Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for about 4 years and I've hunted almost exclusively on public property. I've found a little silver and a few Indian pennies, but nothing too crazy, and I've logged a significant amount of time hunting. My question is: is hunting on state owned property a waste of time? Are most guys hunting on private property after gaining permission? Just curious to get some opinions on hunting public ground vs getting permission and hunting private property. I appreciate your input.

-KP

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Permission is the only way to fly IMO. Public land has been hunted hard over the last 40 years. Private areas have not had that pressure. Research and permission yields results.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree with Tom. In my area people have been detecting since the 1970's. My primary spots to hunt are private permissions, yet I always have a fall back public location or 2 to "just in case" I have more time on my hands to swing the coil.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been lucky as in there are some parks recently opened in my area on 1800's farmlands that were previously private and are now overgrown. Finding items back in the brush that wouldn't be there if it had been detected hard in the past.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback guys. If you don't mind me asking, what has been your most successful way to get permission? I won't lie, the idea of asking a complete stranger for permission to metal detect on their property is a little intimidating to me.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It all just depends on what public property it is, and how well it's been hit. In my area: Even some of the private property sites (stage stops, defunct picnic grounds, etc...) have been hammered to death too. So ... it just depends. It's also a regional thing: In some parts of the western states, the yester-year md'ing pressure was apparently light . Because I am shocked to find that some of the places (even public) that we try, have had very little pressure. Versus my area, which has had brazen hard-core guys, who hit the history books, decades ago.

... If you don't mind me asking, what has been your most successful way to get permission?....

Become a member , and docent/volunteer at your local historical societies and historical museums. Usually requires 6 hrs. (or whatever) time per month. Doing things like manning a desk, sorting papers, etc... And it gives you a name badge and title. For example: I lead 4th graders through tours at one of the CA missions. So I have the docent badge on a lanyard. At another museum, I man a desk (greet visitors) a time or two per month. Which affords me another badge.

By having those "credentials", it helps break-the-ice better when talking to private land owners. Eg.: "Hi, I'm a worker at such & such museum. I'm doing research for an article I'm writing on such & such. Can I ask about the stage stop that was said to be on the back-40 of your property in that canyon over there ?" And then slowly morph it into permission to go take some pictures. And then morph to md'ing, etc....

Also: Cold calls on the phone, and cold call emails RARELY work. Because, of course, they do the same thing you and I do with junk mail and door knocks from total strangers: Hang up, and turn-away door-to-door solicitors. Instead: Find some way to "catch them on their front porch". I've even staked out gate locations, at probable times when persons would be coming home from work, *just* to "bump into them" and start up small talk.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt both but normally find the good stuff at permissions. I hunt public property when i have nothing lined up and want to experiment with my detector. IE learn a different mode. Basically, allot of permissions are one time shots so I go with what I know and do what works and leave the learning curve to public lands.
As far as gaining permission? I never knock on doors. I hate it when people do it to me so i don't do it to others. Instead, i pick a neighborhood and look for people outside the house. They are generally more approachable and more open to you being there. Also, Don't dress like your ready for battle but don't dress like a salesman in a suit either. A good looking car and proper dress goes a long way. You can always go down the road and change your clothes if permission is granted. You need to give the impression that your not a looser or someone looking to case the house.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the feedback guys. If you don't mind me asking, what has been your most successful way to get permission? I won't lie, the idea of asking a complete stranger for permission to metal detect on their property is a little intimidating to me.

With the zany treasure hunting shows out now.....you need to realise that some folks can think you are a treasure hunter ,or worse ,that riches are strewn about their yards and properties that you are after.

Put yourself in their shoes....Who are you? And what do you want? ( I am usually looking for anything like a coin that is older than I am. But ,history is in layers ,and hard telling what's here without checking it out. How old is this nice house?)

What if you find something valuable? ( l.o.l.. but be prepared to answer. One permission told me if I found a chest of gold coins ,he gets half. I said ,it's a deal ,but I get to keep the chest...
Are you going to tear up my yard? ( don't hesitate to offer a recovery demonstration if it is a concern . Nothing is good without a good demonstration ,and ...you may spark curiosity. (A curiosity not unlike your own.)

Relax, it is your hobby,not a crime.
If they say no, don't take offence. Thank them for their time. Ask their neighbor next maybe.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all just depends on what public property it is, and how well it's been hit. In my area: Even some of the private property sites (stage stops, defunct picnic grounds, etc...) have been hammered to death too. So ... it just depends. It's also a regional thing: In some parts of the western states, the yester-year md'ing pressure was apparently light . Because I am shocked to find that some of the places (even public) that we try, have had very little pressure. Versus my area, which has had brazen hard-core guys, who hit the history books, decades ago.

Become a member , and docent/volunteer at your local historical societies and historical museums. Usually requires 6 hrs. (or whatever) time per month. Doing things like manning a desk, sorting papers, etc... And it gives you a name badge and title. For example: I lead 4th graders through tours at one of the CA missions. So I have the docent badge on a lanyard. At another museum, I man a desk (greet visitors) a time or two per month. Which affords me another badge.

By having those "credentials", it helps break-the-ice better when talking to private land owners. Eg.: "Hi, I'm a worker at such & such museum. I'm doing research for an article I'm writing on such & such. Can I ask about the stage stop that was said to be on the back-40 of your property in that canyon over there ?" And then slowly morph it into permission to go take some pictures. And then morph to md'ing, etc....

Also: Cold calls on the phone, and cold call emails RARELY work. Because, of course, they do the same thing you and I do with junk mail and door knocks from total strangers: Hang up, and turn-away door-to-door solicitors. Instead: Find some way to "catch them on their front porch". I've even staked out gate locations, at probable times when persons would be coming home from work, *just* to "bump into them" and start up small talk.

Why Tom,, you're a very sneaky guy with a secret agenda. I think I like it.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set a goal door knocking. Pin and paper in hand my goal is to get rejected 15 times before I go home.
By doing this I get 7-8 permissions before I meet my goal!
I target homes built pre 1950– most yards are loaded with coins and 3-5 silvers usually.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't hunt permissions. I live in the woods and i have house sites all around me which is on family a bunch of old roads and a two old mills i'm set

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions