Ghost Signals?

guitarplaya39

Mar 2, 2018
RVA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a decent example of my particular problem... I'm still very new to the hobby so bear with me!

On a brief hunt the other day, I had several hits which sounded decent. Pretty consistent signals both directions. Able to pinpoint the target easily. But after some digging, the signal completely disappears. No shovels, boots or anything else near the coil. Coil connector is tight. However, I did have the sensitivity set pretty high. Could clumps of mineralized soil or something breaking up while digging? The hits were in the mid high range, usually 60+.

Thanks for any assistance!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
guitarplaya39: Whenever someone comes on with a "disappearing signals" issue, it's invariably something that can't be diagnosed over printed text. Because the very word "signals" is a sound specific word. So, don't get "lost in the examples", but when one person says "signals" , another guy is hearing "flutter", that he knows to ignore. Or even when you think your steel toed boots and shovel is clear of the hole, other things THAT CAN'T BE DIAGNOSED unless someone is there, is occurring.

Let me give you an example:

1) Friend of mine got an XLT (which is a fairly fast motion discriminator). But he kept experiencing "disappearing signals". He sent it to the factory two times for "repairs". Each time they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. They insinuated that he must be operating it wrong. Which only infuriated him more, since he'd read the instruction manual 5x, from cover to cover, and "was not a dummy"

I tried coaching him over the phone, but ..... no amount of email text or phone calls was allowing me to diagnose it. We hooked up to try some sample hunting. I spotted the problem in 10 seconds: Whenever he'd get a signal, he'd "slow down to hear it better". Lo & behold, the target 'disappears' (because his motion slowed down too much for the disc. to kick in). Hence only the very shallow targets (that required little motion) is all he could find.

I even asked him: "I thought you said you read the manual 5x. Didn't you see the part where it said motion required ?" He said "Yeah, but I thought it just meant to move the coil from side to side, as you progress/walk through the field. And I thought: 'That's a silly instruction. HOW ELSE is someone supposed to ever detect, if they sat there motionless and never swung the coil" Doh!

So my advice is to hook up with a proficient user in your area, to trade off flagged targets. And to plant targets (in sterile clean ground fffaaarrr out in clean fields/woods that you have no doubt is sterile). Test on the planted targets.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, this happened yesterday... I got a high tone on the Minelab Equinox, dug a plug and swept..... gone! Nothing there. Upon putting pin pointer in the hole I pulled out a big rusty nail. Stood up swept again.. high tone!

Below the nail was a masked silver Canadian dime. IMG_0026.JPG

Now...... was the detector sounding off on the dime or the nail? This I do not know.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet ashes are hard to diagnose.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Understand that ALL your detector can do is judge relative conductivity of what is under the coil based on your most recent ground balancing.

A detector is a dumb bit of electronics with circuits and parameters programmed in to assume coin sized and shaped objects might be within a coil's width in depth under the surface. YOU have to do the deep thinking and judge how it is doing.

In one site I was getting HUGE returns but found nothing. Turned out to be the hair-size nichrome wires from old carnival lights. Drove me nuts until I found the brass screw in base and then noted the bits of clear glass. D'oh!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was in about 2-3 ft of water and got a reliable and good signal from my Excal. As I started to dig the target with my sand scoop it swam away! I was detecting a hook in a flounder and when I hit him with my scoop he took off...and the signal disappeared.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is your disc. Turned up at all? After removing dirt the detector could be seeing it as iron. I've had many signals disappear this way. Could be hot rocks that are hard to find. Sens. Could be set too high. The sens. Is the easy one to check.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a decent example of my particular problem... I'm still very new to the hobby so bear with me!

On a brief hunt the other day, I had several hits which sounded decent. Pretty consistent signals both directions. Able to pinpoint the target easily. But after some digging, the signal completely disappears. No shovels, boots or anything else near the coil. Coil connector is tight. However, I did have the sensitivity set pretty high. Could clumps of mineralized soil or something breaking up while digging? The hits were in the mid high range, usually 60+.

Thanks for any assistance!

Mineralized soil can do that.....also removing the halo around a deep target can. a couple more scoops of soil and it will usually come to light. A good pin pointer will help on those.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, this happened yesterday... I got a high tone on the Minelab Equinox, dug a plug and swept..... gone! Nothing there. Upon putting pin pointer in the hole I pulled out a big rusty nail. Stood up swept again.. high tone!

Below the nail was a masked silver Canadian dime. View attachment 1565202

Now...... was the detector sounding off on the dime or the nail? This I do not know.

Hit the iron reject button,then all you will here is the dime.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie was about the closest to your answer. This happens every hunt to me. If I take the time I usually find a dime, zinc, or piece of foil doing this. Also small fine chain will do this too. Target mask will produce coins, I cleaned up one day digging those iron signals. Iron disk will disc out other things too, so I use it sparingly. Get a pin pointer and search the sides of the holes or roots of the grass when this happens. See if this helps any.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit the iron reject button,then all you will hear is the dime.

Some do. Some will null on the iron and not spot anything below it; or even close beside it. That's where you start to see the advantage of spending a little more for better circuitry.

Make a little test garden and bury a coin below and beside a nail. Sometimes the "nyuk-EEP!" from one direction and a "B!-uh" from the other is a coin below trash. Or foil. Learn the speed your detector likes to sweep and lift and lower the coil when sweeping different directions on a target. Then dig everything initially to see what's up and learn from experience.

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good signals disappear regularly for me and I have found that about 50%, at least, are targets that have sank lower in the hole, beyond detection, after an unsuccessful scoop of sand and I always take at least one more big scoop in the middle of my hole and out pops the target. Happened today. I was working the low surf and was digging a target when it disappeared. One deep scoop brought up a ring, costume jewelry but ya never now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread