Upvote 0

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only ppl you should need to talk to is the city or the ppl laying the cement . I would at least ask even though it is public . I always talk to the city guys as they know future tear outs and public ground that will be moved and all public mowing areas that you my not know exist .

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are lucky to be able to do that where you live. If you swing a coil on a sidewalk strip where I live, there will be 6 cop cars on you within 10 minutes and you will be arrested for defacing public property. My area is really down on metal detecting. Good luck!!

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to keep a safety vest and hard hat in my truck just for this occasion, wear them while your detecting the tear out and most likely no one will give you a second glance because you look like you belong there and are looking for buries utilities. I would go after work when the city crews had quit for the day. ABSOLUTELY imperative that you leave the site like you found it. NO HOLES. Good luck.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, you've already decided. Don't ask, do. Show us your finds when you get back. Good luck.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hunt early morning Sunday before anyone is awake , I think sidewalk if fair game to hunt

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grass curb strips and concrete sidewalks are usually town / city property but it is the homeowners reponsibilty to maintain.
Asking the homeowner for permission is a courtesy but the homeowner does not own the sidewalk or curb strips

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A place detecting is allowed added sidewalks.( Not replacing any ,but putting in new ones) No barricades or keep outs or warnings.
When workers were done for the shift I would detect one of the dug paths.
Scored a well worn silver.
The removed soil was piled ,then relayed to trucks to haul away.
Despite my having detected the site prior to the excavating ( many times) the depth of soil removed was deeper than my detectors reach.
Needless to say ,swinging the sides of the piles produced coins too.

The residents near and the grounds employees were used to me. Police notice but have not stopped me over the course of several years.
So far,so good.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The only ppl you should need to talk to is the city or the ppl laying the cement . I would at least ask even though it is public .... .

1942merc, I work in the construction industry as a sub. On the pecking order of paving, asphalt, concrete , etc... I own a street sweeper company, and we get called out for const. cleanups. So I am quite familiar with the "culture" of the general contractors who do such work. And am quite familiar with the city bureaucracy. And in my opinion, you are just asking for the "safe answer" (ie.: "no"). Because ...... heaven forbid you (gasp) step over the yellow tape, or walk past an orange cone. Then fall and hurt yourself and sue them .

I just help myself to any old town sidewalk demo. I come across. Never had an issue.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... but the homeowner does not own the sidewalk or curb strips

All the more reason not to ask. And actually, if you feel the need to ASK a homeowner, then what does that imply to the home-owner ? It implies it's theirs to dictate/decide on. Ie.: their authority to grant or deny. Otherwise, why would you be asking their permission, if that wasn't needed in the first place ? Sounds to me a bit like asking a total stranger: "Excuse me : Is it all right if I breathe?" (or whistle dixie or pick my nose or whatever). By asking, it merely casts aspursions on you or your activity (that it needs someone else's princely sanction). Sorry, but I'm not going to do that. My hobby is innocuous, harmless and nutritious. No need for princely sanctions from others on public grounds (sidewalks for pete's sake). No more so than I'd think I needed that homeowners permission to walk there.

About the ONLY impediment I can think of, is that there is probably some minutia that says that if a "sidewalk closed " sign exists, or yellow ticker tape, that it becomes somehow a "construction zone". But trust me: If my 40+ yrs. of this, and scores of sidewalk demo's, I've never had a problem . Just go after 5pm when the workers cut out for the day.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t ask, I just do it, just don’t leave any holes but, if it is prepped and ready for concrete I would hold off. Good luck!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the more reason not to ask. And actually, if you feel the need to ASK a homeowner, then what does that imply to the home-owner ? It implies it's theirs to dictate/decide on. Ie.: their authority to grant or deny. Otherwise, why would you be asking their permission, if that wasn't needed in the first place ? Sounds to me a bit like asking a total stranger: "Excuse me : Is it all right if I breathe?" (or whistle dixie or pick my nose or whatever). By asking, it merely casts aspursions on you or your activity (that it needs someone else's princely sanction). Sorry, but I'm not going to do that. My hobby is innocuous, harmless and nutritious. No need for princely sanctions from others on public grounds (sidewalks for pete's sake). No more so than I'd think I needed that homeowners permission to walk there.

About the ONLY impediment I can think of, is that there is probably some minutia that says that if a "sidewalk closed " sign exists, or yellow ticker tape, that it becomes somehow a "construction zone". But trust me: If my 40+ yrs. of this, and scores of sidewalk demo's, I've never had a problem . Just go after 5pm when the workers cut out for the day.

I didn’t ask The more I thought about it it was public property. But I did go in cognito Just in case. LOL IMG_2373.JPG

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

That is known as "urban camouflage"

One time I got off work, and forgot to take off my yellow safety work vest. I went straight to an old vaudeville theater tear-down, where the demolition workers were mid-way through stripping out the interior prior to demolition. Eg.: seats all pulled out, fixtures, etc....

My buddies and I were having a great time with crow-bars tearing out drip-grates in the floor to get coins that over 90+ yrs. had gotten lodged in. And tearing up paneling all around the ticket booth and snack stand, finding coins wherever they could roll into and under.

I guess we must've been making quite a racket, because someone from a nearby building called the cops! The next thing we knew, is loud-speakers saying "Come out with your hands up!! We have the place surrounded! We will send in the K9's if you do not immediately surrender!".

We were shaking in our boots as we emerged into the sunlight, with our hands raised. But the moment the cop saw me (with my yellow vest), he lowered his gun and started laughing. Said "sorry to bother you gentlemen. We didn't know you were still working". He wished us a good day, and told us "there wasn't really any K9's. We just got a call from next door that they thought there was homeless people in there making a ruckus".

At that exact moment it occurred to me that he thought I was a worker. So I just smiled and told "that's fine officer. We know you're just doing your job". Then we went back in and continued our job :)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WELL...It obvious !

...someone with an Equinox beat you to it...LOL

View attachment 1557694

LMAO!!!!! They’re invading my town. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were the ones that tore up the sidewalk so they could detect it. I heard that what they do. Noxsters

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is known as "urban camouflage"

One time I got off work, and forgot to take off my yellow safety work vest. I went straight to an old vaudeville theater tear-down, where the demolition workers were mid-way through stripping out the interior prior to demolition. Eg.: seats all pulled out, fixtures, etc....

My buddies and I were having a great time with crow-bars tearing out drip-grates in the floor to get coins that over 90+ yrs. had gotten lodged in. And tearing up paneling all around the ticket booth and snack stand, finding coins wherever they could roll into and under.

I guess we must've been making quite a racket, because someone from a nearby building called the cops! The next thing we knew, is loud-speakers saying "Come out with your hands up!! We have the place surrounded! We will send in the K9's if you do not immediately surrender!".

We were shaking in our boots as we emerged into the sunlight, with our hands raised. But the moment the cop saw me (with my yellow vest), he lowered his gun and started laughing. Said "sorry to bother you gentlemen. We didn't know you were still working". He wished us a good day, and told us "there wasn't really any K9's. We just got a call from next door that they thought there was homeless people in there making a ruckus".

At that exact moment it occurred to me that he thought I was a worker. So I just smiled and told "that's fine officer. We know you're just doing your job". Then we went back in and continued our job :)

Tom you’ve living a very interesting journey. I love it bro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread