Shiva6150

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2015
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Gerrett ultra GTA-350 - Was OK.
Radio shack POS... Never again.
Tesoro Lobo ST... Best of the best!
Harbor Freight 9 funtion - excellent disc.
Fisher 1265X - current daily driver, loves silver, HOT!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about getting a smaller coil and trying to decide between the fortune or shrew just wondering how they compare to each other for target seperation and sensitivity to small gold/jewelry.

I can't decide wich one to get, will be for the t2(comming soon) or minelab ExplorerXS(pawn shop find, on layaway). I hunt some trashy areas sometimes.
I also want to know if the minelab XS can use newer etrac coils(both are FBS machines), and if I can get coils for my fisher 1265x, also need battery holders for the 1265 and wondering if the generic 4aa holders work or other simular ones from other manufactures work since I can't seem to find online the ones for the 126* series machines, but find them for gerrett, tesoro, etc. and they look the same. My gta350 had a simular battery setup to my 1265x.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Explorer XS and the Etrac. I've swapped coils between them with no problems. For moderate iron/trash infestation, I use the Coiltek 5 X 10 Joey. For heavy trash, I use the NEL Snake. Both lose a bit of depth over the stock 11" coil. FYI, I find the Etrac is better to use in iron than the Explorer. In non-ferrous trash, it's about the same. I don't have a T2 or 1265, so, I can't help you there.

OP
OP
S

Shiva6150

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2015
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Gerrett ultra GTA-350 - Was OK.
Radio shack POS... Never again.
Tesoro Lobo ST... Best of the best!
Harbor Freight 9 funtion - excellent disc.
Fisher 1265X - current daily driver, loves silver, HOT!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info, good to know the newer coils still work on the xs, and will look into the coiltek, recently got hit with a snow storm, forecast said 6", ended up being 2 feet.???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread