Did Minelab really release the Equinox without a way to use it underwater?

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys/girls.
So i'm biting the bullet on a new rig purchase (Equinox) and supposed to pick it up Wednesday.
But my research is telling me there are no headphones i can use (in water) that will keep the Equinox waterproof.
Serious?
Is this normal for a machine to be released that is touted as waterproof, yet have no method to use it under water for weeks (or months)?
Anybody heard differently? Or heard a date on Minelab Equinox WP headphones? Or GreyGhost WP Equinox headphones?
That proprietary screw-in tip is going to keep me out of the water for a while it seems.
:(

*I looked, didn't see this topic thread anywhere, but let me know if i missed it.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now... isn't that interesting.

I guess per what I have learned so far is that unit is a knee deeper.

Now that would / could suck royally on any given day by one simple work of mother nature...

A wave. heh

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a head's up, you can hear the speaker under water, and the headphones are shipping to dealers now, and adapters for CTX and GPZ underwater headphones will also be available.:occasion14:

OP
OP
GroundBalanced

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a head's up, you can hear the speaker under water, and the headphones are shipping to dealers now, and adapters for CTX and GPZ underwater headphones will also be available.:occasion14:

Terry - this would be good news (shipping), but man, i talked to MINELAB custsvc today, and they told me there was still no date for availability of those headphones or adapter.
Just seems plain teasing to get such a nice machine, and have to play with it in the shallows only. :(
Timing wasn't too good on this, but if they can get the headphones available within 1-2 weeks it will be forgivable (maybe).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy you are getting a mish mash of information. I would simply wait a couple weeks to know for sure. However, it strikes me as a not deep water machine also. Waves might getcha and your warranty. I personally don't know, but I was under the impression it was waterproof everything.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well whatever date minelab states you know it will be accurate!..........:clock:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I'm not on the early list.
Some of my friends are salt water hunters and they ain't going to be too happy about this.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If the Equinox 800 and it's release is any indication, one can expect special jacks and waterproof items (headphones) to take towards the end of the year...hopefully, end of THIS year! I'm not so excited to get one now given its limited functionality.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, the AT PRO was released the same way. The stock headphones are not waterproof. I remember using the Gray Ghost Amphibians. That was after I ordered the water proof Garret Headphones.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I haven't ordered , seems no options are offered yet, such as the 6" coil and everything else. Well, it's only March, I can wait. But you would think.............

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke down (mental that is) and ordered a 600 which will be here Monday. 1 week order to delivery. Anyway, I'm going to try it a few times on sorta wet sand, not actually IN the water. It will be a special use machine as I really don't see it beating what I already have. If it does not perform well, look for it on Ebay in the late spring.

With all my machines I've ever bought, it's either live up to the expectations, or get outta here! No closet stored machines here!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never get anything "when it first comes out".

Especially electronics of any kind.

NOW I did have 2 of the first batch of Excal 2's to hit the U.S. but that was because I was able to be on an exclusive list and got them packed w/ extras to my door for $2,500 exact.

I always wait on anything till the buzz dies down... the bugs are worked out... prices are competitively lowered... and extras are released.

Better deals and value usually await the patient.

Nothing gets me so excited that I have to run out and buy anything right away.

I may want something... but wait to buy ... Unless I need it now.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Hey guys/girls.
So i'm biting the bullet on a new rig purchase (Equinox) and supposed to pick it up Wednesday.
But my research is telling me there are no headphones i can use (in water) that will keep the Equinox waterproof.
Serious?
Is this normal for a machine to be released that is touted as waterproof, yet have no method to use it under water for weeks (or months)?
Anybody heard differently? Or heard a date on Minelab Equinox WP headphones? Or GreyGhost WP Equinox headphones?
That proprietary screw-in tip is going to keep me out of the water for a while it seems.
:(

*I looked, didn't see this topic thread anywhere, but let me know if i missed it.

I was told via email today from Minelab that waterproof headphones will be availabe in six to eight weeks. I just got mine today and I can't use it in the water. I am not happy about it but there is nothing I can do but wait.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:

I was told today by the USA minelab rep that there will be no waterproof headphones available for 6 to 8 weeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread