Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Beginner metal detector?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2016
    Hawaii
    Equinox 600/Excalibur II/Fisher F75/Whites Beach Hunter ID 300/Fisher F2/Pro Pointer AT
    93 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The F22 you're looking at will work good on land and should do fine on the dry sand at the beach. There really isn't an low price detector that works well in wet salt sand or in the salt water. Although I have never touched one it looks like the Minelab Equinox 600 at $649 is the best deal for a detector that will do land and salt water well. Just my opinion. Good luck on your search and yes as stated above get a good pin pointer.

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    17556 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasureNate View Post
    So what is good for both things I want to do and wonít break the bank?
    There is ONE (1) machine on the market today that literally "does it all." The Minelab Equinox. The "600" model is $650.00 which is the best deal you'll find - period.

Mar 2018
    2 times
    Will the fisher f22 or garret 250 work in rivers/streams/ponds in the forest? The wet areas around them.

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    17556 times
    Metal Detecting
    Will the fisher f22 or garret 250 work in rivers/streams/ponds in the forest? The wet areas around them.
    Yes. Just don't get the control boxes wet!

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ĶMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3211 times
    So what is good for both things I want to do and won’t break the bank?
    Look into a used detector that is well taken care of. There are many up for sale as a result of the Minelab release of the Equinox. I have seen Garrett AT Pros on my local Craigslist for as low as $300. You can totally submerge that machine in your local rivers up to 10ft and it’s a very easy to use machine.

You don’t have to buy brand new. I have seen many ALMOST brand new machines on Craigslist as a result of a person selling it due to health reasons with 1-5 total uses.

Good luck

‘Scoop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031ECF17-13CA-4750-819F-F8CBC8D45864.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	1561467
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Mar 2018
    2 times
    Thanks everyone

Feb 2016
    9 times
    I have a new whites m6. Been put together but never used. Comes with full warranty. Great machine for coin hunting. $425 shipped continental US. My email is jlclemon@swbell.net

us
    Feb 2017
    North Central Arkansas
    white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
    332 times
    So im buying my first metal detector. I just got interested in this and have been doing my research and right now Iím leaning toward the fisher f22 but I would like to get opinions on what you guys think the best is for a beginner. I also looked into the Garrett 300. I want to order today or tomorrow so I hope to here back from some of you soon!
    Buy a White's V3i, Start out with the best and you wont be wanting to upgrade, Saves money in the long run.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2016
    Georgia
    Equinox 800, Ace 400, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
    828 times
    I wanted to learn guitar and bought something I could grow into and not need to buy an upgrade. I knew I would like it and stick with it.

I didn't do that with metal detecting because I didn't know any better. Heck, I didn't even know Tnet existed...so you're one step ahead of me when I was in your shoes. Wish I would have gotten a mid level detector right off the bat. Would have saved money in the long run.

Not the answer you were looking for, but just what came to mind for me.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    16026 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    2272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Check out the specs & price on this one >> https://www.tekneticsdirect.com/prod...tors/liberator
    That has to be one of the best deals going for someone entering the hobby....sub $250.00 with GB and All metal.
    RTR likes this.

us
    digital media / recon manager

Dec 2016
    New jersey
    At pro nel storm Whites Mx5 Garrett ace400 Garrett pro pointer AT Garrett pro pointer II
    113 times
    Metal Detecting
    I had my wife start with ace400 it worked perfect for her to learn with

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    638 times
    If your not looking to upgrade from what you buy, get the ace 250. If you want an amazing detector, I always push the minelab safari. You could probably find one for 500 bucks used, give or take. It can go on beaches easily, and itís a monster of a machine. Itís what I currently use and have no plans on ever selling it.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16002 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I looked on Craigslist today and see there is a gently used Fisher F44 for sale in Baltimore as well as an Ace 200. Both machines will hunt the dry sands of the beaches okay as well as the other areas you mentioned. The F44 is the better of the 2 and is weatherproof. If you have the money, the Equinox 600 is a good machine as recommended by Terry S and it may be the best for a noob since you will learn the minelab tones and target IDs. it will work better in the wet surf and sand than the 2 machines I recommended. What's your budget?
    I highly recommend you get a good pin pointer also. I did hunt my first 6 months without one, but never leave home without one now. They really speed up your target retrieval time which in turn helps you dig more targets during the time you are out swinging the coil.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2280 times
    A word of advice....Stay away from Fisher price, they tend to have little children attached to them. Makes them very nose heavy and hard to swing.
    Dig till you drop!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links