Historic Maps, Overlays, etc.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What resources have you guys found that are good for researching historic maps?

I have used Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ? and while they are decent, they are not great. There "basic" overlays are off by a decent amount. They sample "premium" one of Boston is spot on, but are they are all spot on with premium? I am not sure and don't want to blow $30 just a find out when the basic should be on.

What I have done is screenshot the map, then go to Home - Georeferencer and look for similar points to overlay the maps.

Here is one of the maps that I have done of my local area: Blackriver.jpg

What do you guys use? Any better tools out there?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found that sources for old maps vary by the location you are trying to research. I would type into Google "old maps your County". Also "old maps and your town". Click on Images and see what old maps are available. In my area W PA the combination of 1800's atlas maps and old aerial photos is the key, plus spend some time learning the Google Maps overlay feature. Good research is the key for great targets!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using the basic Historicmapworks for 4 years. They go back to 1876 in my area and up to 1916. The overlay is sometimes off a half inch or less, but fading in and out I have been able to put myself on some great old foundations I dont care for Google Maps dosent go back far enough in my area

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally run 2 monitors with multiple tabs open to Google maps, historical maps, old aerials, and the county auditor site to check for owner info. I flip between screens to find sites and permissions. It's amazing what you can do online now a days. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally run 2 monitors with multiple tabs open to Google maps, historical maps, old aerials, and the county auditor site to check for owner info. I flip between screens to find sites and permissions. It's amazing what you can do online now a days. :thumbsup:

Loco did you see the Black River map I made with the overlay? There are 3-4 buildings listed that I know for a fact are open fields now. In next year or two I’m going to try to get permissions for them. I bet there is some good stuff there. Going to try to put 5-7 maps all on that one page so we have a good resource for this area we can all use. I would say that maps is 90% spot on. Amazing some of these roads have been here for 150 years.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my work flow.
1. Go to USGS' Topoview website. I download a KMZ file of the target area from the 1950s-70s. These eras (and newer) I've found to georeference in Google Earth the best. You could also just use the most recent topo, but the ones from the 50s-70s still sometimes show abandoned school houses, churches, and houses the new maps won't show.
2. Open Google Earth and open the KMZ file I'm working with.
3. I then go to Historic Aerials or Historic map works and get a screenshot of the target area.
4. I then load that screenshot as an overlay in Google Earth over the KMZ file. They're already georeferenced and usually I have to do a lot less work then. So all I do is match up the Plat lines and you're good to go.
So much easier than trying to use just an 1800s plat and overlay and try to match features and old roads, etc...

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that info. That is a good site for maps that I haven't found and will have to give the Google Earth a shot. Thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco did you see the Black River map I made with the overlay? There are 3-4 buildings listed that I know for a fact are open fields now. In next year or two I’m going to try to get permissions for them. I bet there is some good stuff there. Going to try to put 5-7 maps all on that one page so we have a good resource for this area we can all use. I would say that maps is 90% spot on. Amazing some of these roads have been here for 150 years.

Steve, they may be planted already, but that doesn't mean not to knock on their door. I heard google earth works great. My problem is that my old tower at home is too old to use google earth and my work laptop I do not have administrative right so I can't load software. I do have a 2 monitor setup in both my man cave and at work though.

Have you gotten out with your AT Max yet?

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve, they may be planted already, but that doesn't mean not to knock on their door. I heard google earth works great. My problem is that my old tower at home is too old to use google earth and my work laptop I do not have administrative right so I can't load software. I do have a 2 monitor setup in both my man cave and at work though.

Have you gotten out with your AT Max yet?

Nothing more than the backyard :( Yesterday was a great day but was stuck in the office till 8pm :(

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When can you make some time? I get almost every weekend to hunt both days. I'm Happy hunting 4 or more hours per day. Empty nester, late 50's, and enjoyi the time I swing the coil.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When can you make some time? I get almost every weekend to hunt both days. I'm Happy hunting 4 or more hours per day. Empty nester, late 50's, and enjoyi the time I swing the coil.

First weekend with decent weather (50s) I’m game.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to look at an app called Maprika. They have it for PC (No MAC support at this time), Android, and iPad. Have done a couple of maps with it so far...pretty good from what I've seen so far.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might want to look at an app called Maprika. They have it for PC (No MAC support at this time), Android, and iPad. Have done a couple of maps with it so far...pretty good from what I've seen so far.

I’ve heard of good things, but no Mac support for me is a stinker. I don’t mind doing it the harder way lol

Have an updated how to here with GE:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zL6peQU4vpY

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my work flow.
1. Go to USGS' Topoview website. I download a KMZ file of the target area from the 1950s-70s. These eras (and newer) I've found to georeference in Google Earth the best. You could also just use the most recent topo, but the ones from the 50s-70s still sometimes show abandoned school houses, churches, and houses the new maps won't show.
2. Open Google Earth and open the KMZ file I'm working with.
3. I then go to Historic Aerials or Historic map works and get a screenshot of the target area.
4. I then load that screenshot as an overlay in Google Earth over the KMZ file. They're already georeferenced and usually I have to do a lot less work then. So all I do is match up the Plat lines and you're good to go.
So much easier than trying to use just an 1800s plat and overlay and try to match features and old roads, etc...

My Historic Aerials or Historic map in my parish only goes back to the 1930. I’m trying to get to the 1809’s.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Historic Aerials or Historic map in my parish only goes back to the 1930. I’m trying to get to the 1809’s.

What’s your parish?
Historical Aerials probably only go back to 1920s-30s, but historic map works usually goes back further.
Also make sure your area or parish has had the same name for the last 200+ years. A lot of the names have changed throughout the year. And a final note, is you may have to try searching for old maps of a certain state or territory to get what you’re looking for. If you town or even your parish was formed in 1895 or something and you’re searching for early 1800 maps using your parish name, you won’t find it.
I also found that if your particular area has a major body of water close to it, you can search for maps of that lake or river and find overlapping information. Hope that helps.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What’s your parish?
Historical Aerials probably only go back to 1920s-30s, but historic map works usually goes back further.
Also make sure your area or parish has had the same name for the last 200+ years. A lot of the names have changed throughout the year. And a final note, is you may have to try searching for old maps of a certain state or territory to get what you’re looking for. If you town or even your parish was formed in 1895 or something and you’re searching for early 1800 maps using your parish name, you won’t find it.
I also found that if your particular area has a major body of water close to it, you can search for maps of that lake or river and find overlapping information. Hope that helps.

It sure does help. I live in St Tammany parish. We have a huge Lake..Lake Ponchatrain and have many rivers. Main river where the brought goods over from New Orleans across Lake Ponchatrain is Bogue Chitto River. I detected a sidewalk strip on the street they brought the oxen down and found a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales. Thank you for ANY advice gave and given MDDirt!

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Garret Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this post, I need help with this as well....I will be following!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread