Went detecting today, need some advice.

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got out to go detecting today I went to a old stage coach out here in wyoming i had a blast I didn't find much but I found some cool rocks. I was using my grandpa's BHID I love the machine but it's so hard to use out here with out discrimination. I just put it for sale and going to look into a machine made for the terrain I am going to be using it in. I will have about 300 to put into a new unit what should I get for the desert full of iron ? Lol I was thinking the land ranger pro but I don't know I'm still new to this.

20180324_114129.jpg
20180324_133236.jpg
20180324_132905.jpg
20180324_133057.jpg
20180324_154124.jpg
20180324_154449.jpg
Some pictures from the place and a bullet i did find also a chunk of petrified wood. The first grave marker was the wagon master for the lone tree stage coach I thought that was cool says he accidently shot himself I wonder if that bullet was it lol

Also I see you guys hardly ever post on my threads lol help a newbie out guys don't be shy

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would save the extra money and get an AT Pro they are excellent for sorting out iron and simple to learn. You can get one from detectorwarehouse on eBay for 550.00 no tax. IMO the best bang for the buck

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the ace 400 how is that

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll tell ya. Seems there is a lot of talk about this new machine by Minelab. It's called the Equinox. There is a 600 model and an 800 model. Either one would be great for your terrain but they are priced out of your financial reach. With everyone running out and buying these units, I think a glut of used detectors will be put up for sale. Keep an eye on the Tnet classifieds as well as EBay. You just might be able to get a good used AT PRO for around $300.
Good luck.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would also put a Mine Lab X TERRA 705 on your list to look at they can be had for under 500 new in box

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually looking at the 505are they comparable?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Land Ranger pro was repackaged under the Teknetics name as the Liberator, man is it light weight. Best bang for the buck IMHO. It has many options that other high end machines have. You ought to check out the Teknetics website. TheHunterGT has many detector reviews, I recommend you watch some and some from other reviewers for the machines that pique your interest.

Good Luck

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was actually looking at the 505are they comparable?

yes they are comparable I actually almost purchased the 505 when I started out but was offered a vary good deal at the time on the 705 so went with it instead the 705 has a few more features then the 505

also if you do purchase any of the X TERRAS go to the minelab web site and sign up and then go find the ebook written by Randy Horton and down load it and print it out it is called understanding your X TERRA it is vary vary informative and a good read and best of all its free to download and print out

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been using the 705 since 09 or 2010 and have never felt the need to up grade to something else in my opinion the 705 is one of the most under rated detectors on the market even still to this day

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I honestly can't decide in between the 705 or the lrp I hope the beach hunter sales fast lol. I think I will go with the 705 if I can find a good deal on a nice used one. But If I go with the lrp I can get a decent pin pointer also lol decisions decisions !!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well someone buy my beach hunter lol

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I

I've been keeping a eye on ebay my heart is torn between f75, atpro, xterra705 and I also was looking at the musketeers advantage it's older but slot of ppl say it's the **** for iron sites I sold my BHID and waiting on the payment to be released by ebay stupid new seller stipulations lol any input anyone?

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been keeping a eye on ebay my heart is torn between f75, atpro, xterra705 and I also was looking at the musketeers advantage it's older but slot of ppl say it's the **** for iron sites I sold my BHID and waiting on the payment to be released by ebay stupid new seller stipulations lol any input anyone?

Hey AWB,
If you're unsure, try watching demonstrations and testimonies on YOU TUBE. You can see side by side comparisons of various models. That's what I did before buying my Omega 8000 and was happy with my choice.
I watched a demo recently, and the Equinox blows the AT Pro away! Anyway, lots of videos to choose from. Try calling a couple of dealers and ask questions - they want to sell, so they will give you the time of day.
Another thing, if you buy from a non-dealer off of EBAY then you probably won't get a warranty and probably no customer support. When it comes to electronics, sometimes it's better to pay a little more for the insurance of good customer support.
Let us know what you finally decide on!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a AT Pro or Max. I dont like used, but thats your budget. Seen my F75 skunked in bad iron soil. For iron I use my AT Pro.

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided on a teknetics g2+ lol don't ask me why but I got a good feeling about it I've posted a wanted ad in the classifieds anyone got one forsale? Let me know guys

williamrusin

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2018
Santa Monica
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter metal detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark your spot and get down on your knees. Back off about 3-5" from the ground and stick the dagger in ground.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try for a used white's MXT, they have a fast recovery and do pretty good in iron infested places. HH

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My oldest son is 25 and he has an Ace 400. He loves it. But I still smoke him with my Technetics Delta. I think the ace 400 was $330.00 and my Delta was about $280.00. The ace does have a little more depth and masks iron a little bit better but I still prefer the Technetics. Plus being old and half blind I have trouble seeing the screen on the Garrett machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread