sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Let the feathers fly!
I'm wanting to hear what and why you guys love your high end machines.
The machines in question are the most popular, all around machines. Please dont enter specific use machines like prospecting ones.
Please be kind of others, but also state factual flaws or lack of features other machines have as well.
This doesn't have to be defined as "high dollar". If you feel your machine worthy to stand against the elite, bring it on.
Just remeber, this not necessarily a "bang for your buck" comparison. This is an all out, drag race, if you will.
Lets see whats under the hood of these Monster Machines from the drivers themselves.
Above all, lets have fun bragging about our better half, and pictures are more than appreciated.
What do say??

David

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been keeping my finger on the pulse of the higher end machines for a few years, and all are good. There are even great machines available in the higher mid level market. What features do you think you need? Waterproof, wireless, multiple freq options or others? I am quite happy with my current machine, have 4 years experience with her and am not going to drop big buck to gain 1/4 inch of depth.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best "All-Around" metal detector is the Minelab Equinox 800. Drop the mic.. :skullflag:

OP
OP
S

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That machine does bring a lot to the table. 5 freq. !!!
Are they running simultaneously?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you would want to define "high level" as some machines can cost $10k. Plz.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For salt water there is no machine more capable than the Excalibur. Submersible to 200 feet. Salt will not interfere with it's performance.
The Etrac will scream at you when it goes over Silver and has the capability to show you multiple targets on screen. It can help you pull a silver dime out of a hole it was sharing with an iron nail. The only problem is rain. The Etrac does not like water.
The CTX 3030 is fully submersible to 10 feet and can handle salt water. It is well balanced and is faster and goes deeper than the Etrac. The CTX is also equipped with GPS and can remember where you hunted if you enter that information. I understand that the next modification will be lightweight Side Winder Missiles.
The XP DEUS is so light it is almost invisible. It matches the CTX in it's ability to go deep and it's reactivity time is second to none.
These are machines that are currently in my arsenal.
The Equinox 800 is ,, well I'm watching and leaning towards a purchase.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In order to compare, you have to set the parameters. Are you asking about water detectors or land detectors or pulse induction, or scuba, or gold prospecting?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In order to compare, you have to set the parameters. Are you asking about water detectors or land detectors or pulse induction, or scuba, or gold prospecting?

Correct. This is like asking "What's the best high-end motor vehicle ?" Well gee, what is the person looking for ? Top end speed ? (consider a corvette). Low end torque ? (consider a low-geared stump-puller pickup). Taking the kids to soccer practice ? (consider a mini-van). Hauling gravel from the quarry ? (consider a bobtail truck).

Just depends on the end use. And if someone asks what you want to use the detector for, and lists various venues, don't say "all of the above". In the same way you can't say "all of the above" for the motor vehicle question.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no one machine that will do it all. A CTX 3030 or an XP Deus will blow you away at a park. The Equinox 800 runs close to these. A Minelab GPX series is the best for deep gold in the desert. I also concur with the Excalibur for underwater use.

Depends on what you want to do.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess high end can mean lots of things. I consider my Tesoro Compadre a top of the line detector for tot lots and competition hunts.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammoman, correct. My Cibola rips it up on the salt water beach and on farm fields.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What is that you folks are not grasping? There has NEVER been a machine like the Equinox - EVER. It brings the term "All Around" to life. Rain proof, water proof, saltwater, freshwater, gold nuggets, silver coins, relics - NO other machine can compete with it. The "Parameters" are no longer relevant:dontknow:.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. This is like asking "What's the best high-end motor vehicle ?" Well gee, what is the person looking for ? Top end speed ? (consider a corvette). Low end torque ? (consider a low-geared stump-puller pickup). Taking the kids to soccer practice ? (consider a mini-van). Hauling gravel from the quarry ? (consider a bobtail truck).

Just depends on the end use. And if someone asks what you want to use the detector for, and lists various venues, don't say "all of the above". In the same way you can't say "all of the above" for the motor vehicle question.

Well, I'm hearing about a company that will be putting out a top of the line machine that does it all AND comes with a :Metal Detecting Permit" that is valid anywhere in the USA.
Some weed smoking buddies from Cali just called me about it.
Yep,, uh huh. Better than a Vette with a big back seat.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people just can't do about $1k for a detector. Let alone $8k for a big GPX PI machine.

And some folks just do not want an Equinox. Or can't afford one. Or won't get one for whatever reason. Oh, they get it all right.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that you folks are not grasping? There has NEVER been a machine like the Equinox - EVER. It brings the term "All Around" to life. Rain proof, water proof, saltwater, freshwater, gold nuggets, silver coins, relics - NO other machine can compete with it. The "Parameters" are no longer relevant:dontknow:.

Sure there is! I hear the Cazador performance makes the Equinox seem like a Bounty Hunter Junior. :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL, a metal detecting permit good anywhere in the USA? Union troops camped on the White House grounds once. I really don't think they'll let you detect there.

OP
OP
S

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not looking for recommendations for myself. Just thought this would be fun for everyone.
The idea isnt to collectively come up with the one most favorite detector, but rather to see what you guys would chose as your 1 single machine to cover all your hunting needs As Best As Possible.
So far, there's some really inyeresting posts. Especially on the Beach grounds topic, even though that wasn't what I intended.
See, just keep it coming. It's all Good! 😊

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, in that case I like my XP Deus the best for all around. I'm down to two detectors now, that and the Tesoro Cibola. Cibola does very well in fields and beaches. I generally do not dig parks. I sold the Tesoro Vaqeuro (didn't need it) and the Minelab Equinox 600 (hurt my arm to use it) and no real advantage over what I had. I have used other Whites and Garretts in the past, plus a few other Tdesoros.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sssmiller, one BIG factor for any detector that might be considered, is the OPERATOR.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not looking for recommendations for myself. Just thought this would be fun for everyone.
The idea isnt to collectively come up with the one most favorite detector, but rather to see what you guys would chose as your 1 single machine to cover all your hunting needs As Best As Possible.
So far, there's some really inyeresting posts. Especially on the Beach grounds topic, even though that wasn't what I intended.
See, just keep it coming. It's all Good! 

so, 1 machine to all my needs as best as possible. For the last 6 years that has been my CTX. I'm still learning my brand new Equinox, which could likely replace the CTX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread