Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All right, A#1, I'll bite. First question; yes. Second, as we all know from watching movies and such over the years, killing someone does two things. Getting rid of a problem, and sending a message to all the other Goombahs. If you're really huge, you just disappear...think Jimmy Hoffa.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Its funny you mention Hoffa, they looked for him there.

Its far fetched, I know, but I found a site that just makes the imagination churn, and raises questions like this

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its funny you mention Hoffa, they looked for him there.

Its far fetched, I know, but I found a site that just makes the imagination churn, and raises questions like this

We can't say if it's far fetched until you share what it is.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
We can't say if it's far fetched until you share what it is.
I suppose thats a good point, but I wont give all my details.

A site I'll be hunting soon, unrelated to organized crime, yet in VERY close proximity. Close enough to make you think.....Did they bury a body there?

Probably not, but ya never know, it IS possible.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's over 2 feet down, you won't find the coins.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose thats a good point, but I wont give all my details.

A site I'll be hunting soon, unrelated to organized crime, yet in VERY close proximity. Close enough to make you think.....Did they bury a body there?

Probably not, but ya never know, it IS possible.

When out of the big cities , r& r were often the goal.
Spots around Mi. where certain folks were noted ,they were not noted for violence.
Think low profile vacation type attitudes.

Who's home in relation to how far? Rivers carry things away. Less digging involved,and less attention to sites, evidence thereon.

If you are referring to a land/ home owner.....Why arouse suspicion? A few bucks and goodwill gifts would tide most over during a stay nearby. And quiet.
Neighbors,post office or deliveries, church ,businesses in nearest town would notice someone missing. And ruin the peace.
No sense in whacking a local and then having to find another quiet place where locals leave you alone....again.

I'd be more interested in an " emergency" cache ,than a body stashed.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would they strip your corpse of valuables before they dumped or buried you?

How close to home would they dump your corpse?

who's home? the killers? or the killee?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say, I don't know about gangs, but everyone I've killed I leave em where they fall

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The body would not be stripped of valuables.Items taken would be evidence,it wouldn't be a smart move.The nearest gangland dumping ground:laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would they strip the personal effects and valuables? Not necessarily.

Just because you do a hit that doesn't make you a thief. Robbery takes additional time when you could be spotted, leaves more evidence of you being there, and then there are the items taken that could link you to the victim.

Good book from some years past: Joey the Hitman, the Autobiography of a Mafia Killer.

Business was business. You did what the Boss asked for and didn't get "creative."

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We could tell you...but then we'd have to execute you. 🚫

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
truth is about this place...

a guy bought an 80 acre piece of land in 1907, built a house and whatnot, then died of pnuemonia in 1916

The driveway to this house was about a mile long, and went from a crossroads straight to the house.

Some time in the late teens, or early twenties, an organized crime group bought the land where the crossroads was, effectively cutting off the driveway to this house. You had to drive to the mobsters house, to get to the driveway, then across his land to the house.

Other than this road, I can find no connection at all between the people, or the lands.

The organized crime group owned this land from theb1920's until sometime in the 1980's, and the land really was searched for Jimmy Hoffa, this is known, documented fact, not rumor or story

So in reality.....in the middle of nowhere, this home site was the abandoned house, at the end of a mile long 2 track, only accessible to gang members, thru their property.....this is drawn on a 1927 government agency map I own, so it's also a pretty solid fact

I dont expect to find much of anything. A cache or horde is a fun thought, but I keep thinking about finding a big fat diamond ring....with finger bones still in it.

Much of my story IS fact, but this road, and the map I have are oddities that makes a treasure hunter dream. The road is gone now, but the house foundation remains in the woods. The map, was made by a government agency, but I have only ever seen 6 like it, I own 2, the guy that gave them to me owns 2, and he gave 2 to a neighbor. I know people know the foundation is there, but not many. I would bet it has been hunted before.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... , this is known, documented fact, not rumor or story
.....this is drawn on a 1927 government agency map I own, so it's also a pretty solid fact
.... Much of my story IS fact..... .

A#1, you are falling prey to the age-old psychological trap of "separating fact from fiction".

You are finding tid-bit 'facts' in your story. Eg.: names, dates, and events. So there's some sort of conlusion that follows in your mind. Ie.: "treasure". Right ? And if that's ever-to-be-in-doubt, you go back to the parts of the story are true, and your mind focuses on them.

But wait: If 99% of the story is true (names, dates, and events). And 1 % isn't true (that there, is of necessity, "a treasure", then: What good does it do you that the other 99% of the story is true ?

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
A#1, you are falling prey to the age-old psychological trap of "separating fact from fiction".

You are finding tid-bit 'facts' in your story. Eg.: names, dates, and events. So there's some sort of conlusion that follows in your mind. Ie.: "treasure". Right ? And if that's ever-to-be-in-doubt, you go back to the parts of the story are true, and your mind focuses on them.

But wait: If 99% of the story is true (names, dates, and events). And 1 % isn't true (that there, is of necessity, "a treasure", then: What good does it do you that the other 99% of the story is true ?
And that sir, is 100% fact

I have too much time on my hands to drink coffee, watch it snow and have fun daydreaming about that 1% of "what if" when I finally get to go play.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting story, A#1. I give it long odds for a ring on a finger bone. Good luck to you.

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
Sounds like you have a site known for money, guns, and drinking. Sounds like a good combo to find something!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I lived in Metro-Detroit in the late 70's to 2009, they were still searching for Hoffa.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread