Use Caution When Digging. Please read and share.

brw549

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2018
Cataula Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Paramedic needle stick injuries are a reality in my line of work. It also can happen if you handle trash, even if it’s not medical waste. According to the CDC, some 385,000 health care workers accidentally stick themselves with needles every year.

As someone who enjoys metal detecting you may never think that you would be at risk for this type of injury. This weekend I was checking around an abandoned home in our historic district and one item that I found was a used needle. Many of these older structures are being used by homeless individuals who have mental and behavioral issues.

Your chances of catching a disease from a single needle stick are usually very low. About 1 out of 300 people who are accidentally stuck with a needle from someone with HIV get infected. But for hepatitis B, the odds can be as high as nearly 1 in 3 if the you hasn’t been vaccinated for it.
Diseases Spread by Needles

• Hepatitis B & C
• Syphilis
• Rocky Mountain spotted fever
• Varicella zoster virus, which causes chickenpox and shingles
• Epstein-Barr, a type of herpes virus
• HIV

What to Do If You Get Stuck

If you get stuck with a needle, act quickly.
1. Wash it. Clean any accidental sticks right away. Rinse and wash the area well with running water and soap. No need to use antiseptics or disinfectants.
2. Get treated. Tell your doctor what happened. Their plan will depend on your situation, including how deep the needle went in, where it stuck you, and your medical history.

If your doctor decides you’re at risk for infection, they can treat it several ways

Protective Measures. Some vaccine shots, like those for hepatitis B, diphtheria, and tetanus, help your body’s immune system kick in and protect you from those infections.

Be aware of the area you are metal detecting in, wear gloves and always wash your hands. You have no idea who may have used the area you are digging in prior to your arrival.

Upvote 0

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess watch out for fentanyl too!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for caring about us!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Needles are everywhere. I've found a few here at my Orange County, Ca beaches.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living here in Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania, I haven't encountered any discarded needles yet. When I was hunting the parks in NYC, it was a whole different story. In some parks, they were everywhere.
Thanks for reminding me not to get complacent.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The world is changing. I have never given this any thought, but sure will going forward. Methamphetamine is a real problem in my corner of the state, so i imagine they are here too.
Thank you for posting this, do you mind if i print your instructions to keep in my car? Just in case it happens....

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget Tetanus. Any rusty hook, nail or sharps.

OP
OP
B

brw549

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2018
Cataula Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can_slaw you and others can use this information as you wish.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am up to date on Tetanus shot and Hep b, the beaches here occasionally will have a needle wash up. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread