Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Lets talk: Best All Around Metal Detector- High End Level

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    10875 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    ROFL, a metal detecting permit good anywhere in the USA? Union troops camped on the White House grounds once. I really don't think they'll let you detect there.

us
    Mar 2016
    Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
    Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
    22 times
    Im not looking for recommendations for myself. Just thought this would be fun for everyone.
    The idea isnt to collectively come up with the one most favorite detector, but rather to see what you guys would chose as your 1 single machine to cover all your hunting needs As Best As Possible.
    So far, there's some really inyeresting posts. Especially on the Beach grounds topic, even though that wasn't what I intended.
    See, just keep it coming. It's all Good! 😊

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    10875 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Ok, in that case I like my XP Deus the best for all around. I'm down to two detectors now, that and the Tesoro Cibola. Cibola does very well in fields and beaches. I generally do not dig parks. I sold the Tesoro Vaqeuro (didn't need it) and the Minelab Equinox 600 (hurt my arm to use it) and no real advantage over what I had. I have used other Whites and Garretts in the past, plus a few other Tdesoros.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1748 times
    sssmiller, one BIG factor for any detector that might be considered, is the OPERATOR.

us
    Oct 2009
    7001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sssmiller View Post
    Im not looking for recommendations for myself. Just thought this would be fun for everyone.
    The idea isnt to collectively come up with the one most favorite detector, but rather to see what you guys would chose as your 1 single machine to cover all your hunting needs As Best As Possible.
    So far, there's some really inyeresting posts. Especially on the Beach grounds topic, even though that wasn't what I intended.
    See, just keep it coming. It's all Good! 
    so, 1 machine to all my needs as best as possible. For the last 6 years that has been my CTX. I'm still learning my brand new Equinox, which could likely replace the CTX.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8481 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    I guess high end can mean lots of things. I consider my Tesoro Compadre a top of the line detector for tot lots and competition hunts.
    Correct. And this humble machine will BLOW AWAY a CTX 3030 or Nox 800 in a nail-riddled environment. Has excellent "averaging" ability, to see coins next to , or under nails.

But this humble machine is doing good to go 6" . And perhaps lacks any sort of tell-tale TID audio. And perhaps wains in minerals and wet salt. Yet for ghost-townsy or nail-riddled sidewalk tearouts, or burned down building sites, it's great.
    Ammoman and Slingshot like this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8481 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    ...on the White House grounds once. I really don't think they'll let you detect there.
    Sure they will. Just show them your "Tom_in_CA universal detecting permit". They will slink away, embarrassed for even having questioned you.

I sell these permits for a mere $100 each. I accept paypal.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    8481 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by sssmiller View Post
    .... what you guys would chose as your 1 single machine to cover all your hunting needs As Best As Possible. ...
    Exp. II, with sunray probe, does 99% of all my hunting needs. Occasionally grab my Tesoro Bandido for certain ghost-townsy nail-riddled sites.

Charter Member
    us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    3782 times
    I think it's the Machine you know best (of course) , & site trumps all that.

Too many Variables involved .

Example , IMO, I'm still learning everyday.
    A Civil War Winter camp .
    When its Virgin , any good $150 , $250 machine will work.

After it's been hit by 100 or so people for a few years , Any good Mid level machine should work .

A year later. A mid or high Dollar machine will pull the deeper targets , Conditions always Vary , Wet soil u get deeper target's , then there is the ones that were just 'Missed' or not hit at the prefect angle.

Then after many years and 100's of hunters / machines , It's Pulse time GPX preferably for the Deep Stuff & Smaller Deep stuff ...Stuff 14-18 inches +.

A Civil War Camp is a Dig it all site IMO , especially after 30 + years.

This is a Bad example esp, with my messed up typing.

My answer is the machine you know best , "Beware the man with 1 machine , who has 1000's of hours of use".

AT-Pro / MAX , F 75 , T2 , MXT, , Similar Tesoro , machines will get the job done IMO (in the 4-10" ) area , If I could have a Non -Pluse machine will get me Dimes / Silver or not, consistently at 18 inches heck even 12 inches in my N GA red clay soil , I'd be sold.

My XLT was/is a good all-round machine , I assume the Equinox is as well 600 or 800 .

I think of a CTX being a Beast with it's High price tag / Big stock coil but have never used one.

Water-Proof is a big +++++
    Loco-Digger and sprailroad like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4668 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    For the last several years, I have thought the CTX was the best all around machine on the market. I also believe the Equinox 800 will probably take over that #1 spot, due to it's lighter weight, lower cost, faster processor, and better nugget hunting performance. The jury is still out, but, they're heading back to the court room with a decision!
    sprailroad likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Nov 2005
    86 times
    My vote also goes to the CTX. Not just performance, but real world features.
    The collapsible shaft. Its about time detector manufacturers got away from that garage tech. The wireless headphones. The GPS. You know, Minelab realized that a high end detector like that will be used by pros in wild places, and GPS could save your life by getting you in-lost. Or pinpointing a treasure to return to.
    It is waterproof, which is a no-brainer, and has the famous Minelab full spectrum.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2502 times
    What company makes the Cazador?
    Jason in Enid likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    2502 times
    All my good members: When reading comments, look to the left and read the type of metal detectors that members use, and you get a good idea on what is a good and not so good metal detectors. Good hunting and good luck.
    sprailroad likes this.

us
    jd88047

Nov 2010
    SouthWestern USA
    Bad Habits, lol.
    1813 times
    F75 still does what I expect. The AT Pro will let you get wet, and does great in trash. The Etta finds the good stuff. Just not impressed with the new detectors. No one here owns a box or dead or make so will stick with what works. I'm sure new machines do great. The answer is how good you are with the detector you own.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    Dan

Feb 2016
    Petersburg Virginia
    Deus, Others
    943 times
    Relic Hunting
    NO machine on the market hunts trash can lids better than my Metrotech.
    Dig it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links