Best detector for my needs?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s time I upgrade my detector and my brother wants to as well. We are going to start detecting more frequently together but our interests are all over the place. We want to look for gold and do some nugget hunting while also looking for other metals, relics, and coins.

Should we get all around detectors? Are those adequate for nugget hunting? Is it possible to get a relic detector and buy a gold specific coil that I can switch back and forth with? If so, what brands are best for that?

Also, does anybody know of any BOGO sites? KellyCo has BOGO deals sometimes but they’re for cheaper detectors and the site now mentions discount percentages rather than actual buy one get one free deals. We would like to be in the $1000 range. Thanks!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a big range and offers for a lot of choices. Are you using a Tesoro Umax still? The aforementioned Equinox is quite popular. The XP Deus is a great all purpose machine and is great in bad ground in iron. The Makro Kruzer is also up and coming. If at all possible, try to find a local dealer to go actually test drive a set of machines. If you're doing nugget hunting in a desert type environment, a PI machine should be under consideration, but it's useless if there is a lot of iron present. Lots of choices.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is only ONE machine that will fill your needs, the Minelab Equinox 800. :skullflag:

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a pretty clear consensus. Most sites, including KellyCo, are sold out and taking back orders. That’s a good sign but also makes it difficult to order and receive in a timely manner. It seems the Equinox 800 came out in January. What did people who want to do what we want to do use before the Equinox was released?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry used Tesoros, maybe others, maybe he can chime in. I have a Tesoro and XP Deus at the moment.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We used several different machines. One for dirt, one for freshwater, one for saltwater beach hunting, and another for gold nuggetshooting. The Equinox is the very first true "All Around" metal detector. Study up on it and wait for it!:skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one at an inflated price on ebay today, the waterproof headphones too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one at an inflated price on ebay today, the waterproof headphones too.
The headphones you saw are aftermarket ones not Minelab's. Seen several that have been modified and being sold on EBay.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would do the Equinox 800. I would search other dealers beside the one you mentioned. The BOGO deals are never what they appear to be. Find someone you can order from and not pay up front.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do the Equinox 800. I would search other dealers beside the one you mentioned. The BOGO deals are never what they appear to be. Find someone you can order from and not pay up front.

What do you mean by “order from and not pay up front?”

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by “order from and not pay up front?”

Means, if you order from a dealer that does not have the Equinox 800 in stock, don't pre-pay. Some dealers want the money up front (free loan), and some are willing to wait until they actually have the Nox in stock and can ship. BTW, the Equinox 600 is in stock at many dealers, and is essentially the same machine without the gold modes and without as fine adjustments on some things.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might as well ball yourself up in a corner and cry until you can get the Equinox. You're apparetly screwed until then. No other detector is capable of finding metals within the soil. ONLY the sacred Equinox!:sleepy2:

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might as well ball yourself up in a corner and cry until you can get the Equinox. You're apparetly screwed until then. No other detector is capable of finding metals within the soil. ONLY the sacred Equinox!:sleepy2:

Sounds like you may have additional recommendations?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread