digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the vid I was looking for. Will be trying the Nel Attack that I purchased recently on my AT, and if it doesn't perform, I'm afraid the EQ800 is in my near future:laughing7:

Thanks for posting Truth!

just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched this early this morning. Nice video,makes me bummed out I bought the pro...
:(

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a pretty good video. Same thing needs to be done by 1) discovering a nail pit and putting a target down in said pit and testing the machines and 2) the horrid red Virginia dirt test.

From this video, I would not buy one since I already have a Deus and a new Tesoro Vaqeuro. I don't see an advantage to spending another thousand.
Both of my current machines do well in the VA dirt and nail pits if you set them correctly. Too many machines in the closet just doesn't work for me.

I hope someone will take one out to a horrid site and let us know. I'll do that test in March, you never know, cats do change their minds from time to time.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a good video. One thing I believe can be confirmed, the VDI #'s on most machines can be a OK reference point to look at, but it's the sound that I really try to pay attention to.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct sprailroad, and if unsure, dig it. I found one of my gold coins and one of the gold rings on "iffy" signals.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct sprailroad, and if unsure, dig it. I found one of my gold coins and one of the gold rings on "iffy" signals.

Right back at you Smokey, I just cannot pass them up, to many "pleasant" surprises.

Stilllookin Dave

Aug 2, 2017
North Central,Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,
Tesoro Vaquero,
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Teknetics Omega 8500,
Minelab Safari,
Minelab Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the review, it looks like you spent a lot of time on it. I’m looking forwards to receiving my 800 and taking it out with my Safari and Vaquero and seeing how they compare. Dave

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the review, it looks like you spent a lot of time on it. I’m looking forwards to receiving my 800 and taking it out with my Safari and Vaquero and seeing how they compare. Dave

I just put up the video it was easy lol

just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I could do that. I am gonna have to find some valuables before I can justify buying accessories. I have been reading about the 5x8 and getting that itch lol

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking that it’ll totally bum anyone out who bought the pro. Just buy the large coil like we all did.
Exactly. The equinox looks like a great detector but the at pro is no slouch especially for the price. I have found a lot of good finds with 5x8 coil in trashy parks. The larger coils allow for comparable depth to any detector on the market. Until the equinox came along there was no better detector than the at pro as far as "best bang for your buck".

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will be plenty of each type available used by the end of the summer digging season. I for one have a hard time waiting for anything, however, I may wait a bit. I know the smaller coil for the AT Pro will punch down through nail pits and get to the good stuff.

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Etrac with three coils.......XP.Deus........and an AT Pro with the 5x8, I think I am good! As nice as it sounds.........just cant justify it!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Etrac with three coils.......XP.Deus........and an AT Pro with the 5x8, I think I am good! As nice as it sounds.........just cant justify it!

I agree with you cooper, speaking for myself only, I switch between the AT Pro w/two coils, the Safari w/two coils, and do have an X-Terra 70 w/five coils. Having said that, for my hunting needs, it does seem that the 800 will do what the other three will do combined. Sooooo.....in the future my only question to myself will be which "coil" to use, the stock or the 6". Anyway, this will be the last new machine "this" detector guy will be buying, and it seems that it will be a Dandy. (And I would like to have just one more new toy anyway).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, how do you like your safari? What does it excel in?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get another PRO would be going backwards for me.
The DEUS is my usual go to machine. I have some friends back in NYC who will be running the EQ8. I will wait on their reviews before pulling the trigger on another purchase.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, how do you like your safari? What does it excel in?

Smokeythecat, good afternoon, what does it excel in? Well, I'm not sure how to state what it excels in specifically, I can only go by what I myself have used. I do like it very much AFTER I became use to the multitude of tones, pinpointing is dead on, very good depth, the FBS works well in all kinds of ground, and the 5X8 SEF coil is really great on it, and with an extra lower shaft, changing a coil is a snap. I only use the "relic" mode, or of course the all metal. I do realize all these same things could also be said of a number of other machines as well. Often we read," but will it replace the Deus or 3030?" In a word, No. Was not meant to. I do like it though over the AT and X-Terra for general hunting. The new EQ? It would seem, and I do believe that it will, replace many other makes and models around the same price point for certain, and perhaps a couple of spender models as well, because of it's versatility. I really do not have a good answer for your question, I only know that I like it, and will keep it. Now, the EQ? Hmmmmmmmmmm.... Yes, I'll buy one, it's like the 3 I now use, rolled into one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions