Would you stop detecting if you won the lottery?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every day I pass a billboard advertisement for the lottery. Today the jackpot is somewhere around 400 million dollars. Odds are around 303 million to one that a person will win.
Lets put this into perspective, the odds of hitting back to back hole in ones on a golf course are only 19 million to one. Pretty good odds compared to the lottery.

Anyhow, we can all dream and in my dreams I have won the lottery and have more money then I know what to do with. For me, it means I get any detector I want and I get to hire a full time staff that does nothing but secure permissions. For those pesky people that don't want to give up a permission? Lawyers will be brought in and strong arm tactics will be utilized within the legal limits of the law.

So, if you won the lottery, what would you do? Would you continue to detect and if so how would your winnings affect your detecting style? Or, would you give up detecting for a leisure life that involves other hobbies instead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would continue detecting but I would purchase every detector I ever wanted to try and then after that I would travel to every where I would like to detect and try every detector I purchased the ones I find I do not like I would give them away to people that can not afford a good detector that wants to get into this great hobby guess that would kind of make me like Elvis except with metal detectors instead of Cadillac's people that make statements like it would not change their life at all are all full of it simply because how could 400 million not change your life I would purchase every thing I ever wanted and travel to every place I ever wanted to go to

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
oldkoot beat me to it! I was going to say no, I'd just buy more metal detectors!

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, i would have to to keep busy, or end up a rich weirdo like so many do.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt a whole new set of beaches and fields through out the world.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt a whole new set of beaches and fields through out the world.

Would you use a private plane to get there? I hate TSA lines and knees in the chin seating on commercial aircraft!

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would you use a private plane to get there? I hate TSA lines and knees in the chin seating on on commercial aircraft!

I would have to purchase a yacht because I am scared to death to fly LOL

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it would also take me a lot of research to figure out where and when the areas I would like to detect don't have snow because I hate cold spend 6 months in each place and when the cold starts to hit pack up and leave to the next warm spot and do it again would have to hire a staff to do the research to keep me in only warm areas

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Wouldn't stop..just have better equipment and farther range. :thumbsup:

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st purchase would be a massive motorhome dragging a car and 4-wheeler. Then travel the country for multiple purposes including metal detecting.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1st purchase would be a massive motorhome dragging a car and 4-wheeler. Then travel the country for multiple purposes including metal detecting.

did the motor home thing for two years there is no way I would ever do that again thought me and the wife were going to kill each other because of the cramped quarters

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
did the motor home thing for two years there is no way I would ever do that again thought me and the wife were going to kill each other because of the cramped quarters

We've been living in an RV for a little over 2 years trying to rebuild after a house fire. I KNOW what you mean...:BangHead:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Would quit my job so I could treasure hunt full time. Buy lots of silver and gold. Get a nice custom display case built. Buy more detectors. Travel down south for the entire winter and treasure hunt different beaches. Buy a distillery in the Caribbean and brand my own rum. Treasure hunt, treasure hunt, treasure hunt, treasure hunt, have a rum, treasure hunt treasure hunt...and repeat.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't be at work on Monday that's for sure

craig82

Jan 22, 2018
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buy a bunch of treasure. Hire staff to go hide my treasure. Hire a creative writing team to make a set of clues. Then spend my days following the clues searching for my treasure.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Would just making detecting my full time gig

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I would keep detecting, but be able to travel to all sorts I=of exotic places, where the finds would be potentially finer, the weather is warm, beaches are long and women are babes.
I would still go to yard sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc, but be pickier.
I would own every detector known, and have a professional grade, very challenging test garden.
I might even experiment gold prospecting, maybe.
I would be so happy!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, stop working and start detecting MOAR!!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would retire. Wait,, I already am retired. I would go metal detecting whenever I felt like it, wait ,, I already do that.
A wall, that's it,, I'll build a wall. Hire some illegal immigrants and build a wall.
Let me run out and play the lottery.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread