Purpose of Handheld Pinpointers

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
After reading many posts concerning pinpointers,thought I would ask what do you use your pinpointer for exactly? To find where to dig your target? Pinpoint so you don't damage your target?Is everyone really using the handheld pinpointer for what it is designed for?What do you expect from a pinpointer?

Upvote 0

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Urban Prospector said:
My bulls eye II seems to only see about two inches is that normal? I like the little light more then the detection.

That is normal in fact a bit better as most of them only "see" about 1 inch. I got my as part of a promotional offer and didn't really think I would use it. Now I wouldn't be without it. As mentioned above it saves digging time, search time and it great for finding those small items that are about the same color as the dirt.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Most of the time, I can pinpoint pretty good with my CZ, they're amazing at pinpointing. But every now and again you'll get a coin thats tilted or something that pinpoints a lttle off. Dig and dig, its still in the hole, somewhere on the side but you just can't seem to nail it down.

The Bullseye nails it every time. I may use it one out of every 10 holes, but if I can't get it the first try with my CZ, out comes the Bullseye. A HUGE timesaver.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I rarely detect without a pinpointer. They're a great help with small targets that match the soil, show you where the target lies in the side of the hole if you missed it on the first dig and can be very helpful in determining if a target is in the first inch or two of the surface. I like that feature whenever I'm hunting in a nice lawn and don't want to disturb the sod any more than I absolutely have to. Overall I've found they speed up my recoveries by a good bit. My two pinpointers of choice are the Sunray and the Treasure mate. I also own an early White's Bullseye and a Merlin. They've all been helpful and so far I haven't had any problem with the switch on the White's. I've read enough comments on that to make me think that the newer models must use a different one than I have. (or I'm lucky) Anyway, I love my pinpointers.
Swing low,
Bill

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I own more than 20 detectors. All of them work. The only one that requires a pinpointer is a Minelab. It's either that, or it's time to go start up my backhoe.

Pinpointers were designed out of consideration for Minelab owners who don't own a backhoe.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Thanks Jeffro..

I'm not exactly the epitomy of "political correctness" I suppose, but one day a guy told me that if I were to tilt my coil sideways I could use the edge of it to pinpoint.

I responded by saying;

"How the h--- am I supposed to get a10 1/2 half inch Minelab coil into the little 2-3 inch hole I'm told I should be digging"?

I seldom use more than a #4 on my CZ, mostly because the ground here is so nasty that it begins to see the ground as a one big target and begins finding a lot of deep stuff that signals as a bell tone. If sens is turned too high many detectors have trouble pinpointing anyway, but Minelabs have the worst time with it..

Different soils act differently though, so I suppose that in a way I'm lucky to own a Fisher. They seem to do just about the best in this area of the country over other newer detectors, and in many ways too, including pinpointing, with the exception of my old Compass and Tesoros series beating them by a very slight margine. I think I'll get a 1236-X2 next. It does work extremely well for hi trash, and is very, very lightweight and can be belt mounted..

Hey HH and watch out for Californians who think they own the rivers. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread