First post, first find.

Dedkot

Mar 9, 2018
Grass Valley, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad has had this old metal detector sitting around his house that he hasn't used in a few years. So I thought I would give it a go. Not knowing how to use it I watched a few videos and read a ton on this forum. After getting some basics down I went out back to give a try. First 15 minutes didn't find much. A few old nails and some really old shotgun shell heads ( UMC and Peters). Then I found a ring. Its probably a gumball machine ring but I'm hooked on this metal detecting.

Attachments

• IMG_32801.jpg
    IMG_32801.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_32791.jpg
    IMG_32791.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That actually looks Iike more than a gumball machine ring. Any marks inside or on back? And welcome aboard from North Central Illinois. 🙋

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Dedkot! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
tn_rings.gif
2nd - Real (or fake) - I would hold on to that since it was your very first (of many) finds! Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
D

Dedkot

Mar 9, 2018
Grass Valley, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ogre1190, There are no markings on the ring. It's heavy, so I was thinking sterling silver and maybe Carnelian for the stone.

vpnavy, Thanks I added some info under my profile.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring, that's better than any ring I've found so far :icon_thumleft:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s a sterling silver ring. 60’s/70’s style. I’ve been a Silversmith for over 40 years and recognize the metal from the photos. Great first find.

OP
OP
D

Dedkot

Mar 9, 2018
Grass Valley, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a sterling silver ring. 60’s/70’s style. I’ve been a Silversmith for over 40 years and recognize the metal from the photos. Great first find.
Thanks for the info Rustygold.
I didnt think I would find much when I turned on the metal detector. I was surprised when I dug up the ring considering it was just behind my house.
Dad wants the detector back now since he hasn't found a ring with it and told me to purchase one for myself. Lol, so looks like I will be reading a lot on metal detectors the next few days.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the budget, look seriously at the Minelab Equinox machines.

OP
OP
D

Dedkot

Mar 9, 2018
Grass Valley, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the budget, look seriously at the Minelab Equinox machines.

The Minelab Equinox 800 is one that I'm looking at. I'm also looking at the Minelab Monster 1000 since I have a gold fetish.. My dad has the Whites mxt 300. I'm pretty sure he was joking about me not using it. I'm sure the whites is outdated and I could do better but I really have to decide on what kind of detecting I want to do. Right now I'm consumed with finding gold nuggets. So I might purchase the Monster 1000 and use the Whites until I can convince the wife to let me purchase another.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s all it takes. Then your hooked. Welcome to tnet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread