I'm screaming at my computer! AAAAAAAaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggg!!!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WARNING!!!! The following Rant may be offensive; crude; insensitive; repulsive; uneducated; narrow minded;overbearing; heartless; and tasteless to some forum members. :skullflag:
There are a lot of clowns on Youtube and Facebook. Bearded bone heads talking to the camera while walking through the woods; Creative rednecks “broadcasting” from their “Don’t Tread on Me” flag festooned man caves; and “Live digs” by guys explaining for ten-minutes how they just dug a zincoln at three-inches. Let’s not forget all those “unboxing” videos! How in gawd’s name would we ever get our detectors out of their boxes without these edge-of-our-seat videos?

Nail tests; recovery speed tests; depth tests; air tests; setting tests; comparison tests – All of these videos are “testing” my patience! Many times, the elaborate opening graphics are the best part of the video. You would think some of these guys work in a Hollywood studio! Special effects, drone shots, stabilized camera platforms, simply amazing.

Take a close look at some of the top “personalities” out there doing videos, vlogs, blogs, and internet radio shows on metal detecting. Is it any wonder most folks turn up their nose when you say you’re a metal detectorist? Would you invite most of these folks to your home? Let them date your daughter? Let them mow your grass?

Oh yes, I’m one of these losers! Another white, overweight AARP member, who knows-it-all and bloviates with the best of them. However, I am smart enough to know I have a face for radio, and understand folks want me to get straight to the point when I make my vids, not mystify them with my wit, brilliance, and contemplative close up face shots. Huge sigh. I feel much, much, better now. Guess I’ll go see what Diggin Britt is up to. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, thought I would comment but looks like everyone else has said it. No to Facebook and the like. You Tube has become for the most part a Me Too show and after watching a couple of the pulls of bent or smashed cans or "planted coins" and the camera shaking on finds like the Blair Witch movie, not sure if I should just go great or puke. It is not Hollywood, you want sponsors but keep me engaged with what is going on or give up and go sling burgers at McDonalds, please! Not all are like that but can't watch them. Might check out new detectors or someone from TNet with something happening but that is it. Terry, go ahead and rant all you want!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the Relic hunters on Facebook hate me now. I haven't slept in days. There is a black "Plumbing" van just down from my house that hasn't moved in days. Guys with CTX 3030's keep driving by at 3am screaming, "Boom Baby!" I got the wife, dog, and cat off to her Mother's house in Yonkers, but I'm scared. Scared I tell ya! I don't have much ice cream left. :skullflag:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta do what I do, DON'T click on it!, If you can't help yourself like i do sometimes, Just fast forward to the the end to see what stuff they found at the end roundup. If it's 5 minutes or longer I never click on it in no matter what. Last but probably not least is the Last thing I want see in a vid done in the Blair Witch style:tongue3:.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched a few digging with britt vids in the past. Went into the comment section and was amazed at the level of leg humping going on in there. Wow!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to add fuel to the fire but since I'm killing time. Here's a little list of some of my favorite youtubers in no particular order.
Bob Haggard (Hasn't posted a lot but was one of the first to demo the F22. His F22 pinpoints much better than mine ever did)
Drtones24K (Probably the best overall quality editing and drone work) - I was a little disappointed with his book though, didn't learn much.
Grommy Lommy (Tesoro & best intro song :)
QuarterHoarder (must be a master at permissions) - Does live chats as well
Scannerguy1968 (Good test garden and in depth reviews)
Pastmasters (New Equinox Video!)
MrTerrySoloman ( Learn to Ground Balance - Watched at least 100 times - sometimes in the field)
Bill Ladd (Either love him or hate him - But he knows how to hunt and a beginner can learn a lot of history and how to detect in all metal mode.) Yeaah Silva!
53Silver (Lots of Tesoro stuff)

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it when the camera shakes, and there are crappy graphics and people jumping up and down like looneys. But my favorites are the obviously planted coins... "Wow man, I just found a 10 half dollar spill, all key dates!"

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to add fuel to the fire but since I'm killing time. Here's a little list of some of my favorite youtubers in no particular order.
Bob Haggard (Hasn't posted a lot but was one of the first to demo the F22. His F22 pinpoints much better than mine ever did)
Drtones24K (Probably the best overall quality editing and drone work) - I was a little disappointed with his book though, didn't learn much.
Grommy Lommy (Tesoro & best intro song :)
QuarterHoarder (must be a master at permissions) - Does live chats as well
Scannerguy1968 (Good test garden and in depth reviews)
Pastmasters (New Equinox Video!)
MrTerrySoloman ( Learn to Ground Balance - Watched at least 100 times - sometimes in the field)
Bill Ladd (Either love him or hate him - But he knows how to hunt and a beginner can learn a lot of history and how to detect in all metal mode.) Yeaah Silva!
53Silver (Lots of Tesoro stuff)

All of these guys are great detectorists, and most are fun for me to watch as well. I am with you on Bill Ladd. I have to add Green Mountain Metal Detecting (GMMD) to the list of favorites for me. The editing is phenomenal, and the videos are mostly shot by someone other than himself, so the shaking is almost null. His finds too are almost all relics, and none seem to be planted. Well worth checking out if anyone has not seen him yet, and NO, i am not he.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the only social site I participate in. I watch youtube, but honestly almost every channel is turning into an advertising channel.

If I hear "tell me what you think in the comments and make sure you subscribe" again I'm going to smash a random bug.

What bothers me worse though, is the fact that I was having a discussion with my brother in law about an unusual product I couldn't remember the name of (a specific gun holster), and the next morning it started showing up in my browser on various websites.

I never actually googled it or looked at it, and I didn't even have a computer with me. I don't have Facebook on my phone, and the only apps which have access to my microphone is Siri.

Soooooo yeah.

Pops1959

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400,
Minelab X Terra 705,
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett "Carrot" Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched a Youtube video in which someone dug up a bottle cap, and then spent almost 4 minutes fondling the bottle cap and talking about. Just looked like your garden variety bottle cap to me. I didn't have my headphones on so I have no idea what he was gassin' about. Maybe he's into bottle caps. Didn't watch the rest of the video.... I was afraid he might dig up a pull ring and spend another 4 minutes talking about that find....

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING!!!! The following Rant may be offensive; crude; insensitive; repulsive; uneducated; narrow minded;overbearing; heartless; and tasteless to some forum members. :skullflag:
There are a lot of clowns on Youtube and Facebook. Bearded bone heads talking to the camera while walking through the woods; Creative rednecks “broadcasting” from their “Don’t Tread on Me” flag festooned man caves; and “Live digs” by guys explaining for ten-minutes how they just dug a zincoln at three-inches. Let’s not forget all those “unboxing” videos! How in gawd’s name would we ever get our detectors out of their boxes without these edge-of-our-seat videos?

Nail tests; recovery speed tests; depth tests; air tests; setting tests; comparison tests – All of these videos are “testing” my patience! Many times, the elaborate opening graphics are the best part of the video. You would think some of these guys work in a Hollywood studio! Special effects, drone shots, stabilized camera platforms, simply amazing.

Take a close look at some of the top “personalities” out there doing videos, vlogs, blogs, and internet radio shows on metal detecting. Is it any wonder most folks turn up their nose when you say you’re a metal detectorist? Would you invite most of these folks to your home? Let them date your daughter? Let them mow your grass?

Oh yes, I’m one of these losers! Another white, overweight AARP member, who knows-it-all and bloviates with the best of them. However, I am smart enough to know I have a face for radio, and understand folks want me to get straight to the point when I make my vids, not mystify them with my wit, brilliance, and contemplative close up face shots. Huge sigh. I feel much, much, better now. Guess I’ll go see what Diggin Britt is up to. :thumbsup:
Dang Terry! That was so well put you even made me feel better clear over here! Well done Thanks!!!!

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

... :thumbsup:

I for one am one who is a "Don't tread on me ... person" - would suggest all those in this hobby to actually support such a view. Before others take away the hobby. Even reverse some laws on the books.

Okay - as for those who put videos on You Tube - so be it. I've watched a couple of videos and was not impressed. If I need to know something I ask on a metal detecting forum - much better information provided.

What I've thought regarding you tube is that those who put that stuff out there is done more for themselves as anything else. Kind of like snapchat - my first question to one of my kids is "why does your generation think that people want to know everything you are doing 24X7 ..." Never understood posting a picture of myself letting people know what I'm doing - that is a lot of self-importance. Anyhow - from watching various you tube videos supposedly sharing information was all that informative. A lot of excess words and a lot of time wasted. Identify the problem and then get to the point.

Rock Chalk Jay Hawks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread