Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
ā—„ Minelab CTX 3030
ā—„ XP Deus
ā—„ Minelab Equinox 800
ā—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father in law started last year with the 300 it got him started in the hobbie, its a great entry detector, iv'e seen him make recoverys at 6'in and he pulled a lot of clad with it. He upgraded this year to the Minelab Equnox so the Garret lasted him about a year before he decided to upgrade. His main reason for upgrading was beach detecting and shallow water hunting.

Search Youtube youll find a few video reviews

Check out the Garrett forum section also
Garrett

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my young son the 300 to upgrade him to a mid-level detector. He watched the video about five times, and he was out the door chasing coins. Success...including some jewelry and a couple of wheaties. It's a great machine for the money! It will carry you through learning and deciding whether TH'ing is your thing. Later, you can step up to much more complicated and functional machines.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Financially, the purchase of an ACE 300 shouldn't be bad. Especially if life gets in the way of your detecting, or you decide that metal detecting isn't your thing.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want VDI display the 300 is hard to beat (Or so I've heard) for $250. You might also consider the Silver Umax. If you really want a good entry detector and don't want to break the bank. Get a Compadre and a good pinpointer.
The Compadre is a pretty sweet machine for under $200.

If you find you like the hobby and become obsessed then you can save for a mid to high end detector and you'll always have a backup.

OP
OP
M

M.Brian

Greenie
Mar 18, 2018
Connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice, I have to weigh a lot of options, thankfully thereā€™s still a few weeks before itā€™s warm enough by me to get out there. Iā€™ll be ready when the warm weather arrives I hope. How does the compadre compare stats wise to the ace 300?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't speak specifically on the Ace 300 but the VDI on the ACE 250 is decent on targets upto 6" were iron is not a factor. So for example if you bury a penny, dime, quarter and there are no nails or pop tabs close by it will tell you what your digging. Of course there is a whole bunch of other items you will be fouled by that will show up as well. The Compadre is just a beep and dig machine but it has a reputation and I have seen it first hand of finding small gold on the tot lots and parks. You'll be digging trash for sure but you will learn alot.

I would say you will get more depth on the 300 and for $250 it's probably the most recommended vdi machine on the market. I choose to buy the Fishers F22 at $229 and there are some features I really like about the F22. I love the all metal and jewelry mode, but I have had issue's with the cheap buttons and recovery speed & unmasking is terrible. FYI the liberator looks like it has a similiar screen and PP button?

I got hung up on a pinpoint button when I was first looking but with a good machine you will almost never use it to locate a target. When a tesoro beeps you know exactly were to dig.
Were I live you can probably sell an ACE quicker because it seem like every weekend warrior is using them.

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i just started with a Technetics Delta. I've found lots of coins, jewelry, civil war relics. Some pretty deep too. Over 10". It's really light. Easy to use and it has VDI display in Discrimination and all metal mode. It runs about $280.00 and i added a DD coil which was $122.00.

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the the 300. I also like the fact that the Ukrainians have built a waterproof control box cover for it. You can't go wrong with it. It's a well behaved, reliable machine. You do get a bit more for less money going with something like the Teknetics Liberator. It's a proven performer with enough features to keep you busy for a bit. It's faster, deeper in ground, and better in iron. Then you also have the recently reduced Minelab X-Terra 305. It is capable of running two frequencies. 7.5khz for the silver/lead end of the spectrum and 18.75khz for gold. It's probably the deeper of the 3 I've mentioned, but not as quick as the Liberator. It's now $259. It used to be that you had to switch coils on the X-Terras to get them to change frequency. These days special aftermarket coils are available that can run both frequencies of the 305 or all 3 of the 505 and 705. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521639598.151449.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread