ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 or 800 is right in your price range. IF you can deal with the wait. If not, look at a Tesoro Sand Shark.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Equinox 600 :skullflag:

FWest

Jun 27, 2017
Detector(s) used
EQ 600, ORX, TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EQ600 is new and water proof to 10 feet. Gets my vote.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Gigirl! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Louisiana for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater - $680. It doesn't get a lot of attention here on TN, but I love mine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with the 600 or the Detector pro. And welcome.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Before I would advice anyone on what detector to buy I would want more details on the conditions your going to hunt. Also do some recon (local detecting clubs, local beach's) and see what the locals are using equipment wise and what they are finding. Also a PI as your first water detector, not a good idea. [h=2][/h]

OP
OP
G

Gigirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2018
Baton Rouge,La
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Equinox 800, Excal 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks OBN. I will be using it for detecting in the surf (Gulf of Mexico.). Water is usually very cloudy, usually can't see more than about 15-20" down. So will basically not see anything on the bottom if working in water over 2'. I do plan to go to at least waist deep and of course at the shoreline. I have a White's MXT that I have been using in the dry sand. Unfortunately, I hardly ever see anyone else detecting on the beach to talk to. Also, do not know of any groups in my area. Thanks for any input you can give.

OP
OP
G

Gigirl

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2018
Baton Rouge,La
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Equinox 800, Excal 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks VPNavy! I really appreciate the info on the state specific forum. Have now looked there at postings. Being new I have not been able to search around this entire site yet. But I have found a lot of informative postings from knowledgeable people. Again, thanks for the welcome and the state specific info.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OBN. I will be using it for detecting in the surf (Gulf of Mexico.). Water is usually very cloudy, usually can't see more than about 15-20" down. So will basically not see anything on the bottom if working in water over 2'. I do plan to go to at least waist deep and of course at the shoreline. I have a White's MXT that I have been using in the dry sand. Unfortunately, I hardly ever see anyone else detecting on the beach to talk to. Also, do not know of any groups in my area. Thanks for any input you can give.

Minelab Equinox 600. Big Gold and Silver to you!:occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, I hardly ever see anyone else detecting on the beach to talk to. Also, do not know of any groups in my area. Thanks for any input you can give.

Oh Man!!!

That bodes very well for you :) Most pray for spots like that. Welcome to TreasureNet! I second the Equinox.

And good luck!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just bought a sand shark and will try it next month on mass beach

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Have a friend that hunts the Gulf and has a nice selection of water machines he uses. See if I can get him to chime in...right now he is using the equinox 800 hunting deep waters. Did say it was a little noisy.

=Dew..
Spent 7 hours "IN" the water with the machine. It moves very well..... Anderson shaft and that coil are a good combo. Stays on the bottom and you can move as fast or slow as you want. There was just not a lot of work pushing this around.

Shes a chatty machines that likes minerals. I started running it in beach 1... but had to reduce the sensitivity to 18...... it is smoother in beach 2 even with a sensitivity of 21. I don't believe my headphones are as good as the bluetooth. I've got audio sears speakers .... but not as loud and kind of choppy like an Xcal and i was using 5 tones. So what i did was reduced the volume of iron.... then ran AM.....the iron blat broke up the tones nicely making it easier to find a target. This machine isn't going to be for everyone... that's for sure. I was hunting a different beach today with a real hard pan..... didn't get the depth that i got yesterday. But hey 3 golds in 2 days..... about got mine paid for.=

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The EQs are a bit chatty...... but will settle down with the defaults until you learn the machine. PIs..... are ok if you are sanded in and have a lot of time to waste in one spot. In the Gulf they only offer a couple of more inches of depth....... and there is a lot of trash we pass up with a VLF disc machine. Most of us hunting on Gulf beaches prefer to cover more sand and dig less trash AND you pay for your machine a lot faster with a disc machine. The EQ600 is VERY capable on the dry and wet sand and extremely light to swing. Waste deep you could likely get away with buying a nice pair of bluetooth phones or even buds. Multi freq uses the same freq/algorithms as the more expensive 800. They are offering a Military Discount as well. These machines are multi capable machines..... and are proving to be good dirt hunters as well. You shouldnt have a problem dealing with a single digit and this machine unlike MOST salt water machines offers a TID screen. They like bottle caps but it dont take long to learn them and how they react. Not a lot of choices for serious IN the salt water hunting...... especially at this price. Plus you wont have to do a lot of mods for how you will be using it. Dont forget .... you will need a good sand scoop for recovery out there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread