Looking for advice

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing a lot of research but I'd figured I'd sign up and ask here also. I'm looking into getting my first detector. The areas I have in mind to dig are some woods at my parents where my dad says a house used to be, it must be an old site because I can't find it on any historical maps. There is also an old race track from the early 1900's that is now just all woods. I'm also only 40 minutes from the jersey shore, hoping the wife will go on these since she likes the beach.
I plan to off load some tools I no longer need since I switched from the field to sales. My thoughts are to start with a Bounty Hunter Tracker pro and a good pointer. I guess my question is, will it cover the areas I want? Or should I cry once and get a Garrett at pro since it is water proof and I'd like to eventually do some streams near my dads. Especially if I can get permission to do the old cannon ball factory, I think it is state owned, but a lot of people go tubing in the summer.
Oh, and Hi, from reading you all seem like a good bunch.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Oldhead! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for suggestions - you might consider browsing the different Sub-Forums: Brands
3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiple detectors you can buy, what is your budget, keeping in mind saltwater requires a more expensive detector than the woods?

OP
OP
Oldhead

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Oldhead! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting for suggestions - you might consider browsing the different Sub-Forums: Brands
3rd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.
Thanks for that sub forum link. I haven't come across that yet
Multiple detectors you can buy, what is your budget, keeping in mind saltwater requires a more expensive detector than the woods?
No real budget except the wife lol.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard!

First off, stay within your budget or your wife will give you evil looks! It's easy to get carried away in the wonderful hobby. Geez, I only own 7 detectors right now.... I do use 3 from my collection - CTX, Tesoro Tejon for dirt, and Excal II for the water. The CTX is a beast, but I actually do as well with the Tesoro Tejon I picked up used for $300. Moral there is that $2500 doesn't dig you anymore targets than just a really good machine from other manufacturers. Sometimes the CTX will tell me not to dig what could have been a great or valuable find. It's all in the user of the machine. A solid target in two directions merits a dig.

You WILL dig trash, get used to it and get over it. If you don't you'll miss the gold.

Advice as to what detector to purchase? Well, there's plenty used ones on Craigslist presented by people who wanted to get into the hobby and found it just wasn't for them, maybe as much as 90% of the dreamers. We as treasure hunters must be a pretty weird class of individuals.

If you really take to the hobby, your wife will need one as well (that would help your marriage).

My advice would be to get a good solid machine, used, like a Tejon. Then as you "mature" into the hobby you can look to something else and give your wife the Tejon - and she still might kick your butt regardless of what you swing!

My ex-wife never did get into the hobby.....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With all the hoopla about the Minelab Equinox you might want to consider the 600 series, it will do both land and salt water. The AT Pro is a VLF machine which will not work too well in the wet sand or in the water at the beach.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Maryland. Also consider a Tesoro. The Cibola and Vaquero are good all around machines. The Vaquero has a dual discriminator, so you can switch in a millisecond from one discrimination setting to another. Both work well at salt water beaches, either wet or dry sand. My Cibola found a $1500 gold and diamond ring with it two fall seasons ago in dry sand and the signal was deep. The AT's do have more of a problem with the salt.

A used Vaquero is pretty inexpensive. Now I also have a XP Deus. It is pricey but you don't have to dig as much trash with it. Some advantages are you can HEAR the difference in the targets and not really have to rely on a VDI which sometimes VDI's don't always tell the truth! Tesoro has a lifetime warranty to the original owner and I bought a used machine once, sent it to them to totally refurbish it and it only cost $75 to make it like new. Something to think on.

fastliketurtle

Greenie
Jan 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is for minelab equinox 800 or 600 if your impatient. From the videos I've watched I think it's gonna be the best out there. It's light, Water proof, deep, fast, and stable. Seems to me its the best for the $$

OP
OP
Oldhead

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!

First off, stay within your budget or your wife will give you evil looks! It's easy to get carried away in the wonderful hobby. Geez, I only own 7 detectors right now.... I do use 3 from my collection - CTX, Tesoro Tejon for dirt, and Excal II for the water. The CTX is a beast, but I actually do as well with the Tesoro Tejon I picked up used for $300. Moral there is that $2500 doesn't dig you anymore targets than just a really good machine from other manufacturers. Sometimes the CTX will tell me not to dig what could have been a great or valuable find. It's all in the user of the machine. A solid target in two directions merits a dig.

You WILL dig trash, get used to it and get over it. If you don't you'll miss the gold.

Advice as to what detector to purchase? Well, there's plenty used ones on Craigslist presented by people who wanted to get into the hobby and found it just wasn't for them, maybe as much as 90% of the dreamers. We as treasure hunters must be a pretty weird class of individuals.

If you really take to the hobby, your wife will need one as well (that would help your marriage).

My advice would be to get a good solid machine, used, like a Tejon. Then as you "mature" into the hobby you can look to something else and give your wife the Tejon - and she still might kick your butt regardless of what you swing!

My ex-wife never did get into the hobby.....
I have not seen anyone mention the Tejon yet
Welcome from Middle, TN
Hi. My parents just moved back to Florida from TN. I'm kinda sad because it was closer and such a nice area (Fairfield Glade)

LOL, good thing my hiking boots don't have steel toes

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tejon is a "relic" machine, high kHz. Not the best for deep, coin-sized targets. Look at the Makro Multi-Kruzer, if you want straight VLF, or the Minelab Equinox 600, if you want a multi-frequency AND VLF capable machine. :occasion14:

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Well, as you can see you will get as many suggestions as there are detectors. My input, get an At Pro. It is weather proof, great for dry terrain, great for fresh water detecting, simple to use, very easy to resell in case you decide it is not for you, ect. Good Luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, as you can see you will get as many suggestions as there are detectors. My input, get an At Pro. It is weather proof, great for dry terrain, great for fresh water detecting, simple to use, very easy to resell in case you decide it is not for you, ect. Good Luck!

He's in NJ, gonna hunt the east coast beaches, granted the AT Pro would be a good upgrade, it is not a beach/salt water machine where as the NOX can do both. I hear nothing but praises for this new series. It might seem too complicated to some, but the 600 competes with higher end water machines.

dhog

Feb 26, 2018
SW Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garett ace 400 AT PRO Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from SWVA, happy hunting

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
You are right. The At is definitely not a salt water machine. I was thinking more of the streams.

Alre

Greenie
Mar 7, 2018
Jersey Shore, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & White's MX5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been doing a lot of research but I'd figured I'd sign up and ask here also. I'm looking into getting my first detector. The areas I have in mind to dig are some woods at my parents where my dad says a house used to be, it must be an old site because I can't find it on any historical maps. There is also an old race track from the early 1900's that is now just all woods. I'm also only 40 minutes from the jersey shore, hoping the wife will go on these since she likes the beach.
I plan to off load some tools I no longer need since I switched from the field to sales. My thoughts are to start with a Bounty Hunter Tracker pro and a good pointer. I guess my question is, will it cover the areas I want? Or should I cry once and get a Garrett at pro since it is water proof and I'd like to eventually do some streams near my dads. Especially if I can get permission to do the old cannon ball factory, I think it is state owned, but a lot of people go tubing in the summer.
Oh, and Hi, from reading you all seem like a good bunch.

Welcome aboard oldhead, Alre from the jersey shore....................

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro is a great machine for the woods, relics etc. But I agree , if you plan to hunt the beach as well, you might want to look at an Equinox. Its multi frequency and will do a great job at the beach or any terrain. I have 4 other detectors but plan to get one of these too.

Billiot

Greenie
Feb 14, 2014
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for a whites spectrum xlt. Good machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions