Camp Warner, Oregon (1867-1874)[22]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There need not have been a "war", to find old military buttons, etc.... They could be, as nor-cal-smitty says: From forts and posts. Were the military guys often moved out to California after the Civil War, and kept their old uniforms as clothing they wore.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot for the list of info NorCal! And that is true Tom, the only problem with forts is, you can’t metal detect them. Right?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... the only problem with forts is, you can’t metal detect them. Right?

If they are a sensitive protected Monument, then of course. But not all Forts and posts are that type of land locations.

If they are middle of nowhere, then it is game on in my book. Or if they are on private land, the private owner can let you do whatever the heck he wants/allows there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the list of info NorCal! And that is true Tom, the only problem with forts is, you can’t metal detect them. Right?

Just be sure it is not on government land, otherwise it can get you into trouble with the American Antiquities Act Of 1906.[h=2][/h]

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright, I’m near a couple of those forts, so I’ll do some research. Thanks for your help!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil War posts, Oregon:

Fort Dalles, Oregon, (1850—1867)
Fort Yamhill, Oregon (1856—1866)
Fort Hoskins, Oregon, (1857—1865)
Siletz Blockhouse, Oregon (1858-1866) [2]
Camp Baker, Oregon (1862-1865),[3]
Camp Barlow, Oregon, (1862) [4]
Camp Clackamas, Oregon, (1862) [5]
Post at Grand Ronde Indian Agency or Fort Lafayette, Oregon 1863,[6]
Fort Klamath, Oregon, (1863—1890)
Fort at Point Adams, Oregon (1863-1865)
Fort Stevens, Oregon (1865-1947)
Camp Alvord, Oregon (1864-1866) [7]
Camp Dalgren, Oregon (1864) [8]
Camp Henderson, Oregon, 1864-1866 [9]
Camp Lincoln, Oregon 1864[10]
Camp Maury, Oregon 1864[11]
Camp Russell, Oregon 1864-1865 [12]
Camp Watson, Oregon 1864-1869
Camp Colfax, Oregon, 1865, 1867[13]
Camp Currey, Oregon 1865-1866 [14]
Camp Logan, Oregon (1865-1868) [15]
Camp Lyon, Oregon (1865-1869) [16][17]
Camp Polk, Oregon (1865-1866) [18]
Camp on Silvies River, Oregon (1864?) [19]
Camp Wright, Oregon (1865-1866) [20]
Old Camp Warner, Oregon (1866-1867)[21]

Nice job Smitty,

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Just be sure it is not on government land, otherwise it can get you into trouble with the American Antiquities Act Of 1906.

That would only apply to federal land. Not necessarily subrogated down to state or county or city levels. Unless done so by specific inclusion.

Because, think about it Treasure-hunter: If what you are saying is true (that all govt. land is held to ARPA standards), then none of us could ever (gasp) find coins more than 50 yrs. old on govt. land. And a quick look down the "finds forums" pages, shows that .... uh .... old coins are ROUTINELY being found on public land.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
NorCalSmitty - Source?

NorCalSmitty -

What was your source for the Fort/Camp info? Would they have other state, as well?

Thanks
Ken

Poor old tom

Mar 22, 2018
Goldendale, Wa
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO x 2 - Equinox 800x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday my niece and I were detecting some land on the Washington side of the river across from the Dalles, or. We got investigated by a Washington state policeman, and two federal game /indian police for being on land that they THINK belongs to the corps of engineers. They were very polite, but spent the best part of an hour checking our id and made the niece show places she had dug and covered back up. We were very intimidated in the process. You would have thought we dug up some state treasure or something. They investigate any "trespass" on land between hwy 14 in Washington and SR 84 in Oregon. All lands between deemed fed property, no trespass. I feel they overstepped their authority, but how does
one challenge them? Anyhow, that sure takes a lot of the fun out of detecting. They would rather have artifacts rust and rot away than for someone to get use of them. Owell

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor old Tom: Welcome to one of the FINER web forum's on the net. You will fit in perfectly here and with all your knowledge will be appreciated !! As to your issues with the government people the other group mentioned we both know they want to control EVERYONE 1!! I just know i am sure glad to see you on board HERE BUDDY !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
POT = Poor Old Tom, What you need to do is contact The local tv stations and news papers and tell them how you were treated for following the laws out there. With the Bundy ordeal with the government. People need to understand how some times the enforcers can get out of hand. Call the tv stations hopefully you can find one looking for a story.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Last Saturday my niece and I were detecting some land on the Washington side of the river across from the Dalles, or. We got investigated by a Washington state policeman, and two federal game /indian police for being on land that they THINK belongs to the corps of engineers.....

Poor-old-Tom: I put "Indian" in bold print in your quote. THERE is your reason. The area you are in right there, is heavily riddled in indian history. The seminal book "Stone age on the Columbia River", back in the 1960s, made indian artifact hunting popular there.

But as time went on, the era of archaeological awareness set in. And even though YOU weren't hunting for indian artifacts (the indians had no refined metals after all), yet there's a cross-over "contact period" there, where the indians were getting trade items from the explorers and incoming Europeans. Eg.: buttons, coins, etc.... (have you heard of Phoenix buttons ? I've found over 100 of them down here). So I'm a bit familiar with the sensitivities of *just* these type trade objects (that ... heaven forbid ... might have been handled or lost by an indian). And a bit familiar with the sensitivities that occur when you bump into an indian who's all "Rah rah" about his "ancestor's land".

Thus I do not construe your experience there, to be anything more than an isolated hot-spot, for JUST your one area. Ie.: a fluke. If it were me, I'd just give it a little break, and ... in the future, just be sure not to bump into those exact individuals again (assuming there's no actual true express specific "no md'ing" rule). Because if all they're doing is to invoke some trumped up verbiage about "artifacts" then .... ok, don't find anything older than 50 yrs. old. (how good is your math?).

Or, let me put it to you like this: It's entirely possible to get pulled over and roughed up by an over-zealous cop, for nothing but a tail-light out. Right ? Ie.: spend an hour checking your ID, intimidating you, citing scary sounding laws about tail-lights, etc... Eh ? But seriously now: You and I would KNOW this is a fluke. And going forward, if you knew that exact over-zealous cop tended to hang out at a certain speed trap, then you'd simply be very careful in his area, going forward. You would NOT assume "oh no, I can't drive anywhere ever again", and "all cops hate me and are waiting to bust my chops". So too is it with md'ing: There are going to be spots (as I say, Columbia river has some hot spot indian stuff) where, sure... you *might* bump into a bored indian waiting to give a hassle to someone who might be looking for indian artifacts. Just avoid that one spot, or pick better times. But I do not construe this as somehow meaning that you are needing to avoid all federal and state land, from here-on-out.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... What you need to do is contact The local tv stations and news papers and tell them how you were treated....

Uh, sorry, I disagree. The LAST thing we md'rs need, is to make a stink, and wave a bunch of red flags saying "look at me". Let's be totally honest Gare: Md'ing has ... uh ... "connotations". That you might be about to "take" or "remove" something. That you might be about to "dig". And in the context of poor-old-tom: "you might be about to disturb an indian object". Thus, get real: If you went to the media to make a stink, you might only dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Md'ing is one of those odd-ball hobbies where: The LESS attention we get is the better. Not the MORE attention.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Civil War posts, Oregon:

Fort Dalles, Oregon, (1850—1867)
Fort Yamhill, Oregon (1856—1866)
Fort Hoskins, Oregon, (1857—1865)
Siletz Blockhouse, Oregon (1858-1866) [2]
Camp Baker, Oregon (1862-1865),[3]
Camp Barlow, Oregon, (1862) [4]
Camp Clackamas, Oregon, (1862) [5]
Post at Grand Ronde Indian Agency or Fort Lafayette, Oregon 1863,[6]
Fort Klamath, Oregon, (1863—1890)
Fort at Point Adams, Oregon (1863-1865)
Fort Stevens, Oregon (1865-1947)
Camp Alvord, Oregon (1864-1866) [7]
Camp Dalgren, Oregon (1864) [8]
Camp Henderson, Oregon, 1864-1866 [9]
Camp Lincoln, Oregon 1864[10]
Camp Maury, Oregon 1864[11]
Camp Russell, Oregon 1864-1865 [12]
Camp Watson, Oregon 1864-1869
Camp Colfax, Oregon, 1865, 1867[13]
Camp Currey, Oregon 1865-1866 [14]
Camp Logan, Oregon (1865-1868) [15]
Camp Lyon, Oregon (1865-1869) [16][17]
Camp Polk, Oregon (1865-1866) [18]
Camp on Silvies River, Oregon (1864?) [19]
Camp Wright, Oregon (1865-1866) [20]
Old Camp Warner, Oregon (1866-1867)[21]

I am up in Northern California almost Oregon and we have a profusion of Civil War forts and camps. Typically, they were active for just a couple years in the 1860s. In our case they were typically manned by volunteer cavalry units that existed to try to keep the peace between the Native Americans and the settlers. The Oregon forts are, I am sure, similar. That being said. There are military artifacts to be found here. My dad dig up a cavalry spur and several pistol balls, some shot, in his yard. It is a shame though our history in the Pacific Northwest doesn’t go back too much further than that.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh, sorry, I disagree. The LAST thing we md'rs need, is to make a stink, and wave a bunch of red flags saying "look at me". Let's be totally honest Gare: Md'ing has ... uh ... "connotations". That you might be about to "take" or "remove" something. That you might be about to "dig". And in the context of poor-old-tom: "you might be about to disturb an indian object". Thus, get real: If you went to the media to make a stink, you might only dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Md'ing is one of those odd-ball hobbies where: The LESS attention we get is the better. Not the MORE attention.

Tom_in_Ca Maybe your right . I was thinking how the feds and local police treated Mr. Bundy in the case where they shot him. I feel then they was way out of hand. I was also glad it was publicized so much. Don't you think some times we stand up for the actions they commit ?

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were many wars between the Native Americas and the US Government that took place in Oregon in the 1800's. I knew about the Modoc wars, but according to Wikipedia there were also the Cayuse War,Rogue River Wars ,Snake War and the Nez Perce War. Parts of all were fought in Oregon.

Badger40

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2019
Dayville Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300
GarretAT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am glad I found this thread.
My husband and I just bought a ranch west of Dayville, just a few miles east of Picture Gorge.
In ND, where we ranched before, we got into detecting the Indian Wars. We researched, found, and detected several camps that NO ONE had done anything even remotely close to looking for relics before. For instance, we detected the camp that occurred the night before the Heart River Corral camp in 1864, before Sully's troops went to Killdeer Mountain. We have quit the collection of relics from that camp. Our summer pasture contained their path leading up to that camp. We found pocket knives, bullets, nails, buttons (one Calvary button at least), j-hook, etc. I found a lot of evidence of the exact path the wagons followed in Sully's 1864 expedition. And on that particular expedition there were many immigrants along that were heading to the ID gold fields.
Now our new ranch here in OR contains the old Dalles Military road. And our private deeded land contains what very well may be the old Camp Lincoln. There is an old rock hut that I just dug down about 4+ feet into what was a trash pit in this hut (old cut bones, charcoal, burned square nails, old can etc.).
This is our private deeded, though our ranch does have the BLM permit attached to it.
No one has ever detected this place. NO ONE. And I am in heaven.
There are layers of history of various ages in this place. I haven't been detecting it long bcs we've got a lot of fixing up of this place to do. This ranch is probably one of the most unique in the valley, but has been neglected for many many decades.
But I have found quite a few things and I haven't really been trying that hard.
If this camp isn't the real Camp Lincoln, then it was perhaps part of it or a small way point military and others before used to camp, as it is the old Canyon City wagon road, which the military road followed.
We didn't buy this ranch bcs it had the history, of course. But we feel so very lucky to have this as part of it.
Eventually, I'll share some photographs of some of my finds.
In eastern OR, things are extremely remote. And a lot of private land, like ours, is interspersed with BLM and USFS land. And it is illegal to detect public lands in regards to relic hunting.
Private with permission, or owned by you, detect away.
Even I cannot detect the BLM permit land attached to our deeded.

Attachments

• Horseshoe from Dalles Rd W side of Resvr.jpg
    Horseshoe from Dalles Rd W side of Resvr.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 88

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread