Best Detector for a Newbie

Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am retiring to the east coast of Florida in a year and need some advice on purchasing the right metal detector for me please.

I need a detector that I can use on the beach, and along rivers and lakes. I also want one I can use in chest high water and because my shoulders are not too strong, I've been advised to get one I can wear on my waist. I hope to find jewelry, coins etc. I don't have a huge budget but I want to start with a good detector that will be easy use with a large screen (I don't want to wear reading glasses in the water!) and one that will last or have a good warranty.

Many thanks!

Upvote 0

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Were I in your situation, I wouldn't hesitate...Equinox 800

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I concur with the other 2, either the Equinox 600 or 800 will be the best priced machines for the salt water environment you will be hunting.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard wimbledonwoman! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First, welcome from Mississippi. As for a pinpointer. Minelab or the Carrot (Garrett) are both good ones. And lots of luck in a very good beach hunting area.:occasion14:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At this point I would NOT get an Equinox if you're looking to hunt in water since the Equinox doesn't have waterproof headphones or a waterproof headphone adapter for water and you would need to use the unit speaker in water, Bla. Perhaps in a year or two when they really make the Equinox waterproof. There is too much Hype regarding the Equinox right now and I, for one, am interested in the machine but not until it is really ready for sea water use. But you do want a unit that can handle salt water, which eliminates all single VLF machines.

OP
OP
W
Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I'm already looking at an 800. Seems very popular.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site. Something else to consider while looking at detectors is that if you are going to hunt beach and water, you will want a good scoop for the sand with handle. Do some research and ask questions. Most of the good one do not sell cheap even used. Check the Beach and Shallow Water Heading under this Metal Detecting Forum for more information and other threads about what others used and have found. Good Luck!

OP
OP
W
Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, well now this is getting more complicated.... never thought about the scoop. Thanks for your help. Now i'm off to look at scoops too.

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into a Minelab Excalibur II, A new one from Bigboyshobbies.net is $1499.00 with all the extras you need to hunt, or find a good used one to start. The Minelab equinox 800 looks like it may be a better choice but hasn’t been on the market long enough yet. I have an Excal and may get an 800 when they are truly waterproof and ready to live in salt water.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my EQ600 in the saltwater just using the external speaker, worked fine and was definitely loud enough to hear clearly. That being said i am patiently waiting for underwater headphones to be released.

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome from Daytona Beach, FL. If you find yourself in my area let me know. Wife and I live in the sand here.

OP
OP
W
Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great. We are hoping to move to to the NSB area so that would be great. Will be looking for a club around there too. Wish I was on the beach this weekend! Karen

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great. We are hoping to move to to the NSB area so that would be great. Will be looking for a club around there too. Wish I was on the beach this weekend! Karen

NSB is great! Still has the beach town charm. Wish we had explored that area more before we settled in Daytona. Moving from the Keys was a culture shock for us. The whites dealer here has a rental fleet if you would like to test drive a few of their machines.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Big Welcome to you to the Tnet forum from Georgia. This is a great forum with lots of information made available in the hobby of MD'ing. You can also watch videos on Utube on almost any metal detector made today whether it be one for land, water, or all around use. Best of luck to you on your search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions