Size discrimination with Pulse Induction machines?

motherlode77

Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I've been cache hunting for some time now, I had bought a Bulgarian PI that I have since gotten rid of, it would sound off loud on every nail and small piece, no good for my purpose. My question is, will a Pulse Induction machine discriminate out the small trash if you put a bigger coil on it? Say a 40x40" square? Am I better off getting a 2 box Whites or Discovery? Target would be gallon paint can size likely, between 1-3 feet deep (I seriously doubt any deeper than 3). Any input is appreciated, though it would be excellent if someone with a PI and large coil could weigh in or perhaps test their unit with a large coil, so see if it overlooks small trash

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

motherlode77

Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I took this TM 800 out to my location to hunt. Extremely disappointing. For one thing, it barely made a peep over a big stash of copper test target 36" down. As for the actual hunt, even worse. One of the selling points of this machine is that it "doesn't see small trash". OK, sure it doesn't, if by that you mean it sounds off on rusted wall hooks and even some larger nails. Very sad.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for a large coil and sensitivity. Your detector must be able to tone out the small stuff along with a big coil. You are going to have balance issues and one arm is going to get bigger than the other lol. Stock coils on my F75 does not loose much depth as it is able to discriminate stuff out like most modest detectors. The large coil I purchased from Cors really impressed me so far. I think I found a new brand I trust. I have a small cache at 16 inches and know what my detectors can and cannot do. I always wanted a two box, and if its in the cards I will get one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread