Beginner metal detector?

TreasureNate

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im buying my first metal detector. I just got interested in this and have been doing my research and right now I’m leaning toward the fisher f22 but I would like to get opinions on what you guys think the best is for a beginner. I also looked into the Garrett 300. I want to order today or tomorrow so I hope to here back from some of you soon!

Upvote 0

Corsicana

Feb 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new whites m6. Been put together but never used. Comes with full warranty. Great machine for coin hunting. $425 shipped continental US. My email is [email protected]

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im buying my first metal detector. I just got interested in this and have been doing my research and right now I’m leaning toward the fisher f22 but I would like to get opinions on what you guys think the best is for a beginner. I also looked into the Garrett 300. I want to order today or tomorrow so I hope to here back from some of you soon!
Buy a White's V3i, Start out with the best and you wont be wanting to upgrade, Saves money in the long run. :laughing7:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to learn guitar and bought something I could grow into and not need to buy an upgrade. I knew I would like it and stick with it.

I didn't do that with metal detecting because I didn't know any better. Heck, I didn't even know Tnet existed...so you're one step ahead of me when I was in your shoes. Wish I would have gotten a mid level detector right off the bat. Would have saved money in the long run.

Not the answer you were looking for, but just what came to mind for me.

Misuraco

Dec 2, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX
Detect-Ed red belly shaft
Minelab ProFind 35
All 3 nox coils
Grave Digger tomb stone venom
Grave Digger side kick venom
At pro
Whites Mx5
Garrett ace400
Garrett pro pointer AT
Garrett pro po
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my wife start with ace400 it worked perfect for her to learn with

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not looking to upgrade from what you buy, get the ace 250. If you want an amazing detector, I always push the minelab safari. You could probably find one for 500 bucks used, give or take. It can go on beaches easily, and it’s a monster of a machine. It’s what I currently use and have no plans on ever selling it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked on Craigslist today and see there is a gently used Fisher F44 for sale in Baltimore as well as an Ace 200. Both machines will hunt the dry sands of the beaches okay as well as the other areas you mentioned. The F44 is the better of the 2 and is weatherproof. If you have the money, the Equinox 600 is a good machine as recommended by Terry S and it may be the best for a noob since you will learn the minelab tones and target IDs. it will work better in the wet surf and sand than the 2 machines I recommended. What's your budget?
I highly recommend you get a good pin pointer also. I did hunt my first 6 months without one, but never leave home without one now. They really speed up your target retrieval time which in turn helps you dig more targets during the time you are out swinging the coil.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word of advice....Stay away from Fisher price, they tend to have little children attached to them. Makes them very nose heavy and hard to swing.

gsxr1300

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2018
SE Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

I am new to the forum and new to metal detectors, my girlfriend mentioned she wanted to get a metal detector so I found this site and did some research and ordered a Equinox 600 and it will be delivered tomorrow.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all

I am new to the forum and new to metal detectors, my girlfriend mentioned she wanted to get a metal detector so I found this site and did some research and ordered a Equinox 600 and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Good choice!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all

Smart man.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My girlfriend uses a White's TreasureMaster and has found a lot of good things with it including an 1843 Seated Liberty Quarter. Ask 10 different people which detector to get and you may get 10 different answers. Before she got the White's she used a Fisher F2 but couldn't hunt at all ANYWHERE near a cell phone tower. The F22 may have the same issue.

ink

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mod should stay neutral & do not voice an opinion about any manf. or type of machine. THANKS

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mod should stay neutral & do not voice an opinion about any manf. or type of machine. THANKS

I see you've been here for 6 months and now your the boss??? :dontknow: ??? If that's how you feel, start your own site and just mod without voicing your opinion even though you might have some valuable input.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And always wear sun screen. Enjoy the sport.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I see you've been here for 6 months and now your the boss??? :dontknow: ??? If that's how you feel, start your own site and just mod without voicing your opinion even though you might have some valuable input.
Loco you got that right.....:icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My opinion and experiences in detecting is just as valuable as anyone else here and maybe more than some.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THAT'S what you have to contribute to this thread? 😠 Go stand in the corner.
Another vote for Equinox.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread