First time using a metal detector

ShamrocksSecret

Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I borrowed a friend's md-3010ii metal detector. I didn't have much time, so I just scanned it around in some places. I switched the mode to only gold. In the first 5 minutes it pinged and seemed to be at about 7" depth. It only beeped once. After 30 minutes, I found 5 places that it pings... all 6-8" depth. Is anyone familiar with this metal detector? I didn't have my shovel with me, so I didn't dig anything up. Would the metal detector set only on gold, ping on something not gold? Could it ping on a tiny sand sized piece that's 8" underground?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I switched the mode to only gold....

I am not familiar with a "3010ii metal detector". But I can tell you for a fact, that no metal detector exists, that can be set to find "only gold".

It might have a gold RANGE for the TID. But that would just be the ranges that alloyed gold jewelry falls into. Unfortunately: Alloyed Gold and aluminum share the same conductive ranges.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are using a low end knock off of the Ace 250. You need to dig everything for a while until you feel confident as to what the machine is telling you. Gold rings in the ranges foil through zinc. You will dig plenty of trash in that range.

OP
OP
S

ShamrocksSecret

Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply and info! Like I said, this was my very first time ever using a metal detector, so any information is definitely appreciated! The screen looks like this pic, and I "X-ed" all of the boxes besides the middle one under "gold". IMG_0991.PNG

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Borrow a gold ring or 2 and put them on the ground. Also throw some coins down, one of many denominations and a pull tab, bottle cap and a nail on the ground. Swing your machine over each of those target and get to know the sound and what your diplay is telling you.

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do what Loco said!
I would also put it in all metal mode and dig every target making note of the sound and what was recovered. Practice your form with the coil making sure you are not missing good ground.
Most important have fun and do not get discouraged! You will recover some good stuff(if it is there) and when the time is right you can hunt that ground again with a better machine.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I borrowed a friend's md-3010ii metal detector. I didn't have much time, so I just scanned it around in some places. I switched the mode to only gold. In the first 5 minutes it pinged and seemed to be at about 7" depth. It only beeped once. After 30 minutes, I found 5 places that it pings... all 6-8" depth. Is anyone familiar with this metal detector? I didn't have my shovel with me, so I didn't dig anything up. Would the metal detector set only on gold, ping on something not gold? Could it ping on a tiny sand sized piece that's 8" underground?

Well lets see pop can pull tabs,nickels,aluminum foil to name a few will all ring up as gold so you will never know unless you dig,dig,dig and believe it or not on a detector like the Mine Lab GM 1000 (Gold Monster) all coins will ring up on the meter as non ferrous I.E (Gold),do not know if silver ones will because I have not tested it but common nickels,dimes,and quarters will so just because it is saying its gold does not mean it is, like I stated the only way to know is to dig,dig,dig the only difference is if you get over an actual gold nugget it will have a low tone and the other items will have a high tone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread