When did you first start metal detecting?

G

goldhound47

I'am new here and this is first post, so I wanted to first say Hello!

My question is when did you first start using a metal detector and what, or who inspired you to start the hobbie?

I bought my first metal detector when I was about 16 years old from a rock shop owner. I bought a small Garret metal detector, walked to school about a block from my home with my older brother and walked home with over $60.00 worth of mostly silver coins and a few clads aswell.

It didn't take but a few more hunts to get back the $99.00 my metal detector cost me.

After I finished school I bought a Whites metal detector and hunted every school I knew of in the North Texas area, where I was born and grew up. My brother and I filled up several large tubs with silver coins and many gold and silver rings.

But sadly I got too busy and I drifted away from hunting.

I'am hungry to get started back again, but need a new detector, so if you have any tips as what would be a good metal detector to pick back up on that would be helpful.

The last one I had was bought in the 80's so I'm sure they're more advanced technically today. I'm willing to pay around $600. but may start off with less until I get back into it.

I live in North Carolina now, so I've got some new dirt to dig in.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 40 years ago & my Grandmother inspired me

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

32 Years ago and built my first detector a heatkit ;D ARCOM

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Started digging applied lip bottles in about 1969 when I was 11 years old. My older brother got me started. Him and his friends found a dump while sneaking onto the Stanford golf course using the creek beds as cover. Family moved to Wyoming and one of the first guys I met had a Garrett. That was 1971. Didn't buy my first detector until about 1982. Some cheap plastic thing from a mail order catalog. Then bought a Whites 5900 SL Di Pro? in 1987? Been a Whites fan ever since. Bought a MXT just a couple of weeks ago.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
1972, my Dad gave me a detector when we transfered to Germany. Made some cool finds there. Been doing it more often than not since then. I have been detecting every spare minute for the last 3 years or so. Been back into it heavy. I am taking a detecting vacation next month just to swing a coil for days on end in some old areas.

Rich

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mid 1970s with a cheap radio shack type detecor that was given to me by my buddy Matt, I used to go with him and a few of his friends back then. They were in their 20s & 30s and I was a young teen. Bought a Garrett A.D.S. TR in the early 80s. Used that for a few months when I was 18 or 19, didn't find much, lost interest and took a few years off (girl chasing!) then got seriously into it in the later 80s with a Garrett Master Hunter, and a White's ID machine. Use all top of the line machines these days by the top makers (except) I do have an MXT that is upper mid level for white's but, I am going to sell it so I can buy the top of the line whites model - DFX.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wanted a metal detector as a kid, but, alas, Santa never delivered, lol! I bought one, a Radio Shack Discovery 2 years ago, used it for about 2 months, and after not finding pirate treasure chests, threw it in the closet and ended up selling it on eBay. One day out the blue, my 8 year old daughter asks me if I still have my "treasure hunter thingie". I told her no, but then bought her one of those $29.95 Radio Shack specials and got myself re-hooked on it. After taking her out with the cheapie, I bought a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 used on eBay for around $40.00, and actually learned how to use it!! I just recently upgraded to a Garrett ACE250, and for $200.00, I highly reccomend it as a machine to get back into the hobby with. It's easy to use, very sensitive, lightweight, and accurate, and has all the bells and whistles that the higher end machines have, such as target ID, depth indicator, pinpointing, and multiple preset modes (coin, jewelry, relic, & all metal modes) as well as a custom mode that you can set your own preferences on. It really is a great machine, and for $200.00, you can't get a better value. Welcome back to the hobby, good luck, and HH!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a build it yourself kit from Tandycraft,a Heathkit BFO in 1961.I believe.Lived about 3 miles from the redondo beach pier and the beaches were loaded with silver,rings,and gold in them days!!NEVER quit swinging a detector since,5 states in over 44 years a gold grubbn' too!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

ClamBob

Jan 24, 2005
Florida East Coast
My uncle had one when I was a kid and I bought my first one, a Micronta I think, from Radio Shack with my paper route money when I was thirteen. That was '72. Later moved up to a White's 6000 series and now have a new CZ-20.

Happy Hunting,
BobJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right after Christmas this past year. MD was my Christmas present.

RI-JenW

Feb 23, 2005
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Year.
I Always Wanted One As A Kid... But I Never Got One.
Come to Think of it...
I Always Wanted A Snoopy Snow Cone Machine Too.. And I Never Got That Either!!....But That's Another Story. ;D

Anyway...I Bought A Whites DFX Last Summer.
Plan On Using It A Lot This Summer!

Still Havent Bought The Snoopy Snow Cone Machine...

;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first detector in 1983. used it about 10 times, Then set it in a closet. It still works. I have read WE&T for about 15 years. I love the magazine. In May 2004 the bug bit me and I was able to purchase a new detector, joined a club , and the rest is history. I don,t think I will ever leave it totally again. Being in a club helps. I wish I had a friend to detect with more often. Those of you who do should count yourselves lucky. It is more fun when you can share the experience with someone who "Knows".

Keep Gigging.

Ed

OP
OP
G

goldhound47

I can say my brother and I enjoyed what we learned historically of the sites we hunted about as much as we ejoyed the goodies we found.

You should be able to find someone in your area to treasure shoot with, place a small ad your local paper.

Good Luck and happy hunting!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 12 years ago, my (then) teen-age son bought a White's and started detecting. Every evening my wife and I would walk behind him on the beach as he hunted and we enjoyed the sunset. As it got darker, I would start to flip pennies up ahead so he would be able to scoop money out of the sand. Other than that, and occasionally taping a coin to the bottom of his search coil, I really had no interest in MDing. Then, last summer at the end of a long day working out in the yard (5 acres), I noticed my platinum wedding band was gone. I had covered just about every foot of the yard that day, and had no idea where it could be. I walked around searching until after dark with no success. The next day, I went to a local tool rental place and rented a Radio Shack detector that didn't seem to work very well at all. I tried various settings, and it wouldn't even alert on a soda can on the surface. My next step was to buy a White's 5900 Di off eBay for $200.00. When it arrived, it looked like it had never been used. I set all the knobs to the default settings, and within about 10 minutes had found my ring. I put the detector in the closet until about a month ago when I dug it out, resolved to actually do some hunting with it. To date, I have not found a whole lot, but I have been out there regularly learning my machine and practicing recovery. I am amazed that I got lucky and bought such a great unit for such a low price in spite of my ignorance. I have since been looking at newer machines, but have decided that newer isn't necessarily better. I am really enjoying this new hobby (the first ever with the potential of paying for itself), and anticipate continuing for a long time to come. ;D

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Started detecting by borrowing my brother's detector in the late 80's. Purchased a White's Coinmaster used then upgraded to a Whites Silver Eagle. Have hunted off and on with this detector for years now and am still quite happy with it's performance. Love to hunt old home places or anywhere there is a chance of silver! Family had a house at North Myrtle for a number of years but never had much luck on the beach there. Sand is just toooo hard and compact. You can throw a coin down and bounce it off the sand. Now vacation at Carolina Beach and enjoy hunting in the sand. Looking to buy a detector for wet sand and surf. Where in NC are you. I am in the Burlington area. If you haven't already, you need to visit with Jerry Barbee if you are in search of a new detector. You won't be sorry.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Started in 1980, with an orange radio shack model. I was 13 years old. I found an entire octagonal barrell rifle in the field at my school. I was hooked. Rifle was rusty with no wood, but treasure none the less.

OP
OP
G

goldhound47

NC_Horn said:
Started detecting by borrowing my brother's detector in the late 80's.? Purchased a White's Coinmaster used then upgraded to a Whites Silver Eagle.? Have hunted off and on with this detector for years now and am still quite happy with it's performance.? Love to hunt old home places or anywhere there is a chance of silver!? Family had? a house at North Myrtle for a number of years but never had much luck on the beach there.? Sand is just toooo hard and compact.? You can throw a coin down and bounce it off the sand.? Now vacation at Carolina Beach and enjoy hunting in the sand.? Looking to buy a detector for wet sand and surf.? Where in NC are you.? I am in the Burlington area.? If you haven't already, you need to visit with Jerry Barbee if you are in search of a new detector.? You won't be sorry.?
I live in Thomasville,NC, I have been to Burlington a few times. Thanks for the info.

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
when I was ten I got a Tandy detector back in the early 80S for Christmas. used it a couple of times and got some change. Ended up trading it for something with a friend when I went to military school. Recently I saw the whites detector commercial and looked into getting a new machine. I got a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II and then a CZ-20. Ive found piles of junk at the beach and am loving life. I know theres gold out there I just wish I had more time to get out and swing my coil. HH.

CHRIS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread