Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I got my 800 about 3 weeks ago, and I was able to take it out 3 times before a club seeded hunt last Saturday. Here's my dilemma, the three times I used it I hunted in park mode because it was always in trashy areas, usually is for me. The field the seeded hunt was in however is very clean. I hunted in park mode because it was familiar and I did quite well. Couldn't be happier with the machine. Looking back however, I wonder if I would have had an extra advantage hunting in field mode.
I haven't had time to get back out and test field mode lately so I thought I'd consult the hunting community.
I'm currently using park 1 with the tone breaks set to have 12 and below quiet, 13 to 19 mid tone and 20 and above high tones.
What is your favorite mode and settings to hunt in?

Upvote 0

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With 12 quiet, you will miss
Nickels and gold. I know that nickels come in at 13 but they also hit at 12. More importantly, you will be missing the possible gold.
On seeded hunts, you are hunting shallow targets so the signals will be loud and solid.

OP
OP
Silverdrake

Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I'll adjust down to 12. I don't get out as often as I like, so wasting time digging trash chafes me and I probably pass most nickels up, but I'd hate to miss out on that gold ring on my bucket list.
My thought is if field mode would alow me to swing faster without fear of missing targets.
I know what you mean about seeded hunts being shallow and yet 2 of the dimes I pulled up were below 5 inches. Someone got overzealous I think hiding them!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Careful on swinging to fast. I almost missed a couple of silvers that were around 10" to 12". Just happened to here a slight high signal with no reading, and was smart enough to go back to find the signal. After I found the signals, they sounded great and they were silver:icon_thumright:. Against the Wind is right. A nickel can be a 12, with 13 mixed in. My nickels are a pretty solid 13 that would flip to 12 a bit. If there's an 11 or 14 mixed in, it's probably a pulltab, with the experience's I'm having.

Still learning my 600, but have been using the Park1 preset, no modification. Really hits deep silver. Good Luck with your new toy!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never used field but you can swing to fast with the Equinox. However sometimes on a mixed signal if you sweep faster you will find the dominant signal with others mixed. I have had mixed signals where when I dug my plug I had pennies, nickels and quarters with the penny being the dominant signal because if was the shallowest.

I have also had the high pitched blip but no reading and it seemed no matter what I did I couldn't get it back. Adjusted sensitivity, recovery speed and directional sweeping and still couldn't get it back.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
"I have also had the high pitched blip but no reading and it seemed no matter what I did I couldn't get it back. Adjusted sensitivity, recovery speed and directional sweeping and still couldn't get it back."

Yep, been there too!

doubloon hunter

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hunt in 50 tones, and let your ears judge whats good.... The audio is the secret to nox, not the screen.... tape over your screen and listen.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread