Would you stop detecting if you won the lottery?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every day I pass a billboard advertisement for the lottery. Today the jackpot is somewhere around 400 million dollars. Odds are around 303 million to one that a person will win.
Lets put this into perspective, the odds of hitting back to back hole in ones on a golf course are only 19 million to one. Pretty good odds compared to the lottery.

Anyhow, we can all dream and in my dreams I have won the lottery and have more money then I know what to do with. For me, it means I get any detector I want and I get to hire a full time staff that does nothing but secure permissions. For those pesky people that don't want to give up a permission? Lawyers will be brought in and strong arm tactics will be utilized within the legal limits of the law.

So, if you won the lottery, what would you do? Would you continue to detect and if so how would your winnings affect your detecting style? Or, would you give up detecting for a leisure life that involves other hobbies instead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, dreaming on a Saturday afternoon.
I’d pay off my two daughter’s college loans. Donate to Jude’s Hospital. Make sure everyone that’s important to me is set.
Buy two killer homes. One in Alaska near the water with cedar logs. Second one in a tropical area that doesn’t suffer with hurricanes. Adopt an Alaskan Husky puppy or two.
Spend our days detecting and enjoying life with no financial worries.
Oh and some income property. :laughing7:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bow hunt all over the country, if not the world. Off season I would detect the same ( but different). And buy a couple hundred acres in a very rural area out west.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be on a beach daily, along with an actual beer assistant and another sunscreen applier ( most likely soft handed wenches)
Just for fun I would bury graded plastic covered morgans for you guys to find

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No no no, If you quit metal detecting, you will waste away. An end to blue skies, green grass and fresh air.
You can spend money in your off time. Keep moving with adventure. Money is not everything.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only would I not give up metal detecting, I would also become SCUBA certified so I can detect the ocean AND I would have several claims out west for gold prospecting AND a gem claim. I'd eat well and treasure hunt until I can no longer dig.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I won the lottery all I would do is detect...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already detect all I can do with these old bones, so, that wouldn't change any. The locations probably would though. Nothing like hitting some virgin sites around the world. I'd probably fund a treasure hunting expedition if I saw a promising site.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well i played the N.Y.State Powerball last night... was at 421 million...just missed... out of the 6 numbers ...none were on any of my tickets .

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yes i would continue and i would buy me a garage full of classic cars

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just speaking to how winning the lottery would affect my detecting habits:

I'd probably have more detectors to choose from, but still only use 1 or 2 of them. Maybe 3.

I'd hire some broke archeologists to do research for me, and pay them on a per find basis.

I'd probably still do my own research too. I think it fun.

If there was a property I wanted to detect but couldn't get permission, I'd just buy it for cash.

Maybe strat a charity metal detecting adventures club, taking people around the world on detecting trips, all for a reasonable tax deductible donation. Not sure how that would work, but with enough money is hire someone to figure it out.

I'd probably also hire someone to dig my holes for me when i get a little older. I could do more detecting if I spent less time digging.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i would keep detecting,but i would hire someone to dig and a hot topless girl to cook lunch.
brad

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
not a bad idea

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would keep detecting,but i would hire someone to dig and a hot topless girl to cook lunch.
brad

and massage your detecting arm....

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy a LRD. Set the dial to titty bar. Ace 150 with 20 inch Nel... then spend too much time on treasure net...then spend the rest at oak island.

the end

chub

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way would I stop. I would put a little more money into tools of the trade. I would have more time to do it because I WOULD NOT BE WORKING ANY MORE. Detecting is so burned into my pshycie that there is no way I could ever stop... or want to.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i would also be looking at properties with lots of land that are on or near old battlefields. I think it would be an awesome experience to open land up to the public for the sole purpose of relic hunting. To hell with the ARCHIES!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread