Beginner metal detector?

TreasureNate

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So im buying my first metal detector. I just got interested in this and have been doing my research and right now I’m leaning toward the fisher f22 but I would like to get opinions on what you guys think the best is for a beginner. I also looked into the Garrett 300. I want to order today or tomorrow so I hope to here back from some of you soon!

Upvote 0

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net............................:hello:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are you looking for gold nuggets at the bottom of the ocean or zincolns at the park?

Details... What, where, when, how, why? Not an easy answer unless you tell us what/where you plan on searching.

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a garret 200 ,reasonable priced and did all I wanted it to do...I wouldn't get into a high priced detector to start in case you find out detecting isn't what you want

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bounty hunter land ranger pro looks good

OP
OP
T

TreasureNate

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on searching the forests around my area. There is a lot of history on the eastern shore of md. Also might take it to the beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on searching the forests around my area. There is a lot of history on the eastern shore of md. Also might take it to the beach.

It does not work well on salt water beaches, it is single freq detector, will work well in the forests.

biyaa

Feb 26, 2017
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend get Garrett 250 second hand if you able get one. If I go back from start I would pick this detector. It an all round detector with good quality built. Forest it will do great and beaches you will mostly detect on the dry sand (its not suited on wet sand). Also if you later decide this hobby not suit your need, resell easy also as it good brand and there always someone has their eyes on this model. Best luck

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a F22 and it is great for rec. park/playground hunting and fine for open field. I actually love the all metal mode its my favorite for trashy sites.
Pinpointing has a learning curve due to the teardrop coil.
The 250 is hard to beat for the price if you really want VDI, but for the bang I would go for a Tesoro Compadre or Mojave. The Mojave is a really great price at $250.

If you really want the F22 I would part with mine as I have moved up so to speak. you can email me at [email protected]
Best Luck

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would highly recommend you buy a decent pin pointer as well. Don't skimp on it. It is well worth the $!

Last edited:

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to start over, I'd start with a Land Ranger Pro or a Eurotek Pro.
Decent features and performance at a cheap price.

If you need everything including digger and pinpoint and want a TOP performer, T2+ complete package is $550.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
T

TreasureNate

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is good for both things I want to do and won’t break the bank?

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F22 you're looking at will work good on land and should do fine on the dry sand at the beach. There really isn't an low price detector that works well in wet salt sand or in the salt water. Although I have never touched one it looks like the Minelab Equinox 600 at $649 is the best deal for a detector that will do land and salt water well. Just my opinion. Good luck on your search and yes as stated above get a good pin pointer.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There is ONE (1) machine on the market today that literally "does it all." The Minelab Equinox. The "600" model is $650.00 which is the best deal you'll find - period.

OP
OP
T

TreasureNate

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will the fisher f22 or garret 250 work in rivers/streams/ponds in the forest? The wet areas around them.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the fisher f22 or garret 250 work in rivers/streams/ponds in the forest? The wet areas around them.

Yes. Just don't get the control boxes wet!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Look into a used detector that is well taken care of. There are many up for sale as a result of the Minelab release of the Equinox. I have seen Garrett AT Pros on my local Craigslist for as low as $300. You can totally submerge that machine in your local rivers up to 10ft and it’s a very easy to use machine.

You don’t have to buy brand new. I have seen many ALMOST brand new machines on Craigslist as a result of a person selling it due to health reasons with 1-5 total uses.

Good luck

‘Scoop

031ECF17-13CA-4750-819F-F8CBC8D45864.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread