How far to the outhouse?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, pretty good question, never gave it much thought, of course I would assume it would be from the "back door".

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm thinking 50-75 ft from the back door would be a good guess.Maybe traces of a walkway can be found.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess we could ask an "Out House Rat".........wait, never mind, they're crazy. Scratch this idea.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally speaking.....

Commonly.....

An outhouse was built within how many feet of the door?

Far enough away not to smell it.......yet close enough in a blizard......50-75 feet?

There are lots of variables to consider. Is the house out in the country where yard boundaries' are variable and could have changed over time, or is the house in a town or city where property lines are close to the house? If it is an older property there could have been several privies used over time. Possibly one farther away for summertime, and one closer to the house for winter necessities. Some folks even had men's outhouses, and separate facilities for women. If it is in a town or urban setting then the most likely spots are along the side and rear property lines. If it is a country dwelling then it could be anywhere, and around large old trees or against old barns or outbuilding might be likely spots to probe or detect. Good luck.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Having experienced the joy of a wooden seat on a frigid or sweltering day in several "little house out back", it has been my observation that most were in the 50 to 100 foot range. There were all in the country but not all on farms. In my youth, most country or small village homes had one even if they had indoor plumbing. Our country school also had indoor plumbing built in the 20's but retained the outhouses, one for boys and one for girls. Most did have a walk of some kind going to it.
My favorite outhouse story came from a Great Aunt. A young man was taking her for a buggy ride and on the way home had a "pain" that needed urgent relief. As they got to the house he handed my Aunt the reins, jumped off the buggy and took off in a run to the "little house". As he's running, he's unbuttoning his pants so when he hit's the door he can turn around and drop his drawers,which he does, and sits right down on my Great Grandma. Good luck.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There may be several outhouses. Had a friend who had to move his outhouse because it was contaminating his well. When he moved the outhouse, the well dried up!:tongue3::laughing7::tongue3:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Our outhouse was about 50' from the back door to the house, kinda cramped - needed another seat for those big spiders....

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a root cellar on the property ? 007.JPG Or an outside well ? 026.JPG

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres still a house foundation, and a 5 segment circulat anomoly that I can see with google earth......but with the weather, I can't get back there yet to really look around.

Well, at that place anyhow, theres quite a few i got mapped out, that's why the question. Sort of setting an outermost search perimeter.

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Simplex
Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to say exactly but I have seen them as close as 20 feet away on the east side and south west sides.

digginNdreamin

Nov 21, 2016
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the ones I have dug around or been near, I would guess 25 to 50 feet..Most of the time there will be a depression in the ground or lilac type bushes around..

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm thinking 50-75 ft from the back door would be a good guess.Maybe traces of a walkway can be found.

I read a good book ---------------------"Twenty yards to the outhouse" written by Willy Makit

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
My favorite book about an outhouse is a short story about a man who never had an outhouse..... I believe it was by I.P. FREELY....:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread