How would you choose a type of site to hunt?

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a map of my county. I did all my homework, and I ended up with quite a few sites of various types I could hunt.

There are farms/homesteads, seasonal homes, fishing cabins, hunting cabins, schools, railroad sites, logging camps.....lots of stuff. Most of the sites would have popped up around 1880, the hunting and fishing would have been 1910? And most sites abandoned between 1925 and 1940.

I'm mainly a coin shooter, but interesting relics are fun too.

The logging camps and railroad, I would think are mostly relic.

A farmer was probably poor, and not have much change to drop.

The schools were one room schoolhouses, not exactly "lunch money" kind of schools.

The hunting/fishing cabins, the people had some sort of loot, but weren't there a lot to drop things.

What would you choose?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mdbri

Apr 8, 2018
Maryland ,next to D.C.
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones you can get permission for. On a different note I’m sorry to contradict, dont sell farms short, I have found coins, workers tokens, loads of artifacts, same with school yards, kids wrestling/ playing/ fighting , I’ve found a lot at the ones I did, and there are the bottle dumps also,they have more than bottles too.lumber camps? I heard from old relatives there was gambling etc, me, I would hit whatever was closest, first choice farms dwellings schools

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I think that's what I'm gonna try.

I picked out a school, a larger fishing camp, couple homesteads, couple railroad foundations, the gangster burial ground, and a more promising ghost town/logging camp area.

All in kind of a loop throught the county, with a camp spot along the way.

Hoping next weekend will be go time, wanna start hitting places before the weeds grow.

Please keep us updated on your success.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The ones you can get permission for. On a different note I’m sorry to contradict, dont sell farms short, I have found coins, workers tokens, loads of artifacts, same with school yards, kids wrestling/ playing/ fighting , I’ve found a lot at the ones I did, and there are the bottle dumps also,they have more than bottles too.lumber camps? I heard from old relatives there was gambling etc, me, I would hit whatever was closest, first choice farms dwellings schools
No permission needed. These places are all on public property. I'm not the "ask permission" type. I cant find fact, but I would guess the county to be 75% public land of some sort. And the terrain anything from sand dune to deep swamp.

Just as an example, this is a school. well, it was, sometime between 1925, and 1945 anyhow. Surrounded by hundreds of square miles of public land, the land burnt in a forest fire a few years back. The school was named after the land owner, and some of the locals had the same name, all have long since gone, and all their land is now owned by the state. I've driven past this spot a thousand times over the last 30 years, and there has never been any sign of life ever existing.

Screenshot_20180424-042124.png

And this is a homested 1907-1916? I assume abandoned when Fritz died, but mapped as such in 1927. This is the one you could only get to through, and on land owned by a large organized crime group. Again, it's in the middle of thousands of acres of public land, and theres many more.

Screenshot_20180424-051837.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread