Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Any wars fought in Oregon?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2014
    342 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor old tom View Post
    All lands between deemed fed property, no trespass. I feel they overstepped their authority, but how does
    one challenge them? Owell
    You can never challenge them Peasant!
    Using Tapatalk

Mar 2014
    342 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSmitty View Post
    Civil War posts, Oregon:

Fort Dalles, Oregon, (1850—1867)
    Fort Yamhill, Oregon (1856—1866)
    Fort Hoskins, Oregon, (1857—1865)
    Siletz Blockhouse, Oregon (1858-1866) [2]
    Camp Baker, Oregon (1862-1865),[3]
    Camp Barlow, Oregon, (1862) [4]
    Camp Clackamas, Oregon, (1862) [5]
    Post at Grand Ronde Indian Agency or Fort Lafayette, Oregon 1863,[6]
    Fort Klamath, Oregon, (1863—1890)
    Fort at Point Adams, Oregon (1863-1865)
    Fort Stevens, Oregon (1865-1947)
    Camp Alvord, Oregon (1864-1866) [7]
    Camp Dalgren, Oregon (1864) [8]
    Camp Henderson, Oregon, 1864-1866 [9]
    Camp Lincoln, Oregon 1864[10]
    Camp Maury, Oregon 1864[11]
    Camp Russell, Oregon 1864-1865 [12]
    Camp Watson, Oregon 1864-1869
    Camp Colfax, Oregon, 1865, 1867[13]
    Camp Currey, Oregon 1865-1866 [14]
    Camp Logan, Oregon (1865-1868) [15]
    Camp Lyon, Oregon (1865-1869) [16][17]
    Camp Polk, Oregon (1865-1866) [18]
    Camp on Silvies River, Oregon (1864?) [19]
    Camp Wright, Oregon (1865-1866) [20]
    Old Camp Warner, Oregon (1866-1867)[21]
    Camp Warner, Oregon (1867-1874)[22]
    I am up in Northern California almost Oregon and we have a profusion of Civil War forts and camps. Typically, they were active for just a couple years in the 1860s. In our case they were typically manned by volunteer cavalry units that existed to try to keep the peace between the Native Americans and the settlers. The Oregon forts are, I am sure, similar. That being said. There are military artifacts to be found here. My dad dig up a cavalry spur and several pistol balls, some shot, in his yard. It is a shame though our history in the Pacific Northwest doesn’t go back too much further than that.
    NorCalSmitty, T.C. and sprailroad like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    858 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Uh, sorry, I disagree. The LAST thing we md'rs need, is to make a stink, and wave a bunch of red flags saying "look at me". Let's be totally honest Gare: Md'ing has ... uh ... "connotations". That you might be about to "take" or "remove" something. That you might be about to "dig". And in the context of poor-old-tom: "you might be about to disturb an indian object". Thus, get real: If you went to the media to make a stink, you might only dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Md'ing is one of those odd-ball hobbies where: The LESS attention we get is the better. Not the MORE attention.
    Tom_in_Ca Maybe your right . I was thinking how the feds and local police treated Mr. Bundy in the case where they shot him. I feel then they was way out of hand. I was also glad it was publicized so much. Don't you think some times we stand up for the actions they commit ?
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter Prospector Fisher CZ6A
    1493 times
    Metal Detecting
    There were many wars between the Native Americas and the US Government that took place in Oregon in the 1800's. I knew about the Modoc wars, but according to Wikipedia there were also the Cayuse War,Rogue River Wars ,Snake War and the Nez Perce War. Parts of all were fought in Oregon.

us
    Hoherz Ranch

Apr 2019
    Dayville Oregon
    Garret Ace 300 GarretAT Pro
    4 times
    Relic Hunting
    I am glad I found this thread.
    My husband and I just bought a ranch west of Dayville, just a few miles east of Picture Gorge.
    In ND, where we ranched before, we got into detecting the Indian Wars. We researched, found, and detected several camps that NO ONE had done anything even remotely close to looking for relics before. For instance, we detected the camp that occurred the night before the Heart River Corral camp in 1864, before Sully's troops went to Killdeer Mountain. We have quit the collection of relics from that camp. Our summer pasture contained their path leading up to that camp. We found pocket knives, bullets, nails, buttons (one Calvary button at least), j-hook, etc. I found a lot of evidence of the exact path the wagons followed in Sully's 1864 expedition. And on that particular expedition there were many immigrants along that were heading to the ID gold fields.
    Now our new ranch here in OR contains the old Dalles Military road. And our private deeded land contains what very well may be the old Camp Lincoln. There is an old rock hut that I just dug down about 4+ feet into what was a trash pit in this hut (old cut bones, charcoal, burned square nails, old can etc.).
    This is our private deeded, though our ranch does have the BLM permit attached to it.
    No one has ever detected this place. NO ONE. And I am in heaven.
    There are layers of history of various ages in this place. I haven't been detecting it long bcs we've got a lot of fixing up of this place to do. This ranch is probably one of the most unique in the valley, but has been neglected for many many decades.
    But I have found quite a few things and I haven't really been trying that hard.
    If this camp isn't the real Camp Lincoln, then it was perhaps part of it or a small way point military and others before used to camp, as it is the old Canyon City wagon road, which the military road followed.
    We didn't buy this ranch bcs it had the history, of course. But we feel so very lucky to have this as part of it.
    Eventually, I'll share some photographs of some of my finds.
    In eastern OR, things are extremely remote. And a lot of private land, like ours, is interspersed with BLM and USFS land. And it is illegal to detect public lands in regards to relic hunting.
    Private with permission, or owned by you, detect away.
    Even I cannot detect the BLM permit land attached to our deeded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseshoe from Dalles Rd W side of Resvr.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	1700715  

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger40 View Post
    Private with permission, or owned by you, detect away..
    What ? You can do what you want on your own private land ?? Say it isn't so !! ??

....Even I cannot detect the BLM permit land attached to our deeded.
    Actually, BLM has no *express* disallowance of md'ing. If you have a link to such a code, for BLM land specifically, let me know. Barring ancillary language, I know of no-such specific prohibition. If it came down to boiler-plate cultural heritage issues (ARPA), Ok, fine, ........ just be looking for nuggets or meteorites

Looking forward to some show & tell on your finds !
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Hoherz Ranch

Apr 2019
    Dayville Oregon
    4 times
    Relic Hunting
    Unfortunately here's the lowdown from their downloadable PDF:

"Cultural materials on public lands may not be removed, damaged, disturbed, excavated or
    transferred without BLM permit. Cultural resources include prehistoric and historic artifacts
    and sites, broken objects and debris more than 100 years old that were used or produced by
    humans. Protected materials include arrowheads and other stone tools, grinding stones,
    beads, baskets, pottery, old bottles, horse shoes, metal tools, graves and trash scatters.
    Historic sites such as cabins, sawmills,
    graves, trail traces, mining areas, townsites,
    ranches and railroads are not open to
    collecting.
    Metal detector use is allowed on public
    lands. Modern money may be collected,
    but coins and artifacts more than 100
    years old may not be collected."

The link: https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...ubliclands.pdf

Pretty self explanatory.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard to break the rules, but I am not going to advocate it. I realize most BLM land is all pretty remote. Our permit, though we are in Grant county OR, is through the Prineville office. And we have a long time manager who is really common sense and fair and easy to deal with.
    I imagine I personally won't have any issues. And since my neighbors and the locals are more than accommodating about such things if you're a fellow land owner, I think I may have a lot of fun here for the rest of my life
    I already got the low down about artifacts. Hubby & I still own a bit of the ND ranch and there on the Cannonball River my yard was literally a Native America paleo cultural site. I'd find points and scrapers and things in my driveway.
    I imagine I will find stuff here as well. Especially since I wake up in the morning and Picture Gorge is right out of my window

us
    Hoherz Ranch

Apr 2019
    Dayville Oregon
    4 times
    Relic Hunting
    I suppose I should have clarified about MD on BLM. You can, but obviously, anything 100+ yo is not able to be removed. And who would do that if they found a Civil War spur? Yeah right.
    Nobody is coming to get me if I did step across the private to the BLM line on my permit. But a person has got to really be careful these days on public lands.
    And my home ground is an old military road. That's your historical significant stuff.
    I have a lot to find on my deeded. And the road run longways E-W through it. So I have no need to go further at this point. Plus my deeded is scattered throughout the whole permit up the mountain. Lots of possibilities I get giddy thinking about

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I suppose I should have clarified about MD on BLM. You can, but obviously, anything 100+ yo is not able to be removed. ....

In all my 43-ish years of md'ing , I have never had anyone come out to me, in the middle of nowhere, armed with a calculator. Figuring the dates on coins in my apron. I'm sure there would be a griper if you were snooping around on a historic sensitive monument on BLM, or if you were waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, etc....

But let's just cut to the chase: If ... for some reason, you fear that there might be a griper out in these middle-of-nowhere type BLM situations. And you feared that a 101 yr. old penny was going to be a problem, then do this: Simply re-insert any coin, that is older than 100 yrs, back into the ground. Presto, problem solved , eh ? You're just looking for new coins, jewelry, nuggets, meteorites, etc... Right ?

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4504 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor old tom View Post
    Last Saturday my niece and I were detecting some land on the Washington side of the river across from the Dalles, or. We got investigated by a Washington state policeman, and two federal game /indian police for being on land that they THINK belongs to the corps of engineers. They were very polite, but spent the best part of an hour checking our id and made the niece show places she had dug and covered back up. We were very intimidated in the process. You would have thought we dug up some state treasure or something. They investigate any "trespass" on land between hwy 14 in Washington and SR 84 in Oregon. All lands between deemed fed property, no trespass. I feel they overstepped their authority, but how does
    one challenge them? Anyhow, that sure takes a lot of the fun out of detecting. They would rather have artifacts rust and rot away than for someone to get use of them. Owell
    They flooded out an entire river, screwed up the salmon resource, drowned countless Native sites, disrupted game migration, and they hassle you for digging a few dropped coins. Pretty damned funny, I'd say. The Army Corps of Engineers have done more harm to the environment than just about any other agency. They still have way too much arrogance and power, IMHO. I am a Washingtonian by birth.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    They ....
    Who is the "they" and why are they "hot and bothered" with this current mission to find-your-actions offensive ?

I believe I know why there is anyone (like those "they") who cares less.

And as for their "caring less", then ...... what they don't see won't bother them. Right ? Oh sure, you can spend your entire life trying to convince those "1 in 1-million people" to change their views. OR : you can just simply not be seen by that "1 in 1-million people".
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4504 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Who is the "they" and why are they "hot and bothered" with this current mission to find-your-actions offensive ?

I believe I know why there is anyone (like those "they") who cares less.

And as for their "caring less", then ...... what they don't see won't bother them. Right ? Oh sure, you can spend your entire life trying to convince those "1 in 1-million people" to change their views. OR : you can just simply not be seen by that "1 in 1-million people".
    The "they" is the US Army Corps of Engineers.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    9859 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    The "they" is the US Army Corps of Engineers.
    And I bet that ... looking back to the 1970s, '80s, and even well into the '90s....... there were probably most or all of those army-corps of engineer rank & file folks, who would simply have given the matter no thought. Nor paid a 2nd glance if they passed by an md'r in the past.

For example: There was a certain state park in my area, which had a CCC era campground. We used to go there and poke around for common silver practice. Never had a problem (never occurred to us that there WAS any problem, it was just never an issue, nor did it even cross our minds). Then one day, we started getting booted. We traced it to a single individual who showed up at the kiosk and asked if it was ok to detect. The confused bewildered ranger said "Let me check". And got on the phone with Sacramento or wherever. Came back to the kiosk window and said "no". Then .... lo & behold .... I guess that same ranger, who perhaps never gave the matter thought before ......... guess what will happen when he sees another md'r ? He'll think "Aha! there's one of *them*" And start booting others.

So too do I believe the evolution is at most all other "no's", is md'rs making themselves a giant bullseye, swatting hornet's nests.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links