Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has their own favorite method. I spray with WD-40, after it dries I coat with lacquer, either spray or brush from a can.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a 12 volt battery, I think that's the voltage, the older boxy kind about 4" x 5" you use for a hand lantern, two wires with alligator clips and a plastic tub. I use baking soda for the reactant. Then spray with satin polyurethane when completely dry, which is at least 1 week later.

OP
OP
K

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV, Garret Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA Plateau....So you don't use electrolysis at all? Or is this how you take care of them after words?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat...that sounds like something easy enough for me, how long do you soak? Is the week later the drying time? And any idea who sells those alligator clips? Thanks so much for the help!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there are many ways to do it....does anyone have an easy poor mans system and can tell me how to treat things afterwards? I appreciate any recommendations...my relics are piling up and I would like to restore them as much as possible...thanks

102_8640.JPG 102_8639.JPG 102_8633.JPG 102_8641.JPG over night for the ax head, then oil and put in the oven like you would season a cast iron fry pan. Works great. Just remeber it is directoinal, so the more sacrifical cathodes you use the faster and better it will be. Picture is an early set up. I use four cathodes

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis should always be a last resort, or for iron relics. Be careful with anything you do as it can damage stuff. First thing you need to do is get a adjustable dc power supply. A good one from amazon is like 150 bucks to get the amp range you will need for different size objects. Then do some reading and build a set up, you will need several things including a plastic container to hold everything, a few pieces of steel/iron to use as a sacrificial anodes.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electrolysis should always be a last resort, or for iron relics. Be careful with anything you do as it can damage stuff. First thing you need to do is get a adjustable dc power supply. A good one from amazon is like 150 bucks to get the amp range you will need for different size objects. Then do some reading and build a set up, you will need several things including a plastic container to hold everything, a few pieces of steel/iron to use as a sacrificial anodes.

Hence the battery charger with different amp selection, I only use this on big iron.............Not for coins and small stuff. Common sense is your friend

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence the battery charger with different amp selection, I only use this on big iron.............Not for coins and small stuff. Common sense is your friend

yes sir absolutely, just making sure the OP understands this before just throwing a bunch of stuff into a pot and zapping it haha

OP
OP
K

Kasper1212

Mar 6, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Thank you!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA Plateau....So you don't use electrolysis at all? Or is this how you take care of them after words?

Yes, I use electrolysis, The way you worded it sounded like how to treat afterwards. Maybe I misread it.

MM32KY

Greenie
Apr 23, 2017
Southern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of YouTube videos on how to set up a electrolysis tank. My suggestion to only use it for solid iron relics period. No tin, copper, brass or other material. You run a high risk of destorying the item. An Etank will remove all rust and anything else to is loosley attached to the iron. I have a 20 gallon Etank and at times it runs 24 / 7 restoring cast iron.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use it often. Ruined a spanish silver coin once. It was only in the tank 5 minutes and that was too long. I generally now soak iron in something called "Iron out" found a a place like Lowe's or Home Depot. About 3 days. Then take it out and depending on what it is, if it has any size to it I smack it repeatedly with a 4 ounce tack hammer, which removed most of the rust, then wire brush, and finally coat with either oil or poly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions