I tried electrolysis for the first time and I love it.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys I wish I would have taken a “before” picture, but it was just a chunk of rust (but deep) with a hollow hole, so I didn’t think much of it. But I guess it was interesting enough to capture my curiosity. I left it on for 48hrs knocking off rust along the way and here I have it....a cool old lid!! IMG_2451.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2453.JPG

Wife not to happy with location I chose I can tell you that. Lol IMG_2450.JPG

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, using a stainless object in the process creates a toxic brew. Wear gloves and keep that water away from food.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the apple cider vinegar soak, it takes a bit longer but I have managed to stay out of the doghouse :laughing7:

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Truth, using a stainless object in the process creates a toxic brew. Wear gloves and keep that water away from food.

Correct, stainless is toxic in an electrolysis tank. I recommend rebar. It is cheap and can be bought at a home improvement store.

I have a 75 gallon E-tank and a 50/10/2 battery charger. I use arm and hammer washing soap I use the E-tank to clean cast iron cookware. Skillets, lids, dutch ovens, cornbread pans, griddles, ect. My wife likes cast iron. She has a fairly large collection. I get the distinct honor of cleaning it. lol

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you have a lid, what I think it is is the front cover to an old car starter housing.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that’s why they had that hole in It already. Thanks ecmo
Also betting if you scrape a little more rust from immediately around the large center hole and scrape in it you should see brass color from the bushing for the armature shaft. The 2 small holes near opposing edges is for the small diameter, but long, bolts to rear end of housing. Even think it's a GM starter.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also betting if you scrape a little more rust from immediately around the large center hole and scrape in it you should see brass color from the bushing for the armature shaft. The 2 small holes near opposing edges is for the small diameter, but long, bolts to rear end of housing. Even think it's a GM starter.

ecmo that’s amazing to me lol

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis becomes addictive. I'd had 3 chargers going at times to clean my rusty relics.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to start looking for iron now lol.Actually there is a lot of great old historic iron in the ground but it takes a heck of a lot of love to stabilize an artifact once out of the tank.Rust never sleeps.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to start looking for iron now lol.Actually there is a lot of great old historic iron in the ground but it takes a heck of a lot of love to stabilize an artifact once out of the tank.Rust never sleeps.

Yeah that’s wear I get lazy lol

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you do electrolysis on old rusty iron, knock the loose rust off with a hammer. Sometimes I scrape the relic with an old file to get more rust off. The electrolysis process goes a lot quicker with that rust off the relic.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you do electrolysis on old rusty iron, knock the loose rust off with a hammer. Sometimes I scrape the relic with an old file to get more rust off. The electrolysis process goes a lot quicker with that rust off the relic.

Yeah I’ve been noticing mine where taking days. Thank you pa

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth it IMO, but remember that forged material is easier to stabilize than cast iron. The axe should be a good candidate for conservation......Just do it outside, haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread