South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, I'm extremely hard on my equipment, swinging in rocky woods, streams, ocean. Bang into hidden rocks under foliage daily...

I love my DD coil. I got some hairline cracks after about 4 months, crazy erratic signals, epoxy fixed for 4 months. Did this repair again after problems returned, fixed for 4 more months. Recently went out in the wet and it returned, dried, epoxied and now I get about an hour + or - and then it goes erratic again. Carry a spare coil now which works fine, but prefer DD. I noticed the wire connection up by the controller had broken the rubber seal, so dismantled this area, connections were OK, so resealed. Did not fix.

The connection into the coil looks fine, but this is the only other weak or stress point I can imagine. Has anyone had issues in this area?

Only other thing I can think of is the moisture from the previous cracks has lead to slow rusting in the coil????

Any home remedies appreciated. Otherwise back to my hobby store to pick up another DD.

Upvote 0

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would almost bet previous moisture in the coil has caused corrosion on the windings so they are not making complete contact. Just about bet you are off to the coil store..:dontknow:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coil cover costs from $10 to $15 for most coils. A cover is an INSURANCE policy and protects the coil from the type of damage that yours has suffered.
A new 8.5 x 11 DD coil sells for $136 at KellyCo.
I would also suggest that you pick up a tin of silicon grease. There are 3 "O" - rings on the AT PRO. They are located on the coil jack, headphone jack and at the battery cover. I suggest that you smear a coating of silicon grease on these rings which will keep the unit water tight. You can get a small tub of silicon grease in any dive shop or on line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx. Picked up a new coil and got a cover for it. I'll try the grease thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread