What am I doing wrong? Rust removal / Electrolysis

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some steel wheat cent's that I found with other copper wheat cents. They are obviously rusted badly, but I have seen others on here have success using electrolysis to bring them back to at least decent shape.

I have tried 2 different coins and the only thing that appears to be happening is the coin is getting smaller but no details are showing. I guess it's possible that they are too far gone to have positive results, but I thought I would see if there is something I'm missing or doing wrong.

I'm using A&H Super Washing Soda with an old Sears 4 amp charger (6 & 12 volt). A piece of rebar for the sacrificial steel and I attach the positive lead to that. I have small alligator clip attached to the negative lead and I clipped the coin to that. I'm using a small plastic container.

i suppose I could try another object besides the wheats to see if I can any better results.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Upvote 0

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
I'm trying Evapo-rust. I ordered some from amazon. I don't know how well it works yet. Just easier for me living in an apartment.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying Evapo-rust. I ordered some from amazon. I don't know how well it works yet. Just easier for me living in an apartment.

I've been thinking about trying something like that. Might as well give it a go.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont do coins in mine, but your set up sounds correct. One thing to remember electroylsis is directional, so on large items ax heads etc, I use 4 peices of flat stock in a bucket, to suround the item 102_8644.JPG 102_8634.JPG 102_8641.JPG I Only use this setup on big iron

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of years I've been aiming to set up for electrolysis. I did chores today in the garden, clipped Navajo blackberries and did some cuts to try rooting - plants for gifts to friends.

Maybe tomorrow my chore should be to set up an electrolysis bucket. The problem with retirement is laziness......

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your set up it right this was might first electrolysis project. I have a homemade wall unit (Getto style). I want that old Sears unit you have. I JUST took this out just now after a week of cooking. Old sad iron.

Before IMG_2591.JPG IMG_2590.JPG

Now IMG_2643.JPG IMG_2644.JPG

Wife is mad I did it on the kitchen counter

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your set up it right this was might first electrolysis project. I have a homemade wall unit (Getto style). I want that old Sears unit you have. I JUST took this out just now after a week of cooking. Old sad iron.

Before View attachment 1576346 View attachment 1576347

Now View attachment 1576348 View attachment 1576349

Wife is mad I did it on the kitchen counter

If you have a good connection to the item it should only take 8-12 hours Truth. I check clean and re-attach every couple hours, to get the best connection. If I am reading between 6 to 12 amps, I am happy. A week is way to long. the ax head was over night

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a good connection to the item it should only take 8-12 hours Truth. I check clean and re-attach every couple hours, to get the best connection. If I am reading between 6 to 12 amps, I am happy. A week is way to long. the ax head was over night

I agree I have a weak homemade unit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread