A probe, a retreival tool, to meet legal requirements

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
When on state land, my state actually has size requirements for a retreival tool. It's policy, not law, but I still intend to play by the rules.

Here is the actual verbage of the requirements.

20180406_072950.jpg

At the moment I'm going to use a belt sander to make a piece of 3/16x3/4x12 inch brass bar stock into a letter opener like tool. No grip, as I think it would then be larger than the required size.

But out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The use of a probe varies in the state that I am from. However, they typically don't specify the size of the probe. A one inch wide probe is quite gracious if you ask me. Personally, I use a flathead screwdriver that works perfectly. You just have to be sure to have a solid handle as a plastic one will break while you're trying to pry the target out of its spot. I like your idea. Let us know how it works.....

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
one of those dandilion tools might be a bit long but ready to roll....google image seymour 41035

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
They sell diggers specifically for our hobby, and I have seen them with the 1 inch blades, even owned one. They are built of heavy stainless steel and have a handgrip.
Decades ago, when I first started, I tried using a regular garden trowel, and it bent on my first try. You need something strong

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldnt the dandelion digger, and the stainless steel bladed digger potentially harm a silver/gold/copper coin?

Even brass is a 3 on the Mohs scale, while the others are 2.5-3, potentially softer than the probe.

And the wording doesn't specify EXACTLY how I'm required to recover a target, as long as the land isn't unduly disturbed .....only that larger scale digging with a larger tool isnt allowed

So nicely making a hole with a conforming tool would be lawful

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A#1 : That is some odd-wording. And I see that if you find a coin over 75 yrs. old, you can't keep that. Ok: who is out there measuring the length and width of your probes ? And who is out there with a calculator, doing the math on the age of each coin you find ?

I wonder if any md'rs at all, in MI state parks, can ever remember being carded on either of those 2 items ?

....And the wording doesn't specify EXACTLY how I'm required to recover a target, ..........

I dunno about you, but If I'm aggressive and dedicated to getting a deep coin out of a hole: I can make some MIGHTY BIG MESSES by the time I'm done, when using only a screwdriver. So if the objective is "least amount of mess", then it seems to me that a person is much better off with a lesche digger.

I see the date of your text is 1980 . Back in those days, we dug with screwdrivers. Not lesches. Because detectors back then were doing good to get 5" or 6". So me thinks your text/wording is way-outdated. And I wonder if you could find anyone alive today, in the MI state parks admin, that is even aware of that verbiage. oh well, if that's what it takes to md there: Fine: Bring on the foot long screwdriver :)

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's always a possibility of damaging a target and in this instance a coin. The softer the better in that regard but then you run the risk of bending the probe quite easily depending on how you're going to use it. Personally, I'd recommend using the 'probe and driver' method as demonstrated in this link...

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

I'd recommend using a softer type probe to locate the target and its depth and then a stronger probe to retrieve it, but that's just me...

You'd be surprised how much damage one could cause with improperly using a probe.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
A#1 : That is some odd-wording. And I see that if you find a coin over 75 yrs. old, you can't keep that. Ok: who is out there measuring the length and width of your probes ? And who is out there with a calculator, doing the math on the age of each coin you find ?

I wonder if any md'rs at all, in MI state parks, can ever remember being carded on either of those 2 items ?

I dunno about you, but If I'm aggressive and dedicated to getting a deep coin out of a hole: I can make some MIGHTY BIG MESSES by the time I'm done, when using only a screwdriver. So if the objective is "least amount of mess", then it seems to me that a person is much better off with a lesche digger.

I see the date of your text is 1980 . Back in those days, we dug with screwdrivers. Not lesches. Because detectors back then were doing good to get 5" or 6". So me thinks your text/wording is way-outdated. And I wonder if you could find anyone alive today, in the MI state parks admin, that is even aware of that verbiage. oh well, if that's what it takes to md there: Fine: Bring on the foot long screwdriver :)
Yeh, I understand its outdated text, noticed that myself.

But the document itself was from the state intranet, printed, and postmarked to me, last friday, by the secretary of the DNR Lt. of the state forest management unit I'll be in. I'll take it as current policy.

My concern is tree huggers reporting me digging.....not the targets I find. The area also happens to be a world known, quite coveted trout fishing area full of rich yuppie weenies......and just happens to have past activity of logging, railroad, organized crime, and rich people spread all over

I know the dirt police arent out there measuring things right.....but when i get reported for digging, and the CO comes to visit, I will show him the document mailed to me by his bosses secretary, the probe conforming to those rules.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other

But the document itself was from the state intranet, printed, and postmarked to me, last friday, by the secretary of the DNR Lt. of the state forest management unit I'll be in. I'll take it as current policy.

My concern is tree huggers reporting me digging.....not the targets I find. The area also happens to be a world known, quite coveted trout fishing area full of rich yuppie weenies......and just happens to have past activity of logging, railroad, organized crime, and rich people spread all over

I know the dirt police arent out there measuring things right.....but when i get reported for digging, and the CO comes to visit, I will show him the document mailed to me by his bosses secretary, the probe conforming to those rules.
my interest in this is....

vacant homes 68
occupied homes 30
interesting places i called "?" 18
abandoned logging camps 5
occupied logging camp 1
schools 3
interesting railroad junctions 2
lodges 7

marked on a 1927 map, all on public land today

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... all on public land today

Be aware, that the paper/answer you received by State DNR, in the O.P., is not necessarily the governing authority for all the spots you've pinpointed in your post #9. Ie.: just because you found something at state level , does not mean that subrogates down to lower and other forms of public land. Eg.: city, county, etc..

And even with state land varieties: Not all state land is state PARK land. There's other forms of state land. Like : road right of way, etc.... Just go. And if you want : sure: just use the prescribed digger tool, and don't find coins over 75 yrs. old. None of us find coins that old after all. :occasion14:

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious how "occupied homes" can be on public land ?
They werent public at the time the map was made. Most were patent owners from the late 1800's, but still others remained private till the 1990's....and still more are happening now as 100 year leases on lands run out.

A lot of folks just left, then for whatever reason land returned to the state, unpaid property taxes I suspect.

I generalized "public land".....but I'm a map nerd.....I know what I said was generalized, that was on purpose, I ain't giving up too much detail.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.

I would go with a gasket scraper, narrowed as needed.

61y52kZkziL._SL1500_.jpg

Brianite

Greenie
Mar 23, 2015
Marquette, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Pro-Pointer AT, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the updated policy isn't much better...but it does distinguish the kinds of DNR land. Just do what Tom_in_CA said and don't find coins over 75 years, and never think any object is significant.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the post,, I respect the effort you are making to conform to your state's policy. Until that policy is improved upon and updated to meet what others wish would allow more modern retrieval tools, it is still the standing policy.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This has been a good thread for those of us from Michigan. Thanks for the post.

Grand Haven has a "don't disturb" policy as well as a permit for city land. I have a probe made from a piece of 1/4" brass rod that has a 1/2" flat at 90° to the shaft. I haven't used it yet, but it's similar to a screwdriver or gasket scaper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, heres a first shot at it. Took a belt sander to a piece of 1/8" x 1" x 12" brass flat stock. Made a letter opener, sharpened it a bit, and gave it a quick paracord wrap.

Fits the size requirements, made of softISH metal and i should be abole to make a nice hole with it.. 20180502_200442.jpg

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The original 1/8" x 1" knife works great, but it is a little flexy when I pry.

Revision 2 is 1/4" x 3/4", we'll see how that works. 20180621_193813.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread