sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Let the feathers fly!
I'm wanting to hear what and why you guys love your high end machines.
The machines in question are the most popular, all around machines. Please dont enter specific use machines like prospecting ones.
Please be kind of others, but also state factual flaws or lack of features other machines have as well.
This doesn't have to be defined as "high dollar". If you feel your machine worthy to stand against the elite, bring it on.
Just remeber, this not necessarily a "bang for your buck" comparison. This is an all out, drag race, if you will.
Lets see whats under the hood of these Monster Machines from the drivers themselves.
Above all, lets have fun bragging about our better half, and pictures are more than appreciated.
What do say??

David

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I guess high end can mean lots of things. I consider my Tesoro Compadre a top of the line detector for tot lots and competition hunts.

Correct. And this humble machine will BLOW AWAY a CTX 3030 or Nox 800 in a nail-riddled environment. Has excellent "averaging" ability, to see coins next to , or under nails.

But this humble machine is doing good to go 6" . And perhaps lacks any sort of tell-tale TID audio. And perhaps wains in minerals and wet salt. Yet for ghost-townsy or nail-riddled sidewalk tearouts, or burned down building sites, it's great.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...on the White House grounds once. I really don't think they'll let you detect there.

Sure they will. Just show them your "Tom_in_CA universal detecting permit". They will slink away, embarrassed for even having questioned you.

I sell these permits for a mere $100 each. I accept paypal.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... what you guys would chose as your 1 single machine to cover all your hunting needs As Best As Possible. ...

Exp. II, with sunray probe, does 99% of all my hunting needs. Occasionally grab my Tesoro Bandido for certain ghost-townsy nail-riddled sites.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's the Machine you know best (of course) , & site trumps all that.

Too many Variables involved .

Example , IMO, I'm still learning everyday.
A Civil War Winter camp .
When its Virgin , any good $150 , $250 machine will work.

After it's been hit by 100 or so people for a few years , Any good Mid level machine should work .

A year later. A mid or high Dollar machine will pull the deeper targets , Conditions always Vary , Wet soil u get deeper target's , then there is the ones that were just 'Missed' or not hit at the prefect angle.

Then after many years and 100's of hunters / machines , It's Pulse time GPX preferably for the Deep Stuff & Smaller Deep stuff ...Stuff 14-18 inches +.

A Civil War Camp is a Dig it all site IMO , especially after 30 + years.

This is a Bad example esp, with my messed up typing.

My answer is the machine you know best , "Beware the man with 1 machine , who has 1000's of hours of use".

AT-Pro / MAX , F 75 , T2 , MXT, , Similar Tesoro , machines will get the job done IMO (in the 4-10" ) area , If I could have a Non -Pluse machine will get me Dimes / Silver or not, consistently at 18 inches heck even 12 inches in my N GA red clay soil , I'd be sold.

My XLT was/is a good all-round machine , I assume the Equinox is as well 600 or 800 .

I think of a CTX being a Beast with it's High price tag / Big stock coil but have never used one.

Water-Proof is a big +++++

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last several years, I have thought the CTX was the best all around machine on the market. I also believe the Equinox 800 will probably take over that #1 spot, due to it's lighter weight, lower cost, faster processor, and better nugget hunting performance. The jury is still out, but, they're heading back to the court room with a decision! :laughing7:

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
My vote also goes to the CTX. Not just performance, but real world features.
The collapsible shaft. Its about time detector manufacturers got away from that garage tech. The wireless headphones. The GPS. You know, Minelab realized that a high end detector like that will be used by pros in wild places, and GPS could save your life by getting you in-lost. Or pinpointing a treasure to return to.
It is waterproof, which is a no-brainer, and has the famous Minelab full spectrum.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my good members: When reading comments, look to the left and read the type of metal detectors that members use, and you get a good idea on what is a good and not so good metal detectors. Good hunting and good luck.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F75 still does what I expect. The AT Pro will let you get wet, and does great in trash. The Etta finds the good stuff. Just not impressed with the new detectors. No one here owns a box or dead or make so will stick with what works. I'm sure new machines do great. The answer is how good you are with the detector you own.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry. I have tried a lot of machines and the Equinox 800 blows away any machine under $2000. Seriously I have never owned a CTX 3030 but have used one and it's great but the Equinox for 40% of the cost runs pretty darn close minus a few high end features such as gps tracking etc. I am not sure about the Cazador but if it's that good that's all we'd hear about. Most experts in the metal detecting field love the Equinox especially for the money.. Not everyone wants and Equinox and there are a lot of machines out there some machines are superior in certain areas and that's what some people want.

I guess the best advice I could give anyone is to do your research and go with your gut. What I say or anyone else says is our opinions only. No matter what after the euphoria wears off from being the best detector you thought was right for you is you will most likely have 2nd thoughts.. Every detector I ever bought was the perfect fit until I bought the next one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or...go test drive one of each, it's the best way to tell for sure.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Deere vs IH

Ok, that one might be a bit dated since IH is now Case-IH, but the debate rages on as people argue endlessly about the merits/faults of red verses green.

Then there's the timeless Chevy vs Ford thing and all that it entails (including those guys who insist the real answer is Dodge).

For myself, I'd prefer a long nosed Pete with a six and a quarter kitty kat stuffed under the hood and 18 gears of pure Adrenalin turning the drivers. Put a big ol' sun visor on her and darken the windows to the point that nobody can see inside the cab, and I'll sit comfortably in a seat that makes my Lazy boy weep with envy as I look over the hood-mounted horns and chew up those miles.

Sure, it's a pricey ride. And 8 miles per gallon is a decent day with some loads. There's also the DOT and all of their little games, and tickets can be real expensive. Parking can be a bit dicey at times and tight turns are not its forte.

On the other hand you have an unmatched field of view and can flat out blow most of the other vehicles away – if you're so inclined – over distance. It's not too bad off the line either – especially so if you're bob-tailing. In fact most 4-wheelers are shocked when they get a first-hand look at what a big truck can do when properly motivated.

Best of all is the fact that I can bring 45,000 pounds of my stuff with me. Thanks to the long base, your ride will be smooth as a baby's butt – well maybe not as smooth as some luxury sedan, but it'll be closer than most think.

In spite of all that such a ride offers, it does not obsolete all other forms of transportation (it would be a terrible choice if I wished to travel over water).

When choosing a top of the line piece of equipment there are always multiple factors to be weighed: what it excels at, what it does with satisfaction, and what it cannot do. There are also other considerations – price, personal preference, personal experiences, and a myriad of other decisions that must be dealt with.

It's the same with metal detectors.

What works for me may not work for you. My favorite machines may well be your least favorite machines. And vice versa.

Case in point – I've owned (and used) two of Minelabs more popular models (Etrack and CTX 3030). I didn't care for either of them. That doesn't mean they aren't good machines – too many people with lots of good finds for that to be the case – but they aren't the right machines for me.

And that factors in (for me anyway) when I'm considering a new machine. I gave both versions of the Nox a good look this year – and passed on choosing either of them. My prior experience (with Minelab machines) weighed heavily, but I also factored in other details that I didn't care for (VDI range too cramped is a big one to me).

I really didn't need another machine (if the truth be known) but did end up purchasing the Makro Multi Kruzer. While it is too early to tell for sure (I just received it a few days ago) I believe I made the right choice for me.

That determination will be made on how the MMK works for me. I am not competing with anyone but myself – I wanted to fill a perceived gap in my arsenal and I wanted to give myself the best opportunity to find the things I enjoy searching for.

Is it possible that someone else can out hunt me?

Yep. In fact it is likely that there are a lot of people who can out hunt me – some could do so with a poorly functioning Radio Shack machine.

I've gone behind people using a CTX 3030, using my Compadre, and found stuff they missed.

Is the Compadre a better machine (than the CTX 3030)? In some ways, yes. But in general I'd say it isn't. I just happened to get my coil over an item that the other person missed.

I've hunted my own areas with every machine I've owned and have always found something that I missed on earlier attempts. That doesn't make my V3i a bad machine (in fact I've found more with it than any of my other machines). It doesn't make my Compadre a bad machine either (I've found quite a bit with it as well). And the same goes for all of my machines (minus the MMK – because I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet).

In my opinion parameters matter. In fact they are the most important aspect of all: choosing the correct tool can't happen without choosing the most important parameters.

I've purchased two Minelab machines based on people telling me that those machines were the absolute best machine available. In both cases I found out otherwise: they weren't the best machines for me.

I wonder how many people are swayed into buying something that isn't the right machine (for them) simply because others proclaim it is the only real choice out there.

In spite of the hype around Minelab's latest (which is annoying at times) I'm still thrilled that Minelab came out with the Nox. It will drive competition, which will mean better machines from all the companies. I love that.

BTW

I like KW too.

Toyota and Chevy

Allis Chalmers

Yuengling and Sam Adams

Evan Williams

Whites and Tesoro (and Makro)

Mexican and Thai

Silver coins

Tony Lukes

Pentax

Boker (carbon steel) and AG Russell