Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A probe, a retreival tool, to meet legal requirements

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby, Darby
    361 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Not really, is it?

That one even says I "shouldn't"

Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by A#1 View Post
    Yeh, I understand its outdated text, noticed that myself.

But the document itself was from the state intranet, printed, and postmarked to me, last friday, by the secretary of the DNR Lt. of the state forest management unit I'll be in. I'll take it as current policy.

My concern is tree huggers reporting me digging.....not the targets I find. The area also happens to be a world known, quite coveted trout fishing area full of rich yuppie weenies......and just happens to have past activity of logging, railroad, organized crime, and rich people spread all over

I know the dirt police arent out there measuring things right.....but when i get reported for digging, and the CO comes to visit, I will show him the document mailed to me by his bosses secretary, the probe conforming to those rules.
    Thanks for the post,, I respect the effort you are making to conform to your state's policy. Until that policy is improved upon and updated to meet what others wish would allow more modern retrieval tools, it is still the standing policy.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Apr 2015
    Grand Haven, MI
    Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
    18 times
    Metal Detecting
    This has been a good thread for those of us from Michigan. Thanks for the post.

Grand Haven has a "don't disturb" policy as well as a permit for city land. I have a probe made from a piece of 1/4" brass rod that has a 1/2" flat at 90° to the shaft. I haven't used it yet, but it's similar to a screwdriver or gasket scaper.
    Last edited by rogueaviation; Apr 12, 2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added more info
    Kray Gelder likes this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    361 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Well, heres a first shot at it. Took a belt sander to a piece of 1/8" x 1" x 12" brass flat stock. Made a letter opener, sharpened it a bit, and gave it a quick paracord wrap.

Fits the size requirements, made of softISH metal and i should be abole to make a nice hole with it..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180502_200442.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	1585719
    Kray Gelder and Blak bart like this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    361 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    The original 1/8" x 1" knife works great, but it is a little flexy when I pry.

Revision 2 is 1/4" x 3/4", we'll see how that works.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180621_193813.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1607967
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1583 times
    No Officer, nothing older than this 1998 penny and some pull tabs.
    If you longer an 11" digger x 1" wide and use a pair of Vice grips for handle.--------------------I have never needed a digger 12' plus overall. For an actual round probe Thread a brass rod of your choice and screw a cabinet knob to it and sharpen the other end. That can get you at least 11" probing depth.
    Marvin
    From the Redneck dictionary-----------un·der·tak·er | \ˌən-dər-ˈtā-kər,
    The last person to see you Naked.
    Beep, Beep.

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    822 times
    Stayin' alive :D
    The 75 year old thing seems a bit arbitrary. What is to say it wasn't lost last week?
    Improving the world, one post at a time

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4865 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jsulateskee View Post
    The use of a probe varies in the state that I am from. However, they typically don't specify the size of the probe. A one inch wide probe is quite gracious if you ask me. Personally, I use a flathead screwdriver that works perfectly. You just have to be sure to have a solid handle as a plastic one will break while you're trying to pry the target out of its spot. I like your idea. Let us know how it works.....
    You're speaking of popping coins. If you have to dig 4 to 6 inches down, through roots, how does the flat tipped screwdriver work? If one is limited to a 1 inch wide tool, I would think one edge would need to be a cutting edge. I'm curious to hear what some of ya'll use.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10018 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConceptualizedNetherlandr View Post
    The 75 year old thing seems a bit arbitrary. What is to say it wasn't lost last week?
    Good point. And if the rule of thumb is "50 yrs.", then ... gee ... if you're on the ugly side of 50 like I am, does this mean my wife can't take me home anymore ?
    xr7ator likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4865 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, heres a first shot at it. Took a belt sander to a piece of 1/8" x 1" x 12" brass flat stock. Made a letter opener, sharpened it a bit, and gave it a quick paracord wrap.

Fits the size requirements, made of softISH metal and i should be abole to make a nice hole with it..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180502_200442.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	1585719
    Now you have an illegal knife, called a stiletto...maybe illegal.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    361 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Now you have an illegal knife, called a stiletto...maybe illegal.
    No, its a metal detecting probe meeting Michigans size reuirements.

A stiletto is a knife, sharp and pointy.

us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    616 times
    No, its a metal detecting probe meeting Michigans size reuirements.

A stiletto is a knife, sharp and pointy.
    Female state bull might not see it that way, shes going to see a double edge dagger\boot knife

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    361 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Maybe, maybe not.

Could argue it plenty of ways.

But the schools say "No Sharp Objects"....then put a pencil sharpener in every room.

Personally, I would show them the rules requiring it, and ask them why I would want a dagger, when I have a gun right here.

The world is stupid, not my fault.
    Last edited by A#1; May 09, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Toecutter likes this.

us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Quest Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    616 times
    I agree with ya, i also like your tool and will probably make one my self, nice job

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    361 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Thanks

If ya do make one, the one made of 1/4" stock is great, but the one of 1/8" is kinda too flexible for its length, and the length could be shorter. I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm gonna take it down to 9" long rather than 12". This should lower my leverage over it's flexability.

And in all honesty, most of the time I use a Cielcera Hori Hori rather than these, but i'm usually quite a distance off the beaten path. It just does a better job thru forest roots, and cuts a cleaner plug.

These I keep on hand for when I'm more expoxed to the road, and care to play more within the rules.
    Toecutter likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links