CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered an Equinox. It seems to be getting awesome field reports from the pros. Just a thought,

Good luck

0313E954-2780-4FD9-8345-18401E7F3104.jpeg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say it depends on your "physical fitness". First I purchased the Etrac, but an hour into each hunt my elbow was killing me. I sold my Etrac and went to the CTX. I do NOT have the elbow problem, can hunt for hours with the CTX and just be tired instead of needing a sling on my right arm.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard the CTX is a killer machine.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX all day long. Save the elbow.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you can go wrong with either Minelab or the Etrac. Seems like the Equinox might be a more budget friendly version of the CTX, with not as many features. I love my CTX but hunt mostly at the beach. If you get the 17in coil, buy the pro-swing or you'll have a rubber arm. With the pro swing, I can swing it for 6-7 hours and still life a beer.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is not much difference in depth between the Etrac (or Exp. II) and the CTX .... WHEN using the same stock 11" coil. But the CTX will get coin sized objects deeper when using their 17" coil (if you could handle the warbly beast). Contrast to the Etrac or Exp. II where going to a larger coil (like the WOT) only gets more coverage. Not more depth.

Still though I'd prefer the Etrac or Exp II because they can accommodate the Sunray inline probe. Also: The CTX is a much more confusing machine to learn, IMHO.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still though I'd prefer the Etrac or Exp II because they can accommodate the Sunray inline probe. Also: The CTX is a much more confusing machine to learn, IMHO.

Keep in mind that if you do want the SunRay in-line probe you will need to find it second hand used with no repair support since they are no longer being made.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind that if you do want the SunRay in-line probe you will need to find it second hand used with no repair support since they are no longer being made.
IIRC, Ralph at SunRay told me in an email, they'll still repair...just not install. And you're absolutely correct...Good luck finding one used...AND cheaper than a new detector! 😱

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IIRC, Ralph at SunRay told me in an email, they'll still repair...just not install. And you're absolutely correct...Good luck finding one used...AND cheaper than a new detector! ��

What a class act to support his product long after it has been discontinued, thank you for the update/correction ‘Ogre

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Yes, sadly. Sunray probes for the Explorer series: R.I.P. I know a bunch of guys who will not update to the CTX or any other newer machine JUST because the loved the Exp + sunray setup so much :(

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Etrac is a SILVER magnet. I nicknamed mine,
"The Monster " My only negative concern when using the Etrac is getting caught in the rain. Although some guys have resorted to throwing a clear plastic bag over the control box in the event of rain.
I know this machine does not like water. Other than that, it is a great machine.
The CTX 3030 has numerous bells and whistles that the Etrac can't match. For one, it is submersible to 10 ft. and will perform well in salt water or on wet sand.
The GPS feature will give you the exact location of single finds or search sites and has a memory that can be retrieved for a return trip to those sites. Excellent feature in the woods. As has been previously stated, there is a lot packed into the CTX and it takes some patience to learn.
There are excellent books by Andy Sabisch on the operation of the Etrac and the CTX. Patience and practice are the key.
Although you didn't ask for information about the Eqinox,, I would suggest that you keep an eye on the reviews.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... that the Etrac can't match. For one, it is submersible to 10 ft. ....

Yes. I've ruined 2 Exp. II's after getting dowsed/knocked down by waves at beach storms. So this is a definite plus of the CTX, if you plan to hunt @ where you might get dunked :( An alternative is the Excalibur. But I dislike the sounds of the Excal . Much prefer the sounds of the Exp & CTX

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. I've ruined 2 Exp. II's after getting dowsed/knocked down by waves at beach storms. So this is a definite plus of the CTX, if you plan to hunt @ where you might get dunked :( An alternative is the Excalibur. But I dislike the sounds of the Excal . Much prefer the sounds of the Exp & CTX

The Excalibur2 is a sweet machine. I’m adding one to my MD collection next week. Yiu are right the Tones are nothing like the Excal or CTX. I don’t care about the tones as much as I care about RESULTS.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to buy an Etrac or the CTX 3030...I like looking for coins and relic's, appreciate anyone's input and or advise.. yes I am aware of the obvious, the price but I would like to know your thoughts, thank you!

I've used both and see very little difference in depth using similar sized coils. My Etrac with a WOT or NEL Attack coil gets another couple of inches of depth over the stock 11" and still find small targets. (I regularly find Jean and other rivets 8" down). The 5 X 10 Coiltek and NEL snake coil get less depth than stock, but, are handy in trashy areas. The CTX has Target Trace which can be a good feature if you get more than one target under the coil. Etrac doesn't have that. I see a slight improvement in stability, but, both are excellent there. You can take both from dry sand, through the wet sand, and into the ocean without the machine squawking. Being waterproof is a definite plus with the CTX if you go more than knee deep. The Etrac is a heavy machine.....especially with a big coil. I use a sling to negate that issue. The CTX is also heavy (even heavier than the Etrac) but it's better balanced. To me, it still needs a sling when using the 17" coil. The Etrac is cheaper to buy and the various coils are too. If money is no object, you don't already own another Minelab with coils fitting the Etrac, get the CTX. If your budget is less, and being waterproof isn't a big issue, get the Etrac. Both are Excellent machines. I am also one who is looking seriously at the new Equinox. The reviews so far are very positive. I'm still waiting for more reviews before pulling the trigger. Something to consider if you're in no rush.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So Many Detector Choices......so little time. Best of Luck to you in your decision. You can also watch Utube videos on those units that you may be most interested in.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This year I’ve found 16 silvers with the Etrac. Last year I found 20 total. Etrac is one fine machine!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! Now I'm not sure what to do! Lol

Find a friend with a CTX or ETrac ask if you could swing it.That will help you make a decission.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread