Just begining

Mar 29, 2018
SAN DIEGO
Detector(s) used
STILL LOOKING
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing some research. And quite frankly it is mind boggling I would like to get a metal detector. To target. Mainly gold nuggets. Where you ask? I have no idea yet. I think I would like to search old tailing piles may be some stream beds or old settlements. Possibly some hard rock. I woul also like to search for coins or jewelry at the beach. Now I know a bit less that nothing. But have read some. It seemed like the fisher gold bug two was highly regarded but then the more I read I kep seeing GAT. I think Garrett and dozens of other names. So what do you think is a good starter. With decent depth penetration. I would like to used. Because a lot of these things seem to be in the several hundred $ range. But if there are newer models at the 300 range I would consider those. Lastly I’ll probably pick it up in Caldwell idaho at the same time. I get my new jeep. Are there any good
stores or pawn shops near there are recommended? Thanks everyone

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
1st - While waiting for member suggestions - you might browse Gold Prospecting Forum > Metal Detecting For Gold.
2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would research detectors in your price range and look at videos of them on youtube, possibly try a few you like before buying one

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing in the $300 range that will do what you want in the areas you want. Even a used Gold Bug usually sells for more than that. Adding the beach hunting need, and you're in a different ball game. For one detector to do both nuggets and beach effectively, I'd probably go with the Equinox 800. I haven't heard much feedback on it as a nugget hunter yet, but, small gold jewelry and coin/beach hunting capabilities are impressive. If you can't wait for the Nox, a used Gold Bug and a used Explorer would get you there too if you don't need anything to be waterproof. You're still looking a budget of at least $900 when all is said and done.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many esoteric pieces of equipment that are necessary when metal detecting. When beach hunting on dry sand, you need a scoop. If going into the water, you need a long handle sturdy scoop. If you are going
to be in the water for a few hours, you will need a wet suit. When dirt fishing, you will need a digger and a pin pointer.
There are numerous types of hunting and different machines designed for the various types of hunting.
In the $300. budget that you are working with, there are no new machines made by anyone, that can do everything you want it to do,, with a MSRP of $300. Right now, the machine closest to your $300. budget, that can do everything that you want to do is the Equinox 800 by Minelab. It cost about $850. There is currently a 2 to 3 month waiting period from the day of ordering to the date of shipping.
The purchase price of the metal detector is usually the most expensive part of all the equipment you need to be successful in this hobby.
This can be a hobby that can pay for itself depending on the "where you go" and the "what you're capable of finding", as well as how much time you can dedicate.

Last edited:

Brianite

Greenie
Mar 23, 2015
Marquette, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Pro-Pointer AT, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would add to against the wind's post that the enjoyment of digging history can be payment enough, even if it doesn't pay for your detector.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would look for a used Minelab X TERRA 705 it is a great all around detector and with a great prospecting mode it is not water proof but besides that it is one of the most under rated detectors out there still to this day and with the arival of the Equinox its price new has dropped under $500. I have seen used ones in the $300. range and lower the 705 is the one detector I will never part with

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's going to be really tough finding a metal detector for $ 300 if you're wanting to focus on gold prospecting with it and such. You're gonna have to get closer to around $600-$700 and even then that is a stretch. Your best option for that pricing would be a Garrett AT Gold. Invest in a small nugget type coil to go with it and you'd be good to go. Good luck!

RaleighGoldSeeker

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to visit your local Detecting store.....talk with them....possibly rent one or two different models and then go from there. $300 is not much for a quality machine imho. so you may need to re-think that or buy used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions