Question: How to get permission at a difficult location

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Near where I live there is the world's largest sandstone quarry that dates back to 1847. It was used from the 1840s through 1980s so you know there is probably some REALLY good stuff buried there. The problem is, what is the best way to get permission to hunt there? It is now owned by a real estate company that eventually wants to build some very high end homes and turn the quarries into recreational spots. The other problem is, these quarries are DEEP with drop offs, so my fear is, that even though where I want to hunt is no where close to quarries that they will worry about liability and say no. So do you guys have any suggestions how to get permission for something like this?

Upvote 0

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a "permission" sheet I printed up. It basically says" I "My name" release the property owner of any and all liabilities of injury or personal property damage while metal detecting on property. I will leave as little of a foot print as possible. I keep a folder of these in my metal detectors carrying bag. I will sign on and give to the land owner. I have a small sheet that reads As the land owner I give 'my name" permission to metal detect on my property and a line for them to sign. That way I have written permission. Iv'e found that releasing the land owner from any liability has opened up a lot of land for me to hunt.The first conversation is ALWAYS the key. I introduce myself, give a little history of what I do and tell them that I fill my holes, will remove any trash, (old cans, pull tabs or any other trash that I find.) and I will leave their property as I found it. Once I have built the rapport , them I tell them that I have a form that I will sign , releasing them of any responsibility.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concur with Lookingharder, I have found that "liability" is the big boogyman in the room when dealing with realty companies/corporations.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about when they do not have a local presence and we have to correspond via mail? Any tips?

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a permission from a real estate company myself. They are not local either. I typed up and email releasing them of any liability and with virtually the same verbage as lookingharder in the body. When they respond with a yes you may hunt, that email can serve as your written permission. I have gained several smaller permissions the same way. It works. The trick is finding someone in the company that can actually grant your permission. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found an e-mail address for the CEO of the company that owns the property and sent him and e-mail and I have received an e-mail back. It is not a no, but it is not a yes yet either. Keeping fingers crossed we can work something out because this could be a GREAT property to work!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an e-mail address for the CEO of the company that owns the property and sent him and e-mail and I have received an e-mail back. It is not a no, but it is not a yes yet either. Keeping fingers crossed we can work something out because this could be a GREAT property to work!

Offer to share photos of the findings for their annual report. Do a good job taking the photos.if not for the annual report then for their company newsletter. Big companies want to humanize themselves. I found that giving something back in return made them human and amicable.

Give and you shall receive.

Good Luck

‘Scoop

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've even offered to share some of the finds with them. They are interested in retaining some of the history of the place as they are going to be building a high end neighborhood with a club house, equestrian center, etc. So I mentioned we could put together a display of some of the finds along with perhaps a map of the area and what was found where.

Heck, I'm just happy I got my foot in the door and it wasn't slammed outright with a no.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Told you. It works a lot now. Seems like a lot of people will respond to an email when they won't take a call or visit thru their secretary... Good Luck

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a old map research and a hardware store own the lot next door surrounded by a fence it had a house from 1910 on it at one time. So I went to ask if I could go swing over it and the guy said I couldn’t for lability reasons. I looked at him like, “ It’s a flat grassy lot you can do better than that. Just tell me you don’t want me to.”

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Latest update: They asked me to contact them in 3 months once they are further along in their permit process of their project. Have it on the calendar and will call them 3 months to the day :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AS others have said above, offer the owner a 'quid pro quo'; something in consideration of their permission. You may also show them a copy of your insurance policy insuring you for any injury you may incur upon the owner's property--to back up your 'release' of any liability (real or perceived) they consider.
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread