A probe, a retreival tool, to meet legal requirements

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
When on state land, my state actually has size requirements for a retreival tool. It's policy, not law, but I still intend to play by the rules.

Here is the actual verbage of the requirements.

20180406_072950.jpg

At the moment I'm going to use a belt sander to make a piece of 3/16x3/4x12 inch brass bar stock into a letter opener like tool. No grip, as I think it would then be larger than the required size.

But out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Officer, nothing older than this 1998 penny and some pull tabs.:laughing7:
If you longer an 11" digger x 1" wide and use a pair of Vice grips for handle.--------------------I have never needed a digger 12' plus overall. For an actual round probe Thread a brass rod of your choice and screw a cabinet knob to it and sharpen the other end. That can get you at least 11" probing depth.
Marvin

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The use of a probe varies in the state that I am from. However, they typically don't specify the size of the probe. A one inch wide probe is quite gracious if you ask me. Personally, I use a flathead screwdriver that works perfectly. You just have to be sure to have a solid handle as a plastic one will break while you're trying to pry the target out of its spot. I like your idea. Let us know how it works.....

You're speaking of popping coins. If you have to dig 4 to 6 inches down, through roots, how does the flat tipped screwdriver work? If one is limited to a 1 inch wide tool, I would think one edge would need to be a cutting edge. I'm curious to hear what some of ya'll use.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The 75 year old thing seems a bit arbitrary. What is to say it wasn't lost last week?

Good point. And if the rule of thumb is "50 yrs.", then ... gee ... if you're on the ugly side of 50 like I am, does this mean my wife can't take me home anymore ? :dontknow: :sad10:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, heres a first shot at it. Took a belt sander to a piece of 1/8" x 1" x 12" brass flat stock. Made a letter opener, sharpened it a bit, and gave it a quick paracord wrap.

Fits the size requirements, made of softISH metal and i should be abole to make a nice hole with it.. View attachment 1585719

Now you have an illegal knife, called a stiletto...maybe illegal.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, its a metal detecting probe meeting Michigans size reuirements.

A stiletto is a knife, sharp and pointy.

Female state bull might not see it that way, shes going to see a double edge dagger\boot knife

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe, maybe not.

Could argue it plenty of ways.

But the schools say "No Sharp Objects"....then put a pencil sharpener in every room.

Personally, I would show them the rules requiring it, and ask them why I would want a dagger, when I have a gun right here.

The world is stupid, not my fault.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ya, i also like your tool and will probably make one my self, nice job

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks

If ya do make one, the one made of 1/4" stock is great, but the one of 1/8" is kinda too flexible for its length, and the length could be shorter. I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm gonna take it down to 9" long rather than 12". This should lower my leverage over it's flexability.

And in all honesty, most of the time I use a Cielcera Hori Hori rather than these, but i'm usually quite a distance off the beaten path. It just does a better job thru forest roots, and cuts a cleaner plug.

These I keep on hand for when I'm more expoxed to the road, and care to play more within the rules.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered one of these to try out..

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like it'll work nice enough. I wonder how the flat tip will do

This is the Cielcera.....it makes a hole. images(16).jpeg

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt remember the name Hori so i searched Japanese garden knife and found the one i ordered, the tip looks to have a sharp edge, Ill let ya know how it works out, i paid 30$ for it on ebay..

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA is the same only allowing screwdrivers and ice picks.
Those gasket scrapers work good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread