Beginner metal detector?

TreasureNate

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im buying my first metal detector. I just got interested in this and have been doing my research and right now I’m leaning toward the fisher f22 but I would like to get opinions on what you guys think the best is for a beginner. I also looked into the Garrett 300. I want to order today or tomorrow so I hope to here back from some of you soon!

Upvote 0

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Rich Rodgers

Aug 28, 2018
Oklahoma City
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought a Used White's Classic ID

I say Beginner... Back in the 80's I had a White's Liberty Di... It worked pretty good. I liked that it had a depth of a Target on it.

Well, at 70 I thought I would get back into metal detecting. I found a White's Classic ID metal detector on Crag's List. It is old compared to today's metal detectors. However, the Classic ID is newer than the old Liberty Di.. the Classic doesn't have depth. I am excited and go to my back yard just for the fun of it. We have lived here 3 years. 1st target said 1 cent, zinc or ring or bottle cap. Well, let's hope for the best... I dug about 8 inches to find a smashed Pepsi can... Well rats... Will try other places later. Anyone have any suggestions for my White's Classic ID?

Rich

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say Beginner...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Rich Rodgers! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). Also - you might browse Brands > White's for information about your MD.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will expound a bit on what someone posted before.

First: I would advise getting a brand of detector that will have resale value. I've seen so many sad cases where a newbie bought his first detector and it was WAY too advanced (and expensive) for his as-yet unknown needs. Some detectors have a longer learning curve than others, and a novice who hasn't really decided whether he/she really wants to sincerely get into the hobby may be put off by all the effort involved. I've seen several detectors sold at yard sales for nearly nothing rather than collect dust in a closet. However, if you are convinced that you want something to "grow into", then get a good mid-range like the Equinox. Sounds like you've already made that decision.

Second: a good pinpointer is an essential that many don't think they will need until they try one. I have a Garrett Pro hand-held, and I literally get a case of the shakes when I find I don't have it with me for some reason. It saves me half my normal digging time, and has good range and battery life. It's also waterproof. I've used a few other pinpointers but I've never found one better than the Garrett.

Regardless, good luck. And we're looking forward to seeing your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread