Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Maybe depth. Maybe iron masking of good targets. Maybe weigh of the machine. Lighter machines = more time hunting time. Probably more advantages to an upgrade. Good luck with whatever machine you use.:thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if it serves you well, there is probably no true NEED to upgrade. The last two upgrades for me went well, mainly due to the weight issue. Things have changed, but the basics have not, and a lot of folks who rely on their meters will miss the good stuff, sometimes the gold puts a mustache on and hides!

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
yeh, weight jumps out at me, and battery life

Hunt time makes sense, but I really only get a few hours at a crack, so It ain't really much of a factor.

I saw one with GPS tracking.....but I do that with the $50 cell phone in my pocket.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats funny i just went back to a 6000 hip mount because of the weight ....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day I have to use a hip mount or a harness is the day I take up surfing the internet.....oh, oh!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There Spectrum was good for its day. But is rather dated now. There are machines that go as deep (or deeper) now, with better target separation, less masking. So, for example: The Spectrum was not a good machine for iron/nail ridden ghost towns.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never dug a ghost town but that one Civil War camp I have is a bear! Thousands upon thousands of bits of iron ration cans everywhere.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
There Spectrum was good for its day. But is rather dated now. There are machines that go as deep (or deeper) now, with better target separation, less masking. So, for example: The Spectrum was not a good machine for iron/nail ridden ghost towns.
can you tell me what machines you speak of?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one that jumps out right now is the Equinox. Been some great feedback for this new model. It will beat your Spectrum in every aspect (except maybe shallow target I.D.) and is waterproof....a definite plus. As mentioned above, target unmasking, depth, weight, true multifrequency for salt water beach, wireless tech, etc.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The one that jumps out right now is the Equinox. Been some great feedback for this new model. It will beat your Spectrum in every aspect (except maybe shallow target I.D.) and is waterproof....a definite plus. As mentioned above, target unmasking, depth, weight, true multifrequency for salt water beach, wireless tech, etc.
the equinox 600, or 800?

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
800 if you can find it but the 600 would be a nice upgrade . I have pounded my yard with an ATP and deus . Due to repeat snow I can barley hunt my yard but I found a 1902 dime and a 1905 penny in the frozen ground I know I have been over many times . A new machine should reopen your old ground .Even a used AT pro for $300 would work .

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well.... this is a Ford/Chevy question. But: I'm doing better with my explorer II, than I ever did with my spectrum.
Yeh, I know......I just wanted an Idea of the current machines that yall might call "better" in comparison, so I can check out features and whatnot, do some reading.

I could get a new one if i really wanted to, but I dont know that I can really justify the money for it, or really even want one.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeh, I know......I just wanted an Idea of the current machines that yall might call "better" in comparison, so I can check out features and whatnot, do some reading.

With the capabilities and depth of the Equinox 600, that would be a great choice.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy and Equinox 600 and you will find out what you're missing out on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread