I found X with X!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Sometimes, when a new product is released, you will see posts about how this product found a valuable item in a pounded spot. While you may feel the finds are from the fantastic, newly released machine you just plunked down your hard earned money for, it is most likely due to two things. Digging more than you normally would and paying attention.

The psychology here is; I got a new detector, I want to see how it works, I paid money for this, I am paying attention. Are there other factors? For sure. but for this article, I am focusing on just these.

The mechanics of it; So when you receive a new detector, you want to get the most out of it. So you read everything you can, watch as many videos as you can stomach, and play with different settings. You try to squeeze the maximum yield out of the machine. You go to your old spots hoping to breathe new life into them, plus you have the, "home field advantage" where you feel most comfortable. You are paying attention to every noise no matter how tiny.

The "amazing" new finds; So you get out there and suddenly, you are finding things you "missed". Gold, silver, conductive pieces, relics seem to come out of no where! Excited, and rightfully so, you post about this amazing new wondrous machine!

The reality; the reality is, you most likely could of found those with most any machine, even your old one. But why didn't you? You got too comfortable. Too complacent. You stopped paying attention and you dug less. You also forgot about all the hard work and learning you invested into the new release.

What have we learned here? We learned that a newly released machine isn't the messiah we think it is when we find things in a pounded out area. It is your hard work, and your time invested in the machine and the hobby as a whole that helped you. It is your paying attention to what is going on under the coil that provided you with that, "missed find".

Bottom line, when you find something in a pounded site, give yourself some credit.
smilie1.gif

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of strength in the power of 'X."
I remember one time, a couple of friends and I got together for a day of fishing. We rented a small skiff with an outboard and left the dock on a search for some Stripers. It took us about 2 hours to finally locate where the fish were biting. We loaded up on Stripers, Weakfish, and Blues. Man, what a successful trip we had. Then I got into metal detecting. My friends often call and ask me to take them to that spot where we caught all those fish. They know that I know where it is because before we left for the dock, they saw me mark that spot with an "X"

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, when a new product is released, you will see posts about how this product found a valuable item in a pounded spot. While you may feel the finds are from the fantastic, newly released machine you just plunked down your hard earned money for, it is most likely due to two things. Digging more than you normally would and paying attention.

The psychology here is; I got a new detector, I want to see how it works, I paid money for this, I am paying attention. Are there other factors? For sure. but for this article, I am focusing on just these.

The mechanics of it; So when you receive a new detector, you want to get the most out of it. So you read everything you can, watch as many videos as you can stomach, and play with different settings. You try to squeeze the maximum yield out of the machine. You go to your old spots hoping to breathe new life into them, plus you have the, "home field advantage" where you feel most comfortable. You are paying attention to every noise no matter how tiny.

The "amazing" new finds; So you get out there and suddenly, you are finding things you "missed". Gold, silver, conductive pieces, relics seem to come out of no where! Excited, and rightfully so, you post about this amazing new wondrous machine!

The reality; the reality is, you most likely could of found those with most any machine, even your old one. But why didn't you? You got too comfortable. Too complacent. You stopped paying attention and you dug less. You also forgot about all the hard work and learning you invested into the new release.

What have we learned here? We learned that a newly released machine isn't the messiah we think it is when we find things in a pounded out area. It is your hard work, and your time invested in the machine and the hobby as a whole that helped you. It is your paying attention to what is going on under the coil that provided you with that, "missed find".

Bottom line, when you find something in a pounded site, give yourself some credit.
smilie1.gif

You hit it exactly on the head! People are finding gold left and right because they are digging every signal. It happened to me when i first got my Impact. I went out to a park and found about 40 foreign coins that i had passed over with my E-trac, Tejon and Compadre. I have no doubts i could have dug every one of them with my other detectors but, i was complacent and chose not to dig rather than dig.

I also agree that people need to give themselves more credit on finding the items and less credit to the detector.

halfstep

May 11, 2010

smilie1.gif

Very well put. When a guy gets a new detector, he goes into the learning stage. His mind is open to gathering info by reading, watching, listening, analyzing and recovering. Once he uses the detector for a while, maybe 40 hours of detecting time, he has learned most of what he will ever learn in that first 30-40 hours. After that he goes from the learning stage to the operating stage. When in the learning stage, he learns both truth and error. He may detect with that detector for the next several months to several years and never correct the errors he has learned. Those errors will equate to missed treasures. You keep practicing a bad habit, you will get better at doing that bad habit. To truly master a detector, one must eliminate the errors they have learned and replace it with truth. The only way to do this is every time you go out, take some time to question yourself and to verify something you have previously learned. Dig a few targets that you normally pass on and see if you are right/wrong. Assuming you know your detector like the back of your hand is usually a critical mistake. Due to having screws in both ankles and my back, I am forced to detect smarter, not harder. I can't carelessly detect and not regret it the next day. I must be smart and be more critical of my time spent detecting. I make a good effort to stay in the learning stage all the time and keep refining my knowledge of the detector and correct the learning errors as I go along.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in a real bad spot, sometimes I just defer to a shovel!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread