JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks, I saw a thread on another forum a while back and how folks were surprised how a stack of halves wouldn't ring up on a CTX. I was too honestly.

Well today I was playing with my equinox testing what different coins and rings read and I grabbed a stack of 7 silver halves I had sitting there and swung over the coil. Nothing came in, I grabbed the Deus and did the same thing. Nothing. So if you are hunting for a roll of silver halves or dollars you may be sad with the results.

The moment I spread the coins out in my hand I got a signal nice and clear as well as the single coin. I did take some video of it and if I can get to load I will post.

Many of you may know this already but I figured I would share since I found it interesting.

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you kindly send the silver coins so I can check with my machine?

GOD Bless

Chris

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I once ran my F2 over a dime and got a solid dime signal.
Running the coil over a roll of dimes I got a bouncy signal from foil to high dimes.

Same with a quarter.
One quarter solid, two quarters and 3 quarters still solid but the signals were up-averaged into slightly higher numbers.
When I tested a roll of quarters it was iron every time.

All these results are because of our detectors filtering subsystems and how they are reacting to these not so normal types of larger more substantial targets.
All detectors are different electronically so there might be many differences in how each brand, line or model reacts to different odd targets like these...I assume.

Add in all the other masking trash out there that can skew signals along with weird behavior from the targets themselves and I come to the conclusion that no detector can really be trusted 100% 100% of the time as much as we would love them to be.
The dig it all guys are right and always have been, the only way to know 100% what you are swinging over is to dig it up and hold the thing in your hand.
The only sure way.
I just pick and choose the targets I dig carefully nowadays because I just don't have the patience for digging anywhere near the amount of targets I used to dig but I do understand that there definitely could be great things I might miss...a roll of dimes, quarters or halves are just a few things on a long list I just don't want to even think about.

All just part of the hobby and one small reason why we are so happy if and when we do manage to find, dig and recover something great.
If there really was a detector that was right 100% of the time about everything there would be a lot more people in the hobby and a whole bunch of people using that magical detector.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might explain why I find so many coin spills where the coins are stacked together in areas hunted by others who are using more sophisticated detectors than my simple 9 function unit. These stacked spills tend to contain several quarters along with other denominations of coins, which really had me puzzled until now because I wondered how anybody could miss such a large target, and many times these stacked coin spills come in clusters in areas I know guys have been over. One day last year I dug 5 spills like this in a 20' x 20' area for over $5 in clad, and I was not the first to hunt this spot.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I spread them out in my hand, still touching they came in fine with all detectors..

Lucky for us we almost never see a roll of coins in the dirt.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've heard this but never tested it. At what number of coins does the detector stop getting a signal if you add one at a time? Does it matter if the stack is sideways or flat? Gotta be the same reason it's hard to hit on chains. I gotta try this some time to believe it haha.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard this but never tested it. At what number of coins does the detector stop getting a signal if you add one at a time? Does it matter if the stack is sideways or flat? Gotta be the same reason it's hard to hit on chains. I gotta try this some time to believe it haha.

I didn't check on exactly how many it took to make them disappear. I went for 1 to about 7 or 8. It didn't matter the direction sideways or vertically, As long as they were in a roll they did not read or read like LOW iron that we all have descrimmed out or wouldn't dig.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my metal detector might be broke. I you guy could send me a gold coin, a few silver coins and maybe a gold nugget. I could possible fix my ATGold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread