Which detector is right for me?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the machines on your list, I would also look at the Tesoro Tejon, or Vaquero, w/ 11" x 8" widescan coil; and Minelab Equinox 800. :skullflag:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Calabash Digger has some great comparison videos between the Deus and the CTX. Check it out on YouTube. Good luck!

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am sure the nox guys will chime in here. They have some kind of CULT going on! I am pulling the trigger on a CTX personally. The features cannot be found on another machine. Looks like Minelab has set the bar on this one. The only negative reviews I hear is from people that do not swing them all day everyday.

Honestly coming from a tech background I love the ability to flash the machine for future upgrades from home. Hopefully this will be my last machine but I somehow doubt it.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned all except the deus. Currently I own ctx and equinox 800. If you want something with all the advanced features and options and like playing with settings the ctx is the way to go. I personally like playing with the settings it is like having a new detector each time you set it up differently. The GPS feature if you think you will use it is very cool as well. Target ID is slightly better on ctx and etrac than 800.

That being said I don't think you will find anything with the ctx that you wont find with the 800. But you will find some nice targets masked by iron and other trash with 800 that most likely will be missed with ctx or etrac. I have witnessed that with my own eyes. The equinox is much easier to operate and swing if you like more of a "power on and go" machine.

You really can't go wrong with any of these machines they are all top notch and wont miss much. It all comes down to features that are important to you and your style of hunting. Good luck with whatever machine you choose!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between the two you mentioned:

If your sites contain a lot of modern, non ferrous trash- CTX. If not- Deus.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live right down the road from you. I have a Deus and no complaints. Private message me if you wanna go hunting sometime.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy and Equinox 600 or 800 and it will fill all your needs at a reasonable price. The Equinox is the best mix of all three detectors your looking at. Believe me you won't be sorry

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the CTX and the Tejon as Terry mentioned above. The Tejon is a turn on and go machine, I dig a whole lot more trash with the Tejon, but I've made very nice finds with both machines. The Tejon is going to fill your pouch with a lot more trash, but actually is a whole lot easier to use. I ordered an Equinox 800 three weeks ago, and someday I'll be using that too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread