First organized MD group hunt....Any suggestions?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

I have been a solitary metal detectorist for some time and have now signed up for an organized metal detecting hunt with 100 detectorists in a field. It is their first time putting on a hunt as well. I am not sure what to expect accept it should be fun and I will meet other local detectorists. I will be using a Spectrum XLT. I do not know what the rules will be and I don’t know if there will be interference and what to do about that...Besides fully charged batteries and spare....Any suggestions? All will be appreciated. The hunt is on the 14th..rain or shine. THANKS!

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you are hunting on dirt, most targets will be no more than 1 to 2 inches deep. You could pop them out with a flat head screwdriver and then tamper the hole with your foot. As far as interference from other machines, if you can turn your sensitivity down and frequency up, you will silence the machine somewhat.
Good luck and Happy Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In sand, I like a short handled scoop and a big open mouthed pouch. Just scoop and dump. I don't even look at what I've found. In grass or dirt, a probe or pin pointer depending on the ground. If it's a small search area, a small coil (5-6"). A large field, an elliptical coil for coverage and pin pointing help. A huge field and you may want a BIG coil if they will allow it. The Big Foot coil works good on the XLT, but, they're getting a bit hard to find. The idea is to make as many recoveries as possible in the shortest amount of time. Look at the finds after the hunt is over.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Against the wind and cudamark....Thank you for the tips and suggestions! Much appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread