What is the best digging tool you can buy????

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there, but I swear by the hori hori knife. I bought two of them just in case one broke, but I don't think that will ever happen. It has a lot of heft to it and is real easy to cut plugs and dig with. You can pick them up on the net for $17-$25 or at a hardware or garden store. They even make one with a long handle. I haven't seen one but I bet that would be good too. Here is a link to an article from my local paper about them.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/tester/2002202274_tester13.html

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gator is excellent. It will scoop out dirt if you don't quite get the pinpointing right. The saw edge cuts through 1 inch roots. Feels balanced in my hand. In fields I use a $7.00 shovel from Walmart. It has a D handle and is about 6" across 30" handle. I sharpened the edge to a point and it really dig like a pro.

Ed

R

rvbvetter

Just don't try to use the Gator to lever out stubborn plugs. Got one a month ago from kellyco, and over easter wknd it broke in half. Half way down the blade. Life time guarantee? I wonder what you half to do?

OP
OP
Diggingmailman

Diggingmailman

Feb 25, 2005
Portland, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the response. I might just order the gator.

F

foolserrand

i cant believe noone has mentioned the Lesche or predator tools's handheld digger!! Been detecting over 5 years now & wont use anything else.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, Lesche and predator are excellent tools. The only reason I got the Gator was it was discounted when I bought the detector form KellyCo. Also came with a real nice free lock blade knife. You got to love those free-bees. If the other two had been offered instead I would probably have gotten one of them.

Keep Digging!

Ed

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Gator and it is excellent for cutting plugs but slow to remove dirt because it is so skinny. I carry a wide garden trowel to scoop after I cut the plug with the a Gator.

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure there's lots of good ones out there. Personally, I've used a Lesche Digger for years and love it. I can't imagine it ever breaking. The digger, an old screwdriver and a TinyTec probe make up my small arsenal of tools.

Kent

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Couldn't resist.? ?:P
Be hard to brake this one too. Just be careful not to scratch old coins. ;D

Attachments

• armored earth mover.JPG
    armored earth mover.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 677
G

goldhound47

I always used an extra large flatt head screw driver and a small garden trowel that I've sharpened with a file, so I can cut the sod plug.

A

aj_chicago

I use a one piece, 9 inch camping knife that came with a hatchet back when I was a boy scout. It has about a 5 inch blade. It is very sharp and slightly curved at the tip (good for working out rocks in the hole). I cut a horseshoe around the pinpointed target, then cut at a downward angle under the front of the horseshoe and lift back on the plug of sod. The sharp knife goes through the sod very easily (I won't say like butter, but pretty easily) and the plug is usually folded back or in my hands looking for the coin in less than 10 seconds. Now when I get into gravel or gravel mixed with clay I wish I had a trowel tool of some sort, but it's not a necessity yet and it's one less item to carry. I'm a newbie and I'm doing real good with just the ACE 250 and knife. The ACE is just so damn good at pinpointing that I haven't missed one yet on the first plug or hole and I bet I've dug 100 in the month I've had the 250 and the few times I've had it out. I can't imagine pinpointing to the point of probing straight to the coin (or target) with a piano wire tool or skinny screwdriver like I've read about. I'm sure there are those who can, but I'll have to see that one.

O

Oddfello

I use a Lesche and am very pleased. I am 6'2 225lbs. and really bear down on the thing to get plugs up, even in clay soil and never feel like it might break. It also goes through roots and gravel very well.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I have the Gator and it's worked good for me! No regrets at all. I've also read a lot that Lesche is one of the best on the market, but haven't tried one yet. HH 8)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Gator and if digging in hard soil you have to be careful about prying with it as mine bends easilly. It is very good for cutting plugs so that they come out mostly whole. It's a bit over priced I think but I got mine at a discount because I bought it at the same time I bought my detector at Kellyco.

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
I got a gator tool with my new detector. I sharpened the tips with a file and the non sarated edge with a grinder (razor sharp) and it works like a dream. don't leave home without it. I don't use it much because I mostly hunt beaches but it worked wonders in the weeds.HH.

CHRIS

A

aj_chicago

Does a Lesche Predator have a sharpened/honed (like a knife) side edge opposite the serrated edge so we don't need to grind it right out of the box? Do others?

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
This is my Chinese special, Stainless steel, rubber handle.. It had a serrated tip, which worked well, so I sharpened it, and used a bench grinder to add serrations right up both sides of the blade.. It Cuts grass/roots/dirt.. Everything.. The handle/shaft/blade are all one piece. The shaft has bent slightly while prying out a tough plug, but it straightened out again.. The thing was 10 bucks (Canadian) which would be about 7-8 buck U.S. It's holding up to my prying so far, and I'm 6'2 and 240 lbs..

Attachments

• Digger.jpg
    Digger.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 485
  • Digger.jpg
    Digger.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 421
A

another _novice

I ordered this after reading your post and I love it.

caratjuice said:
I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there, but I swear by the hori hori knife. I bought two of them just in case one broke, but I don't think that will ever happen. It has a lot of heft to it and is real easy to cut plugs and dig with. You can pick them up on the net for $17-$25 or at a hardware or garden store. They even make one with a long handle. I haven't seen one but I bet that would be good too. Here is a link to an article from my local paper about them.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/tester/2002202274_tester13.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions