Makro Jeohunter 3d or makro deep hunter?

Mikail2730

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey.
I am going to buy a metal detector for the first time, and I want it to go as deep as possible. It is going to be used in a dry area, semi-mountanious area. It looks a bit like Cappadocia or Iraqi Kurdistan.
Do you guys have any other recomondations?
It has to be an all around detector, but primarly for treasures and coins.
Thank you. :)

(Dont base them on the price, but your own experiences). :)

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from HELP! over to Forum: Metal Detecting for more exposure :..​

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... but primarly for treasures and coins....

You're going to need to be a little more specific. Because if you meant "treasures" (as in large caches and jars and boxes type things), Then you're going to get one set of advice. If you meant "coins" (as in fumble fingers individual old coins), then you're going to get another set of advice.

And don't say "all of the above". If you get any machine that can do a cross-over purpose of both venues, then trust me: It will EXCEL IN NEITHER arena.

So be more specific on your intended targets/goals. Maybe you need 2 machines ?

OP
OP
M

Mikail2730

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would prefer looking for treasures, but according to Makro's own website and other users say that its good for both. :)
Have you ever tried it, or can you recomend another one? :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I would prefer looking for treasures, but according to Makro's own website and other users say that its good for both. :)
Have you ever tried it, or can you recomend another one? :)

Ok, so you're looking for large objects (not singular fumble fingers coins). Right ? No I have not used either of those Makros. But if you ask me, all that 3d and image stuff is simply to lull the buyer into thinking he going to get something that shows magical treasure box shapes on a screen. It doesn't work like that. All you'll get is get messy blotches of pixels.

IMHO you can get the same info (ie.; that a large object is down below) by simply getting a 2-box unit. Like a TM-808. They will not pick up an object smaller than about a soda can. And will get a jar sized object to 2 or 3 ft. And a toaster sized object to 3 or 4 ft. And a Large television sized object to 5 or 7 ft. deep, and so forth.

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
DEFINITELY can find small items.
I am still learning mine. Rain and mud have slowed me down, but my experience tells me that is not a problem where you are most of the year.

So far I like my unit, but I am still sold on the marketing...lol.

I use the T44 coil and I will say it is a beast to carry with everything else!

I have not used the two-person T100 coil yet, but if I was going alone I would build a non-conductive pull along system on all-terrain wheels.

Mine has definitely found pea size items a few feet deep.

Soon I will be trying it on some rocky terrain like you asked about.

Since I have one you can ask me a question and whenever I take it out I will try to do what you ask...gives me more practice learning it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I am still learning mine.... .

But if he is looking for treasure caches (large objects) as he says, then the ability to find "small items", will actually end up being an impediment. You'll spend all your time checking out little stuff . Tons of metal objects litter the landscape around any old civilization. Which isn't a problem if you're trying to include fumble fingers objects (coins/relics) in your wish list.

But if you're chosen game is caches, then a machine sensitive enough to find coins actually becomes a pain. It's true that they can find a cache just as deeply as a 2-box unit , but ... you'll find yourself perpetually checking out all the beeps. Eg.: a poker chip sized object at 8", might sound like a jar sized object @ 2 ft. Believe me, I've "been there done that". Went cache hunting and convinced myself I could simply "reject all the stuff that sounded shallow and small, and only dig the bigger beeps". But trust me: Nagging doubts send you digging a bunch just to be sure. And if the ground is a solid blanket of nails and such, you can never be sure. Contrast to a 2-box unit, which simply doesn't even see anything smaller than a soda-can sized object. The perfect discriminator against pesky nails, coins, tabs, etc...

Woodrow68

Mar 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeohunter experience

I am still learning mine. Rain and mud have slowed me down, but my experience tells me that is not a problem where you are most of the year.

So far I like my unit, but I am still sold on the marketing...lol.

I use the T44 coil and I will say it is a beast to carry with everything else!

I have not used the two-person T100 coil yet, but if I was going alone I would build a non-conductive pull along system on all-terrain wheels.

Mine has definitely found pea size items a few feet deep.

Soon I will be trying it on some rocky terrain like you asked about.

Since I have one you can ask me a question and whenever I take it out I will try to do what you ask...gives me more practice learning it.

Overseas,
How has your experience been with the Jeohunter? I'm mainly interested in the analysis screen, discrimination and object shape. I've purchased one but haven't received it yet. I plan on doing a lot of testing to see if it works for me, otherwise I will turn around and sell it.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread